User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autism Awareness - a video of my son I'd like to share :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Autism Awareness - a video of my son I'd like to share :-)

Hey all,

I'd really like to share with you all a video that my wife took of our little boy who has autism.

He is three years old and he is an awesome little kid. Life is not always easy; in fact it rarely is for anyone, but with our son comes lots of extra challenges because of autism...

Just 2 months ago he made his first friend at day care. It took almost 2 years for this to happen, but it has now happened and I am so proud of him! He has never sang a song with us or others, and will never dance to music with others. We have been working very hard in this area with his Occupational Therapist because this sort of thing helps with social interaction, and just before Christmas he started singing with me!

On New Years Eve we went into Newcastle to watch the fireworks at midnight. It was a great night. On the way to the car it turned into a absolutely fantastic night, when my son, on hearing some live music, decided to dance! He danced and danced and danced! He knew people were watching him and he didn't stop. A crowd formed and he still kept dancing!!!

It was a huge breakthrough, and one I am shouting to the world because I am so unbelievably happy for my son! :-)

We recorded his dancing, and I have uploaded it to Youtube. You can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JADLarTyQPY

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thit is really great to see and when your kids are going through stuff it's even harder but when you see these moments and reflect back on them during the more difficult times it makes it all worth while.

Look forward to hearing & seeing more great moments in the future.

Milton

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fantastic! as a mum of two autistic boys, that just melted my heart, I know how hard it is for them. He seems to be doing REALLY well. Keep doing what ever it is you're doing, it's obviously the great parenting that's making the difference
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments Milton and yummymummy!

I work with adults who have disabilities, and some of those I support have autism, and other than the fact that I love my boy, I know what sort of world my son will grow up to live in, and while most of us who work in disabilities really do work hard and have made great changes to the lives of the people we support, I want a better life for my son. I don't want him to end up living in a group home ever, and the more he can do himself, the better it is going to be for him. The really big one for him is his social skills, which are very poor, but they are improving.... The only way is up!

He is doing really well, but as you would know yummymummy, when you are working with someone who has autism, it is a balancing act when encouraging them, so that you don't put pressure on them... My son just shuts down when he feels a particular level of pressure on him. That was what blew us away that night; he had never ever done that before, but something just clicked for him... maybe it was the beat, the darkness around him... dunno... but while he hasn't broke into such a big dance again since then, it has improved his confidence levels which is having a positive impact in other areas of his life. Yesterday and today he has been trying really hard to use a toilet rather than a nappy, and last night he did his first wee in the toilet!!!! Hasn't done another once since, but he keeps trying every 30 minutes or so! lol but he feels great about himself, and that is what is important

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Homer,
    What magical moment for your family .... It made me smile wide. I hope you don't mind (being on YouTube I have assumed it would be OK) but I have shared it with a couple of friends, one who also has a son with autism among other problems and I know she will be smiling wider than me
    Blessings to your family and may this be the beginning of new wonders
    Cheers Cargo

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Cargo, I have no problem with you sharing

I opened a Twitter account a long time ago and have recently got to using it! I've shared it there and it has been retweeted by lots of people... I'm all for getting conversation going about autism and other disabilities like ADHD; I was firstly very proud of my boy for the huge step he made, but then I saw it as a great opportunity to get other people talking about autism using something as cute as a video of a dancing kid!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Homer, dancing is definitely one of his strong abilities. None of my boys could dance like that at three. It was a little dark but he seems to be a good looker as well. Hope this year brings many steps for your boy and joy to his parents. My wife works with special needs kinder kids and often speaks with real joy when she relates a story of a step that one of her little ones has made that day, particularly the kids on the spectrum. I'll copy the link to your U-tube clip onto my wife and she will no doubt send it on to her colleagues in Yooralla. Thanks for sharing the clip
    Cheers Kieran

Tamron 90 macro, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Cannon 50 f1.8, Cannon 18-55. Cannon 550D

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing that Homer - it made me smile too. Wishing you continued new experiences where your boy can connect with the world.

he feels great about himself, and that is what is important
    This was wonderful to read!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Thanks for your comments Milton and yummymummy!

I work with adults who have disabilities, and some of those I support have autism, and other than the fact that I love my boy, I know what sort of world my son will grow up to live in, and while most of us who work in disabilities really do work hard and have made great changes to the lives of the people we support, I want a better life for my son. I don't want him to end up living in a group home ever, and the more he can do himself, the better it is going to be for him. The really big one for him is his social skills, which are very poor, but they are improving.... The only way is up!

