Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Good astrophotography places?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good astrophotography places?

Hi all!

I'm planning to go for a little photography trip before i start year 11 and want to focus on the astro part of things.
    Does anyone know what are some good places around sydney (max 3 hours away) that are good for astrophotography, seeing the milkyway etc?

was thinking about the blue mountains but not too sure if that is such a great spot?

Much appreciated

Andrew
    Life is short, Keep snapping!
    CC always welcome
    Nikon D5100 | Nikon D7100 | Bits and pieces. | Some glass here and there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew,

Star photography is a lot of fun.

To get the best result you need to go to a place where the ambient light is the lowest. The middle of Australia, in the desert is the best place. However you can find some good spot within about 3 hours from Sydney. Coonabarabran and the surrounding areas is where there are a lot of amateur astronomers, however it would take about 6 hours travel by car. If 3 hours is your limit, then I would head west from Sydney as far as you can travel, but you should try to get past Orange, Forbes or Parkes would be better. Anywhere out there would be fine, all you need is a flat open plain, with as few trees as possible. The thing is, don't go to the towns, but find a roadside stop or quiet side road out in the country.

As a short checklist of equipment you would need a camera, lens, spare battery, tripod and remote shutter release. A head torch is also very useful.

Another tip, practice before you go travelling. It is quite different taking star photos in the dark. You need to know your camera equipment well, and where the functions are located.

Finally, you need to plan the timing of you travels. A full moon is no good, before the moon rises is OK, a night with no moon is best for stars and Milky Way. The other variable is weather, you need a cloudless night.

I hope this is not to daunting. The best thing to do is get out there and practice. Make the most of what you have.

Good luck,
    John
    Nikon D300 | Nikkor: AF-S DX VR 18-200mm, AF-S VR 70-300mm, AF 50mm f/1.8D, AF-S 300mm f/2.8D Sigma: 180mm f/3.5 EX APO Macro, 120-300mm f/2.8 EX APO | Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III & TC-17E II, Sigma APO Tele Converter 2x EX DG, Kenko N-AF 1.4X Teleplus Pro 300 DGX, Wired Shutter Release, Manfrotto - Tripod 190XPROB - Head 804RC2, Monopod, Polarising, ND and UV Filters | Software: Windows Live Photo Gallery

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your suggestions John, indeed 6 hours is a bit too much, wouldn't mind though. I'm aware of all the factors so thanks for clearing that up! and indeed, preparation is a must. I've done quite a few night shots around the northern beaches and got some decent shots, i'm definitely familiar with all my equipment and where all the functions are.

Hoping for the best, especially in things i can't control! nature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried down south? I recently shot down at coalcliff and you can clearly see the light pollution from Sydney but it does not affect the light if you shoot away from Sydney
    Cartel Imagery
    Flickr

Nikon D7000
    Sony a65
    Canon 5D MKII

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i haven't been anywhere yet for such subject, but i've been looking down south, problem is, is the weather doesn't look too good. Might have to call it off until my next holidays. Unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just posted a couple of pics in a thread just so you can see how good it is down there.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...15872-Seacliff
    Last edited by mechawombat; 21-01-2013 at 12:20am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow! definitely some great shots there! Thanks for posting! Where abouts is down there? Seacliff?
    Last edited by andrewvid; 21-01-2013 at 8:18pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. it is super dark on the bridge so astro is able to be done pretty well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I'm also looking places that are dark enough for astrophotography around Sydney but I don't want to spend a night alone in the middle of nowhere, anyone can suggest camp locations where there are people around at night? Thanks!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soutinekane View Post
    Hello, I'm also looking places that are dark enough for astrophotography around Sydney but I don't want to spend a night alone in the middle of nowhere, anyone can suggest camp locations where there are people around at night? Thanks!
    light leak from otners will impact your results. Any light that is not added intentionally will result in less than good photos. so being where others are could well be detrimental to your photography goals
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could think about a weekend in a scenic country location that has daytime photography potential. Then at night, head 10/20 kms any way , turn down a side road and take your astro photos. Now where could that be, mmm, somewhere like Mudgee.
    There may be other places. 'tis unlikely trouble will find you in the middle of nowhere and you go back to town for a good nights/mornings sleep.
    Oh, and welcome to AP. Hope you enjoy and get involved. 'tis what helps forums work.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have mentioned, you'll need to wait for a new moon and a clear night to get the best results. I've been thinking of doing some as well and will be experimenting up in the blue mountains (shooting west, away from the city).

Otherwise, Parkes may be another good location if you'd like to travel that far.
    -Alan

D700 | D80 | 16-35 | 24-70 | 70-200 | 30 | 50 | 85

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there!
    Since posting this thread, I've gone to places overnight to try out some time lapses. I can tell you now, that from my experience, trying to get shots anywhere around sydney gives out less than alright photos. I did go for a trip to Hargraves Lookout in the blue mountains, about 1.5/2 hours away.. And even from there, the light pollution from sydney with a long exposure pretty much looked like it was sunset all over again. then the clouds came, but that's a whole different story haha.
    In my opinion, it's best to spend the time travelling a little further to come home not regretting it.
    Now I don't know any names of places I could give you because I had little experience going far away.. But one thing I can say with long road trips... Bring extra fuel. never know when you might need it.. especially if you get lost like me and my dad did and was critically low on fuel in the middle of no where one time...

anyway that's just my little tip thingo.. HTH!
    (..and i should really get posting more.. hard to do in year 12..)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lay-z View Post
    As others have mentioned, you'll need to wait for a new moon and a clear night to get the best results. I've been thinking of doing some as well and will be experimenting up in the blue mountains (shooting west, away from the city).

Otherwise, Parkes may be another good location if you'd like to travel that far.
    Parkes, I found has a fair bit of light pollution.

Out near Mudgee is super dark and really good for Astro.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechawombat View Post
    Parkes, I found has a fair bit of light pollution.

Out near Mudgee is super dark and really good for Astro.
    You have to get further out of Parkes 'cause it's a fairly flat landscape.
    Next time you're in Mudgee, drop in for a cuppa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechawombat View Post
    I just posted a couple of pics in a thread just so you can see how good it is down there.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...15872-Seacliff
    Was this thread moved or deleted? (Forum says I do'nt have permission to access it or it was deleted)
    I'd sure like to see it with regards to locations for astrophotography.
    Thanks.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MDof2 View Post
    Was this thread moved or deleted? (Forum says I do'nt have permission to access it or it was deleted)
    I'd sure like to see it with regards to locations for astrophotography.
    Thanks.
    You need to post an Intro for your account to activate - which you have now done - it takes a few minutes for the system to process that.
    Should be good now
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff