User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Who/what shop sells

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who/what shop sells

I am thinking of getting a second hand body 40d or 50d and am having trouble finding a business in Brisvegas that has a good range. Anybody know of any.

Thanks
    Peter
    Peter
    Canon s3is, 2 x 50Ds, Canon 18-55is, Canon 55-250is, ef 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon Nifty Fifty f/1.8,
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 ex dg os hsm, Sigma APO 150-500 f5-6.3 dg os hsm
    tripod, monopod, 4 didgeridoo's.
    Two million years of evolution and I'm still a Homo ergaster.
    ttp://www.flickr.com/photos/mustymustang/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a huge number of stores in Australia seem to sell a wide range of used gear unless it is very new.
    eBay will be your best option for those bodies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try http://www.cameramarket.com.au/ they are a site sponser too.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ebay have both 40D and 50D's at great prices at the moment. I bet you could find one in Brisvegas and get to look at it even before bidding.

Also try your local Gumtree ad's (although I do find some of the asking prices are way off market prices) - still does not hurt to make offers.
    Last edited by Brian500au; 20-01-2013 at 3:14pm.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks to all

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Not a huge number of stores in Australia seem to sell a wide range of used gear unless it is very new.
    eBay will be your best option for those bodies.
    Wayne there might be a bussiness oppertunity in that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gonk0 View Post
    You could try http://www.cameramarket.com.au/ they are a site sponser too.
    GonkO Thanks that was the first place I looked but nobody selling what I am after.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    Ebay have both 40D and 50D's at great prices at the moment. I bet you could find one in Brisvegas and get to look at it even before bidding.
    Also try your local Gumtree ad's (although I do find some of the asking prices are way off market prices) - still does not hurt to make offers.
    I am a bit of an old school boy and like to try and buy from a shop if I can. Sadly it is looking as though I will have to go online to buy.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Re the business selling second hand gear and a business opportunity, remember in the past we had a lot more stores selling second hand camera gear, but the net has caused them to dwindle down to almost non-existent. People sell online now, rather than via a second hand dealer (for anything). Up until last year we also had a magazine called Photographic Trader, but even that stopped being printed.

A second hand camera store could not compete with e-bay etc. After all, if I had a camera to sell, I could put it on E-bay and sell it for $100.00 or take it to a dealer and sell it for $100.00 and then get $80.00 cause the dealer needs to take commission to stay in business and profitable. If you were the seller, where would you sell your item to maximize return?
    Last edited by ricktas; 26-01-2013 at 10:36am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ricktas
    I do know what you mean with the competition that bricks and mortar stores are up against. You would think though that they would have a small range say 4 or 5 starter/higher end cameras for the person who is just starting out in photography or just wanting like I’m an inexpensive second camera as a backup. They might be able to sell some accessories with the SLR where you only sell the camera with a top end point and shoot. They could source their stock by asking some of their customers who are upgrading if they would trade their old cameras in.
    I may have found what I am looking for. One of the major stores has what I have been chasing. My price on a 50D with a 90 day warranty. Just got to talk the finance minister into now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you asked for Brisbane, but I did spot some used 40D & 50D at http://www.kirkscameras.com.au/ when I was there last week. They said they sell them on consignment. It may be worth a call?
    Last edited by hdn177; 28-01-2013 at 4:10pm.
    Hayden

Canon Collector
    My Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that B&M stores can't make used gear profitable enough to compete with eBay. Before the world of on-line, your local camera store would be happy to rape you when buying your used gear and resell it at a tidy profit, nowdays people won't settle for the low prices a B&M want to offer when they can do better via eBay and other online resources. Paypal and it's buyer protection has also significantly bolstered the confidence of buyers when using ebay, that they will get what they are expecting.

When it comes to high end gear though, one needs to be careful of eBay and the seller fees they charge. If I sold my D3s via eBay, the final value fees were over $300!!