Thread: Nikon D800/E Vs Canon 5D M3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon D800/E Vs Canon 5D M3

Hello all,

Long time no post (ha ha).

Well, I am in the market for a new DSLR and it has come down to either the Nikon D800/E or the Canon 5D M3. I have read reviews on both, and with everything they each have pro's and cons.

I was wondering if I can get some first hand information to anyone that has used either of these bodies? Incase you wish to know, it will mainly be used for Motorsports / Action photography, and some Video recording too, along with other landscape photography.

It will be coupled with the Nikkor 2.8 or the Canon 2.8 IS, pending on the brand I go. I am leaning towards the D800 cause I currently own a D200 and D2x, but the more I read about the 5D M3 the more I keep second guessing the Nikon, I guess I have to play around with both before I make a full decision.

Apologies if this has already been asked!

Regards,
    Aaron

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a difficult thing to answer as I have not used the Canon, but I will do my best. I have the D800E and think it is a superb camera for my use, which is birds, wildlife, landscape and general photography. I do not use video nor require high fps.

The Canon 5D MIII seems to have better video, from all reports, and more fps, which may be of use for your motorsports/action photography.

Whatever your decision, they are both superb cameras and will give excellent results. As you say, you really need to play awith them to see how they are in your hands and whether the ergonomics and menu system works for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first look , I would have said get the D800E as you already have Nikon gear , I have used the 5d mkIII , Excellent camera as well , From what you want ( Not sure of the Nikon equivelant) But the 7D sounds like what you need , It also has excellent Video capabilities , Just a thought
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon D800/E Vs Canon 5D M3

Aaron like William said 7d is a great camera but one thing to consider is the crop factor very different to a full frame not good if you want to use very wide lens you will find in loss of quality and the other thing is more noise at high ISO or should I say it is more visible anything above 400 ISO is not recommended but with the full frame like the 5d mark 2 I can go upto 3200 I have heard that the noise performance is better in the canon 5d mark 3. The other benefits of a full frame is the detail in your shots. I have not seen the Nikon camera so cannot comment on it.
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you already have a D200 and D2x, then by implication you must already have a lens or two from the Nikon lineup.

If this is the case, then it'd make more sense to go with the D800(or E) simply because of the gear you already have.

Unless you really don't mind selling off all your current gear, then most other comparisons between the cameras are secondary in terms of importance.

I suppose it also begs the question, do you do other forms of photography apart from motorsports?
    Also, how much(or what type of) other Nikon gear have you already invested in?

D600 is probably a better option for use as a sports camera in Nikon terms .. and this will also allow you to use any extra funds to go towards more or better lenses too.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback.

I so have lenses, but both are Sigma and are being sold aswell. I will only have the 70-200 2.8 with whatever brand I go, as it seems to be my most used lens.

I really only do action stuff, but would like to do more types of photography so I guess a bit of everything. Other then that I only have a speedlight for my Nikon aswell. The best thing I think I should still do is have a play with both the 5D and D800 and see which one I prefer then go from there.

Which one would have better quality at high ISO's? I have seen photos taken with ISO 3200 on the D700 and it was amazing, but I know Canon have always had amazing quality when it comes to the higher ISOs, but haven't seen much of it first hand compared to the Nikons.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D800 has amazing high ISO ability. I regularly shoot up to ISO6400 and I just run it through Noiseware Professional and get amazing results. The reason I use high ISO is due to my birding and some of that is in dark undergrowth and combined with long lenses and the requirement for high shutter speeds, this necessitates the need for high ISO.

I think the high ISO is quite close with both cameras, but the D800 has better Dynamic Range up to about ISO1600 and then they are both pretty much line ball after that, according to testing sites like DxO Mark. If DR is of significance to you, than the extra DR of the D800 might be an advantage to you.

This was taken with the D800 + 500 f4 VR handheld, ISO6400, 1/320sec, f5.6. It has also been cropped to approximately DX size in post process.

This was taken with the D800 + 300 f2.8 + 1.4x TCII (420mm) handheld, ISO6400, 1/1667sec, f8. I used a higher shutter speed as these two were flitting about very quickly. Also, cropped to less than DX in post process!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow, that is brilliant. I think I shall go to the Camera Store on the weekend and play around with one!