Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens recommendations.. childrens portraits

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stacewyllie - Another thread you may be interested in. Close to your heart..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So looking at all of these, most of your issue is related to shutter speed. So if you are not confident to go with manual at this time, use Tv mode and set your shutter speed to 1/200th or 1/250th and let the camera decide the rest, and report back how you go.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Staceywyllie,

I know exactly the frustrations you are going through! I started to learn photography while my main subject was racing away on her hands and knees... It was a baptism of fire!! But basically, further to what everyone here has said, here are some pearls of wisdom I have learnt in the last three years...
    1) A fast shutter is a happy shutter when photographing a speedy baby (unless you specifically want motion blur). That 50mm 1.8 is a real gem for this! Av is good to use - widen up that aperture and the shutter will be faster, bump up the ISO if it isn't at least 1/200. A wide aperture is also great for isolating your little girl.
    2) Flash is fantastic for isolating movement (and sometimes even startling the child to a temporary stop). I like using bounced flash for a more natural result.
    3) Use a continuous AF - it will refocus as she moves. Get a lock on her, keep half pressing and it will refocus as she moves, compose and shoot. I have my Nikon on AF-C 90% of the time when shooting little ones.
    4) Practice with the various settings. It's a double bonus - you get plenty of baby shots AND you get lots of time to really work with your gear! It's a win / win situation.

Basically, I would only look at new gear when you have absolutely pushed your current gear to the limit and there is nothing more you can get from your lens. From this, you will learn exactly what you do and don't want in a new lens. You'll learn what focal length you tend to work at, what you need most in aperture and all that jazz.

Hope this helps!!
    Better known as Erin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to suggest a couple of things for you to try. I agree that the 50mm f/1.8 is a very good lens for portraits. Firstly you need to practice getting the eyes in focus every time, this is the key to a great portrait. I always try choose the inner corner of one of the eyes as a focus point, then do the same for the other if you have time. I know it is hard when they are moving so quickly. Secondly, try shooting in Aperture-priority with f/4-4.5. Shoot outside if you can or near a window with lots of natural light coming through. You want to have the light facing your portrait participant. You will need a speedlite to achieve the same clarity (without being overblown) indoors. Thirdly, try the continuous setting, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot. You will start to see a pattern in capturing your child and then composition will become much easier.
    My gear: Canon 450D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Canon 430EX II. My Flickr

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban Josefino's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the canon 50mm f/1.4. They do a great job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12