He is doing really well, but as you would know yummymummy, when you are working with someone who has autism, it is a balancing act when encouraging them, so that you don't put pressure on them... My son just shuts down when he feels a particular level of pressure on him. That was what blew us away that night; he had never ever done that before, but something just clicked for him... maybe it was the beat, the darkness around him... dunno... but while he hasn't broke into such a big dance again since then, it has improved his confidence levels which is having a positive impact in other areas of his life. Yesterday and today he has been trying really hard to use a toilet rather than a nappy, and last night he did his first wee in the toilet!!!! Hasn't done another once since, but he keeps trying every 30 minutes or so! lol but he feels great about himself, and that is what is important
    oh, I know all too well what it's like if you push them. My eldest on the spectrum is now nearly 15. When he got his report card from school at the end of last year, I was blown away.. so happy with his marks, a B+ average across the board... he replied with, "meh, I could have done better." so, I said well, if you could have done better, show me.. show me how much better you can do with next years marks. I find he does better and greater things when issued with a challenge, and more so when he thinks it was his idea He's a brilliant kid, just needs pushing in the right direction some times. My 10 year old, is the same. I had a parent teacher interview last year for him.. I walked in, and the teacher said " oh, I need to talk to you" .. first thing that popped into my head was, omg, what has he done now...lol..... turns out, my little boy is a mathematical genius!! *puff chest out with pride* he's adding and multiplying 5 digit numbers in his head! He can work the work out in his head faster than most of the other kids can work it out on paper . So we're nurturing that talent that he has, and hopefully he'll put it to good use when he's older. They're all good at something, and all get interested in different things, and once they are, look out.. the transformation is incredible. I think your little guy has found his something in his dance. Thanks again for sharing your video.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the comments

Kieran, I can definitely relate to how your wife feels when a child when they take a new step. There are a couple people I am supporting at work who when I am driving home after a flat out day, I think about little things that they did that was new for them and it worked out really well for them.

Allie, it doesn't bother me in the slightest how long it takes for him to be able to go to the toilet... Today he hasn't even tried to go to the toilet, but that's ok. He actually went to his first day back at day care since the week before Christmas, and it didn't go very well; not just because of the break, but they have moved him into a new room, and also got a new teacher. He has had so many changes today that since he has been home he has been very upset..... I just wish I could take it all away.

yummymummy, it sounds like you have some very clever kids! I always tell all my kids to find out what they like and what they are good at, and then find a way to make money doing it, and then they will be happy and be able to earn a living... My son is no different, and I know that he will one day find that one thing that he does so well that he will stand out for that, and not because of his autism.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Homer, the time taken for any achievement is irrelevant. What I thought was wonderful is that he feels great about himself no matter the occasion - I think that was the most special thing about his dancing is that he was enjoying himself. I also understand your desire to take away his feelings of distress but you are there for him during these events and while that is sometimes all you can do (like any parent) it still means a lot - probably more than you are aware.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Homer - I enjoyed your film clip very much. My 5 year old grandson Daniel has autism - he & his mum live here with me. Your clip reminded me of Daniel. They are a joy. Thanks for sharing. Lesley

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I thought autistic kids didn't dance. Shows how much I know. Great to see.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyones comments. I've been offline for a few days and just reading your posts has made me feel good

I just read the first comment someone has left on Youtube for the video just then and it has resulted in me feeling pretty sad, so reading your comments have helped me to feel a bit better.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homer that bought tears to my eyes, what a joyous moment to have seen and captured on video. Heartfelt thanks for sharing
    Cheers
    Keith.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comment Speedway :-)

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignore the idiot on youtube. It was just bad luck that he stumbled across your video, though he probably watches a lot and puts derogatory comments on many.
    It must be a great memory and one that will be built on.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Steve. I gotta let it go.... It is so stupid of me, I know, to get hung up on it! I actually feel really stupid that I have been so focused on it! lol I suppose I am so well aware of the hardship ahead for him that I hurt for him. When the person made the comment that it wasn't human, I took it first as a description of my son, but I think he/she didn't mean it in that way....

We go out to shopping centres and places like that, and my son often sticks out and I know people think stuff about him, and about my wife and I. I don't care what they think of me, but I don't want my son to be treated differently because of something he has no control over. I posted the video only because I finally had on video a moment where people were looking at him because he was doing something cool, and not because he is throwing a tantrum. When we are out, people don't understand that he is throwing the tantrum because HE doesn't understand. So I thought the video might bring emotions of happiness and laughter to autism instead of the usual annoyed feeling people often have towards my boy, and others who have autism.

Anyways, maybe I am still a little too focused on what the commenter said.... Maybe I gotta get a life that includes other things than my boy! I haven't even had any time to take any photos!!!!! I don't remember the last time I took a photo! lol Anyways, thanks again for everyones comments

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homer, did you have a look at his other postings? He is quite a sad and ignorant individual and rains on many other peoples parades - if I had any choice he would be the last person I would let effect your joy. I suggest you block comments from your videos. People who are interested will still find them via other means and those that are only out to post nasty comments are then not given the opportunity.

BTW the "not human" comment was referring to him not posting videos of his cat and (surprise, surprise) the cat is not a human.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Allie I just had a bit of a look at his previous comments. I stopped after his comment about if some guy was an aboriginal then we is probably an alcoholic.... my wife is aboriginal and proud of it!

I'll just move on and wont let him or others dampen my joy, like you and Steve said. So thank you to you both, and thanks to Milton, yummymummy, Cargo, Kieran, Lesley & Keith for your comments, and sharing this moment with me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast