User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: ND Filter Help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ND Filter Help

The screw on type , Hi guys delving into an area I have'nt tried before, First up I dont want an ND 400/9stop , A little less to get some water movement shots around 1 to 2 secs at 8 to 9am in the morning also to play with slower shutter speeds of Surfing and waves , Anybody got any ideas on what strength to get , I was guessing 4 or 5 stops may do the trick , We will be using this with the normal ND grad filters as well , I was thinking this which is 4 stops or the X 32 which is 5 stops , Would these work do you think ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd use the camera meter to determine what density you 'need'.

That is, put yourself in the situation where you require this slower shutter speed, and set the camera up so as to get this required water movement.
    Of course in exposing the image as you'd prefer you will of course either over expose it, or you will stop the aperture down to a level you may wish not too.

But at least you get a more accurate indication of what it is you actually need, as opposed to replies from us as to what we think you may want.

Personally, I'd be inclined to use aperture in preference to over exposure(which is what I actually did a long time ago, when I got my one and only ND filter).

And finally, why the screw on type ND, and not the Cokin P type?
    That is, I think you already have the Cokin P type system

If that's correct, then my natural inclination would be to suggest a 3stop Cokin ND.

And have you heard of the Cokin 121F as well. It's (apparently) a 3 stop grad, but the graduation is not to a clear section, it's graduated to more of a 1 stop lower section.
    I reckon it's more of a 4 stop ND at the top half, and maybe 1 or two 2tops on the lower half. In fact there is no real half to this one, is a linear graduation from dark end to lighter(not clear!!) end.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply Arthur, We'll probably use it in conjunction with a 2 stop ND Grad filter, Well thats the plan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill if you're going to use on medium to telephoto, maybe look at a vari-nd, can also be used on your wide angle, but you won't get the full range
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought an ND fader ( Vari-ND )? to go on a 35mm lens, had a quick play last night with it but am about to have a look at the results not that the conditions were all that favourable but from off the camera looked promising price was about $56's Inca brand can't afford the more expensive ones. local purchase so I was OK with that. The 77mm was about $145 it will have to wait, but might go Cokin Grads for that one.

Milton