User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  41
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Manual versus other modes

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a Macro shoot and another one who only uses Manual, for me there is no other way..

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might just add that alot of people who shoot in aperture or TV mode, kind of are shooting in manual mode.
    So whether you want to use the +- EV to change shutter speeds in aperture mode or switch over to manual mode and manually change the shutter speed, that's a choice that's yours.
    I do use full manual just because I want to know exactly what I'm doing ( and no I don't need to make a song and dance about it!)
    As an example, in a given seascape composition, I might need a very large depth of field (F16) if a foreground rock is close to the camera and I might not want the camera to pick my shutter speed because the way the water movement, I specifically want 0.3 seconds. The variable I will alter therefore , is my iso (to an acceptable upper limit) , or alter my filter setup to suit the scene, or alter my shooting to take bracketed images or focus stacked images.

The risk of taking the shot in AV mode is that the camera selects the shutter speed required at a given iso, OR, it selects the iso and I end up with a shutter speed I don't want. (might pick 1 second for instance)
    The risk of taking the shot in TV mode is that the camera selects the aperture required at a given iso which may be too narrow for what I need. (might choose F2.8 iso 100 when I know I can go up to iso 800 on my setup with clean images)
    The risk of taking the shot in fully auto mode is that I have no control of the depth of field /shutter speed combo to achieve the same look.

There are many other such scenarios where full manual is of benefit but I think you're much better off knowing the situations where it is less appropriate as well , especially when learning the ropes.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly my situation as well Dylan, And for all the same reasons
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a need for both modes. Auto is handy for off the cuff shots where things happen all of a sudden. Manual mode is handy where time allows to set up the shot. Have used both and my camera is set on auto and when needed manual.
    Last edited by John Witte; 02-04-2013 at 1:16pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Experiment with both modes, you will soon find out what is best for you
    Cheers,
    Trish
    Canon 5D11 - various lenses, mostly primes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing that you are fairly new to photography I would suggest that you keep using the manual mode as much as possible. You will learn your camera and how to determine the proper exposure with the various settings. If you want to be totally automatic then a good point and shoot will fill your needs. I take 98% of my pictures in manual mode. The reason being, is that I use my digital SLR much like I did my large format view camera. I use a tripod, lock up the mirror, use a cable release, ect. My Canon 5D11 has several custom functions that I have programed to auto for a hand held use when doing street photography or pictures of m grandkids. It all really depends on the type of photography you want to do. Learning your camera in manual will give you confidence in how to use your equipment and knowing camera settings
    Last edited by arthurking83; 16-05-2013 at 5:50am. Reason: removed external link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite a topical thread given I'm just a week into my dSLR and learning my way around the camera. Trial and error (more the latter) have proven my greatest teacher as a venture to the beach on Saturday evidenced. There I was enjoying the freedom of manual mode, firing away with reckless enjoyment at the thought of creating magnificent works of art only to find of the 160+ pictures I took only two were decent. And they were the ones I shot in auto mode.

Dejected yet spurred on I examined my faults: High aperture setting fort hat must have DoF, slow ISO, med/fast shutter speeds and an ND filter on a cloudy day resulted in some dark, moody pictures (utter rubbish in other words). I've now started with something mentioned earlier in this thread: Shoot one or two shots with auto and get an idea. Then add a bit of personal magic and 'compose'; I've found with practice (another 100+shots) I can get a picture 'better' than the auto results.

And as I read and learn more and more about my camera through here and a number of other resources (print and web) I think in a month or so I may be able to post a picture or two up here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How Ya going Retro, Why not post a shot in the Beginners CC forum, You might get a surprise with all the help you will recieve , Your on the right track though, You just have to get a handle on the triangle , Aperture, ISO and shutter , But you are already headed in the right direction
    Last edited by William; 20-05-2013 at 2:35pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^ what William said.
    It's good to read and take photos and think you are learning (which, no doubt you are). Though posting some photos for feedback will help you a lot.
    "How could I do this better?' or " I was reasonably happy with this. What do you think?"
    Last edited by Mark L; 20-05-2013 at 11:30pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep...dropped my first photo in the Beginner's section for commenting. And, as I get the time and think that I've got something worth viewing I'll continue to place a few more here for your collective thoughts and wisdom.

I will say post processing will be extremely light on my pictures. I do have Photoshop Elements but asides from the 'Auto' adjustments offered in the 'Quick' panel I don't go much further. One thing at a time...learn to re-shoot pictures then learn post processing.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be remembered that AV & TV are NOT auto, they are manual modes. If I used full manual when shooting motor sport or any other action for that matter I wouldn't get many shots as by the time you set the camera the moment has gone. The same goes for wildlife and other animals not in a fully controlled environment. Landscape and posed shots are a different story as you have time to adjust your camera to slight changes and you can get a number of shots of the same thing to test your settings. I started in full manual then progressed to AV and TV modes which I still use most of the time. I do use full manual but only rarely.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Canon (as one example and other manufacturers are similar) the full nomenclature is:

These are then abbreviated to: “P”; “Av” and “Tv” on the Mode Dial Selector.

The “AE” in the camera mode’s name, is an abbreviation of “Automatic Exposure”.

And in these three camera Modes (P, Tv an Av) there is indeed a level of automatic functionality, which is NOT present in M (Manual) Mode.

WW

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    It must be remembered that AV & TV are NOT auto, they are manual modes. If I used full manual when shooting motor sport or any other action for that matter I wouldn't get many shots as by the time you set the camera the moment has gone. The same goes for wildlife and other animals not in a fully controlled environment. Landscape and posed shots are a different story as you have time to adjust your camera to slight changes and you can get a number of shots of the same thing to test your settings. I started in full manual then progressed to AV and TV modes which I still use most of the time. I do use full manual but only rarely.
    some see them as semi manual modes, whilst others refer to them as semi auto modes. spose it's just a matter of semantics. in the end people can use auto, semi auto manual, or manual mode. we keep seeing it is the photo that matters, discussed across threads and forums. a good photo is just that, no matter how it was taken. As long as the photographer knows their modes and understands how they work, they should be free to use whatever they want to
    Last edited by ricktas; 31-05-2013 at 6:06am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123