User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Networking and Gigabite Switches

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Networking and Gigabite Switches

Okay, so after a recent thread on NAS Storage and network speeds, I've been looking at how to increase the speed of my own network at home.

I have a Belkin N-600 ADSL2+ DB Wireless Modem Router, which I see on net forums is regarded as a particularly poor choice. It has only 100mps ethernet ports. I want gigabit ports, but I donb't want to shell out another $200 for a new modem/router.

I can get a Netgear GS605 5 Port Gigabit Switch for under $60 at Officeworks.Now, my understanding from reading what I can find about this stuff on the internet is that I can put this switch in between the computer and the Belkin, and then plug all of my NAS stuff into the switch instead of into the Belkin. That should give me a 1000mps connection for everything inside the network (so to speak) and only stuff going through the modem will be restricted to 100mps.

Is that right, or have I got it arse-about?

Cheers,
    Tim

PS I don't want to go buy a switch if that isn't the solution. I have a bad habit of buying stuff that I don't need. Came home from Bunnings the other day with a new water inlet thingy for the toilet when all that was required was a new washer.

- - - Updated - - -

Bear with me whilst I talk myself through this.

If I have my NAS drives connected through the switch, then they will no longer be able to be accessed wirelessly through the modem/router? Or will they still be accessible because the modem "sees" them through the connection it has with the switch? It will be at the slower wireless rate anyway.

Do I have to set up a new network in Windows 7 from scratch, or can I just try adding the switch and the attached drives to the existing network?

I'm going to have to find myself a tame IT geek I think. Wonder if they work for peanuts?

- - - Updated - - -

http://content.webcollage.net/apps/cs/mini-site/netgear/module/netgear/wcpc/gs605?channel-product-id=&enable-reporting=true&showtabs=

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind. I've lashed out and bought it, and it works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to suggest spending the $$ on a better modem/router to save $$ on electricity running 2 routers.

Too late now I guess...
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just marginally.