User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Focusing issue on D90

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Focusing issue on D90

I am getting to know my new D90 camera. I am using this with my old G type 28-80mm 3.5 lens.
    The problem I seem to be having is when using the AF, I find when focusing (centre point focus setting) I can see that the red ring is employed but after depressing the button to focus, nothing is adjusted by the lens. I end up with a photo that is of course, out of focus
    Not sure where to start looking?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The G lenses should be compatible with the D90. have you accidentally moved the switch on the lens barrel to M or the body to M, if so the lens will then me in manual focus mode, it needs be be in AF mode on both lens and camera
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ricktas, definitely not in manual mode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be way out here but check the custom setting menu f4 and check that the AE-L / AF-L button hasn't been reassigned to AF-ON.

Is your 70-300 working fine on the D90? Does the 28-80 work on your F65?

aside from that you could try cleaning the lens/body contacts?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't messed with the default settings on the camera body, then the D90 is setup such that when you focus in AF-S mode (that is, AF-Single shot mode, not to be confused with AF-S lens!!!) .. the camera will confirm with a beep before the exposure is allowed.

Do you hear this confirmation beep and does the camera allow you to fire indiscriminately .. that is without focusing first?

If so, then it's a camera setting.
    if not, then something else is wrong.

if you set the camera body up so that you are in AF-C mode(Continuous AF) using the C-S-M switch, then this will help to confirm if the camera or lens is focusing at least.
    Still maintaining the centre focus spot only, set the CSM switch to C mode, and focus (or try to) on different subject at different focus distances.
    Half pressing the shutter when in AF-C mode will have the camera constantly focusing around as you point at various subject matter.

Sometimes even just removing the lens and reattaching it can get the 'electronics' working again.

But as already said, try your other lenses first and confirm that they're all focusing OK.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aside from that you could try cleaning the lens/body contacts?[/QUOTE]

With what should I clean the contacts?
    Am waiting on battery charge to test other suggestions.

- - - Updated - - -

Can confirm F4 not reset, thanks

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks arthurking83. Have determined by your steps that I think it's a setting issue. Seems to be behaving as expected for the moment but will check other lenses etc also. Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you find it daunting trying to locate a specific setting to get AF to work as expected, there is always the full reset option for the camera body.

The camera comes from the manufacturer in a state that's quite easy to use.
    That is, if AF-S mode is used and the camera set to Single Shot mode(ie. not continuous), it should work that a half press of the shutter release will focus and then allow the exposure to be made.
    Without this focus confirmation, the camera should not allow a single shot to be taken.(Not sure how it works in continuous release mode tho).

The two button reset mode should be highlighted by two of the buttons on the camera with green dots on them.
    Most likely buttons will be on the top plate. Check the Exposure Compensation button if it has a green dot located next to it.
    Once you find this green dot and the second green dot button, you press the two simultaneously for approx 2sec, and the camera will do a default reset.

no need to sorry about losing any data or stuff like that, it's a simple internal config reset only .. doesn't reformat the card or stuff like that.
    (the reformat button combo is different with red markings, so the camera and or images will still be safe).

If you try this reset routine, the camera should operate as you remember it too, as long as there is no other issue(eg. lens or camera mechanical issues).

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, tis handy to know. Do you know if there is a way to change the default af settings as everytime the camera powers off it returns to an unwanted state of wide focus etc?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaibeau View Post
    Thanks for that, tis handy to know. Do you know if there is a way to change the default af settings as everytime the camera powers off it returns to an unwanted state of wide focus etc?
    Weird.
    Cameras settings usually stay put during off state(technically it isn't actually off, it's in a hibernation mode, and the only way to turn it off properly is to remove the battery)

So, I reckon if you have this settings weirdness, a reset to factory default(two button reset) may be a good option to go with.

I've done a few of them when the camera behaves a bit strange, such as not communicating with a lens or something.
    A few months back, I reset the D300, as I had it set up to my liking, but my son didn't like it that way. So a two button reset is a better option(quicker) than going through multiple menus to set up stuff that was easier for him to use.

I'm not fluent with settings on a D90, only ever had one very briefly top play with so I don't know it well, but I'd say that maybe this wide area AF setting is something you choose when you are in AF-A mode.
    I hate this AF-A mode(or more accurately, haven't got around to trying it thoroughly on my D800, yet), but I'll have a quick peek somewhere to see where the menu items is on the D90.

I'd recommend against using AF-A mode to begin with, as it chooses the focus point for you.
    To learn photography better(ie. become more proficient at it) you should choose either AF-C mode(I reckon the better mode), or AF-S mode, and for the sub mode type, choose only single point focus too.
    With that you also want to choose focus wrap .. and if you set the camera up this way, you keep your thumb near the multi controller joystick doodad on the back of the camera and move focus point manually to where you think it should be.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go here for a setup guide - works for me as a starting point.

http://www.outthereimages.com/images...etup_Guide.pdf
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates