Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Photo Editing Software

Hi,

Just starting out ans was wondering which editing software I should buy and where to purchase? I understand Photoshop is good but which version? Also is there a cheaper place to purchase than Adode?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazon is the cheapest that I have found.

Are you a student/teacher? My understanding is that they are pretty pedantic about checking you have an edu.au email account.
    Cass
    I switched my camera off auto in November 2012, and I have been busy reading and learning and practicing ever since.
    My kit is basic: Canon 1000D (two kit lenses) + 50mm f/1.8 + a tripod/monopod + Lightroom4

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love light room 4 I find it very friendly to use. Adobe offer a 30 day free trial so give both photo shop (6 is the latest) and Lightroom 4 and have a play to see which you like best
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bossjanie/

Jane Living is Loving.. Loving is Living

Canon 5D111 - Several Canon Lens

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have the choice of free ones too , Rawtherapee is I think is a free product for raw development and Gimp is a free Photoshop alternative.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^. (Tick.) With these two, the interfaces are rather different from Photoshop, but you can still learn the ideas behind the processing of images. But from what I have seen of Adobes PS Elements, it is also different from Photoshop.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop Elements does differ slightly from the full version but not a great deal. I have been using it for over six years now (version 5 and now 10) and I'm still finding new things it is capable of. It will do everything and more than most photographers will ever need at a reasonable price. I got mine from B&H.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with Picasa (free from Google) moved on to Photoshop CS5 (which was very expensive and intimidating to learn to use) and now find Lightroom 4 suits my needs best at a very reasonable price. It seems to be much more suited for photographers and is easier to learn.
    Can't beat Picasa for a free program which does the basics though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which computing platform do you use? Windows or Apple?

If you are on Apple, and on a budget, Aperture (which is very similar in functionality to Lightroom) will serve most of your needs, at a fraction of the price.

Lightroom is brilliant for processing raw images. It has built in lens correction profiles for most lenses (essential if you shoot in raw), and adjusting things such as white balance , exposure (curves) and colour balances are easy. I find that Lightroom serves my needs for 95% of the photos I work on.

What does Lightroom not do?
    1) Panoramic Photostitching (Photoshop does it). However, there are numerous third party applications (some free) that will do this for you.
    2) HDR - High Dynamic Range processing. Again, a function default in Photoshop. Again, numerous cheaper (some free) applications on the internet exists to do this.

Hence - why do you need photoshop then? The last aspect, not mentioned above, is the ability to layered photo editing in Photoshop using layer masks and the ability to blend layers into a photo - which is perhaps the most commonly used aspect of Photoshop. You can not do this in Lightroom.

I find that I only go to Photoshop for panoramas, HDR and when I want to work with layers.

Do you need CS6? Jury is out on that one. I recon Photoshop Elements (the reduced and much cheaper version) will typically be all you need.

My recommendation:

1) Go for Aperture (if you are on Apple and on a tight budget).
    2) Go for Lightroom if you have a bit more money to spend (Lightroom runs on Apple Mac OSX and Windows) and augment Lightroom's functionality by using third party apps as needed (pano's, HDR, etc.)
    3) If money is no issue, go for Lightroom and CS6 through Adobe's creative cloud. Google it for more details.
    EOS 5d Mk II | XF100 | Sony HDR-CX350 | Sigma 20mm f/1.8 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 24-105 f/4L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L Mk II

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Gimp - Free
    Paint Shop Pro
    Photoshop Elements
    Photoshop Lightroom
    Aperture
    Photoshop

Cheap and Expensive are relative. Some see photoshop as expensive, others think for the top of the line product is is a reasonable price to pay. I would suggest Elements or Lightroom if you use PC or Aperture if you use Mac, at a beginner photographer level.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What brand camera do you have? As you're just starting out, it may be worth playing with the PP software that came with your camera. This together with something free like Gimp (which can do layers) can help you learn while you're also learning about your camera.
    I still only use DPP, Canons free software.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    What brand camera do you have? As you're just starting out, it may be worth playing with the PP software that came with your camera. This together with something free like Gimp (which can do layers) can help you learn while you're also learning about your camera.
    I still only use DPP, Canons free software.
    This one Mark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a photography workshop in Busselton- when I asked one of them which would they recommend the answer was Lightroom. I think this is a great starting point, if you really advance then you may consider Photoshop CS5. Lightroom is quite user friendly
    Last edited by ricktas; 13-01-2013 at 2:13pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightroom

As a keen amateur I have both Photoshop elements (10) and Lightroom 4.

I must admit I use Lightroom more than I do any of the other programs , a big plus for me is the ability to sort and retrieve my photos within the Lightroom workspace.

Any editing and adjusting that I need to do is also done in Lightroom
    Hope this is of some interest use
    regards
    Graham
    Graham

Nikon D70s D 300
    Nikon 18-200 Nikon 60mm

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. Much appreciated

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If members want to learn lightroom we have a great video resource here : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...earn-Lightroom

They are quite long and in-depth, but you will learn a lot by watching them and practicing as you go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use paintshop pro x5 and find it great ,have been using paintshop pro since number 5 when jasc owned it .

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brettbickle View Post
    i use paintshop pro x5 and find it great ,have been using paintshop pro since number 5 when jasc owned it .
    I'll drink to that ... great program. However, if I don't want pixel level editing, and just want the other stuff - ACDSee is my weapon of choice - and an excellent program.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use CS5 and love it. Although I work at a TAFE so therefore was able to purchase at a discount. I did instructional courses on how to use it (Highly recommend, it can be very intimidating) but once you have the hang of it, there's no turning back

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trialing pixelmator atm for pixel level editing. Currently on special at $16 I think. Not too shabby but I need more time with it b4 making any conclusions about it.
    But Lightroom does 90% of my general editing needs. Aperture's very similar too.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Photo Bizarro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out with Photoshop as I had it from days before I was into photography, and I still find Photoshop to be the better tool for getting what I want out of my photos. However I now also use Lightroom for RAW conversion, basic editing and library management.
    My name is John.
    www.jrfraser.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast