User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Upgrading from a 550D - the 6D or the 5Dm2?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrading from a 550D - the 6D or the 5Dm2?

Hi Guys

Well. I've been looking to upgrade to FF for a looooooooong time. I have $2k sitting just waiting and I can't choose between the 6D and the 5Dm2.

The main reason that I am looking to upgrade is for the ISO capabilities- even with my fast lenses (85 1.8 and 50 1.4) I am having trouble taking photos in certain situations (my aquarium if you must know) and using 3200 ISO on the 550D is just traumatic in PS haha. The other reason I want the ISO capabilities is I've seen what they can do inside for portraits (wedding photography). It doesn't hurt that they are semi water proof (splash proof I guess).

I have heard that there's a small manufacturing ##### in the 6D (just a rumour, not sure what it is), and before the 5d3 came out, the 5D2 was the bomb camera to have. I do like the idea of the 6D being lighter though..

My question is- what would you all recommend? They are exactly the same price at Harvey Norman which is where I am looking to buy the body from.

I shoot mainly landscapes but I enjoy doing portrait work and photographing my pets Have also done a few weddings as a second shooter and have another coming up in Feb.

Thanks guys- appreciate any thoughts provided.

Cheers
    Imogen
    Canon 6D, Canon 550D, Canon 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 100mm Macro f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-5.6

www.imogenbrandrakers.wordpress.com

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a quick look at the images on your blog I reckon you should splash the cash on the 5D 111 and not be left wondering in the future if you did the right thing if you buy the "lesser" body if you have the funds to do it now.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andrew... as much as I would like to splash the cash so to speak hehe I really need to stick to this budget and i would like a new body soon to use for events coming up. My question is I guess, will the 6D's image quality be as good as the 5D2? I've heard they are both great cameras...it's just choosing between them. I dont believe the GPS or the Wifi options are things I would use, the one thing about the 6D i like better is the lighter body- coming from a 550D it will be less of a shock haha.. but I don't want it if the 5D2's images will be nicer quality.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban El Pedro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 6D will be much better in low light and is in your budget. I'd get on it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think i am leaning in the same direction El Pedro, thanks!

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban El Pedro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the manufacturing problem I haven't heard or experienced anything with mine. There was an issue uploading videos to YouTube or something along those lines but I don't use the video so didn't read into it too much. It has been fixed with a firmware update which is available on Canons website.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go the 6D, But here is a great review and comparrision between the 6D and 5D Mk11

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! Roosta, I have just finished reading that review- good stuff. Picking up the 6D tonight from HN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a great review, thanks Roosta
    My gear: Canon 450D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Canon 430EX II. My Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    picked up the 6d last night got it for $2105 at HNorman.