User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As a woman, do you go out alone at night to take photos?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a woman, do you go out alone at night to take photos?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any of the females on this forum go out alone at night to take pics?
    I mean public places with a few people and cars around?

I've bought a new tripod and was wanting to take it out this week but all of a sudden I got a case of self consciousness and fear!!

What do you ladies do?
    Btw I just do photography for fun.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its hard isn't it? I'm in the same boat, i want to do some night work around Sydney to see what I can do to learn a bit more about light and exposure etc. I plan to visit a few freeways on the way home from a late shift and setup tripod next to car with door open and photograph curves of roads and bridges and rows of lights. For anyone to approach they would have to slow down and stop, which is enough time for me to throw gear and myself into car and lock doors. Another idea is to go to popular photographic spots around sydney harbour where there are other photographers around say Milsons point taking photos of the bridge or the Rocks area and no one hassles you. If you are having a night out somewhere, take the camera and go with partner/friend while you take some snaps. Another option is to go to tourist attractions near you that are open at night, not many people visit them them and you can photograph a new perspective perhaps- or if you book a hotel room in a city - ask for balcony and city views and set up tripod on the balcony and get great city views, we did this in Dublin and Kuala Lumpur. But Dublin is dead black at night, even the McConnell tower had no lights on (

If you have nice gear, insure it for its full value. That way you can pick up the tripod and swing it at an attackers head - I've done self defence and have learned to use whatever is at hand. People may feel it is stupid me saying what I just did about insurance, but I've been a victim of crime before and would not hesitate to do what I had to to save my life.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Scarlet,

Don't worry, i'll happily throw my canon 5d mk ii at any potential attacker! My life is far more important!
    I assume that my camera is covere under home and contents insurance but perhaps i need to find out for sure.

I'm in Melbourne btw and i was wanted to go somewhere in the city, I have a few bridges near me overlooking roads that i could try too. Perhaps flinders st station, just don't like bringing attention to myself!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I won't go alone anywhere where there arn't a reasonable number of people. I feel it is too dangerous these days.
    I either go in a group with other Camera Club, U3A members or a friend.
    Barbara

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wandapics_photography

K-x. Sigma 18-125mm 1:3.8 - 5.6 DC HSM, Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro, Sigma 100-300mm 1:4.5-6.7 DL. Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash,
    MZ-60. Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I would not go out alone..

Yes you check your Insurance as that may be just for the camera in your home..
    I have portable Insurance for what I take out it comes under Personal Effects> Specified Effects on mine, where you have list each item and its value and pay a bit more though worth it.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest to bild a group of Photographers Man and Women to met up and shot at night.
    You now what even for a Men its dangers to walk at night alone, I set this before let the Police do there job! And trow the good-doers in Yale its that Simple..

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had camera club and AP meets at night, it works well
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I set this before let the Police do there job! And trow the good-doers in Yale its that Simple..

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hansi. Who are these do-gooders you mean?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am confused too. Do Gooders would not be a danger to female photographers at night, it would be the do-badders.

I think anyone, no matter what sex you are, needs to take personal safety into account, whether it be day or night. I know a male photographer who was bashed and had is $10K worth of camera gear stolen in the centre of Hobart one week night.

I also know a photographer who died after falling off a cliff while taking sunrise photos. His gear, on tripod was found all setup at the top of the cliff. It is assumed he slipped and fell.

Personal safety should be something we all think about.

PS, I am not a woman, or have not gone out at night, as one. But you started your post with "Hi guys" so thought I could comment
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-01-2013 at 8:03pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely go out alone at night....usually I have at least one photographer friend with me or I drag my husband along if possible. I have done the occasional sunrise shoot on my own but it's not something I make a habit of. I guess that's why I enjoy the AP night meets so much...safety in numbers!
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a small country town and I wouldn't be game to go out at night as a woman.

I don't think a cross-dresser would be terribly well thought of by the locals.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    I live in a small country town and I wouldn't be game to go out at night as a woman.

I don't think a cross-dresser would be terribly well thought of by the locals.
    There goes that idea for the next 'self portrait' competition we have then.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Everyone!

Of course both men and women need to put their safety first at any time of day, I think as a womenn taking photos alone I sometimes feel more vulnerable.

I don't have that many people that I can just go and take photos with as none of my friends are that interested.
    Perhaps joining a photography club is an option but I haven't heard great things about them.

Thanks again.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    There goes that idea for the next 'self portrait' competition we have then.
    Getting the make-up on over the beard was always going to cause problems too.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm a firm believer in "don't look like a victim." I used to go out late and nearly anywhere in Sydney (admitted, over a decade ago). Straight back, shoulders back, head up. Never had a problem. But of cause I'm a bloke with a short beard.
    I understand your concern Andrea, and it just sucks that reality makes you ask your question. You need to feel safe where you go, and that can be out of your control. Maybe do some evening drives where you'd like to go. See how many people actually hang around there. Keep a mobile phone with you. Dress like a man.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone, some of you may remember another post by another member who was unsettled when she was followed by a man after taking photos one morning http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...epy-experience

I have rarely gone out by myself. I went one day during the day up a couple of back tracks behind McLaren Vale, but did not get out of the car. I have taken a few shots down at the top of the cliffs at Maslin Beach as the sun has been setting, but this has been in the main carpark, not the bottom carpark (more secluded) and right opposite houses. I did go out one night to try and get shots of the full moon coming up over Mc Laren Vale. I pulled my car up just before Peddler Creek Bridge, but I parked the car well off the road where it would not have been easily visible from the main road. I then walked up the hill a short distance to get a better vantage point of the moon rising over the hill. I left my keys in the ignition, as the car was within sight and I took a torch with me incase I needed to sprint back. I also kept my phone on me. I had originally set out to take photos opposite a petrol station on Commercial road, but had then decided to change and go over to Main South road, as it was a little darker and a bit closer and higher up than the previous location. I rang my husband when I arrived at the petrol station location and rang him to tell him that i was changing location and then rang him as i was leaving. I did not feel comfortable being out there by myself, so probably would not venture out again. It is far too easy to be dragged away at the drop of a hat, never to be seen again, and NO I am not exaggerating, this has happened far too often in far too many places.
    Is your life really worth the risk?? that is something you need to assess. Yes we should all have the right to roam around as we like, and enjoy the hobbies that we enjoy, but unfortunately we live in the real world, and there are people out there who will go to any lengths to take what they want and do what the like.
    Stay safe, and as others have suggested, join a group and go on night activities with them. You will probably gain far more knowledge from others than trying to do it by yourself. As for my night out - the photos turned out crap, once again

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dress like a man?!! Ha ha!!
    As long as i don't speak that should work!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aussie girl, I know what you mean.
    That's why I started the thread. There's something unsettling about going out alone, moreso in the evening or somewhere isolated.
    How amazing it would be if we could all just enjoy what we wanted, everybody just minded their own business and safety was just a given....always.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I employed a talented young lady in a dead end job many years ago. She was a great asset to us. Eventually she moved on to a better job. She pulled me aside on her last day and was overwhelming in her thanks to me. In her 4 previous jobs she had been subject to sexual harassment (thus why she'd left those jobs and seemed to be establishing an unstable employment history), and respected me so much for not putting her through that again. I felt awful that this was the world for some, and as a male, I had no idea.
    As said in my previous post, "it just sucks that reality makes you ask your question."
    Sorry, back to you ladies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast