User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 1dx or Canon 5dmark111

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Splash the cash.... just go out and buy it.
    Who cares if it won't make your pics any better, as long as it makes you feel good.. do it.
    Personally I would spend the dollars on glass but then again you may already have that side of things covered as well.

Buy the way... can I have your your totally out of date and clapped out 1Dmk4
    CC always welcome and appreciated.
    Tweaks welcome but please add how and why.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAP View Post
    Splash the cash.... just go out and buy it.
    Who cares if it won't make your pics any better, as long as it makes you feel good.. do it.
    Personally I would spend the dollars on glass but then again you may already have that side of things covered as well.

Buy the way... can I have your your totally out of date and clapped out 1Dmk4
    EXIF shows an EF200 F1.8L, so I'm guessing good glass is not a problem either. Half his luck. If I could splash out, I would have no hesitation either. Some folks just do this for a hobby. Good luck to them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    I'm not as fast as Schumaker, but I'd certainly like a Ferrari. No offense intended to anyone.
    Mercedes might take offense to that comment...
    Then again they might be happy for Schuey to go back to Ferrari.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAP View Post
    Mercedes might take offense to that comment...
    Then again they might be happy for Schuey to go back to Ferrari.
    He was faster at Ferrari....

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    He was faster at Ferrari....
    Yeah, but didn't he own a Nikon then?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ultimately it is the original poster's choice. If he wants to buy this newer camera then he should. Not being a Canon user I am not really that informed to make a judgement call myself, but the 5D Mk III has a brilliant reputation and I do not know anyone with one, who does not like it.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Yeah, but didn't he own a Nikon then?
    just for that, I'm giving you the bird. Cop this ->

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your question 1dx or 5d3. 1dx obviously, especially for birding. I have the 5d3, would love the 1dx, but my pockets are empty.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a complete novice in the past I would have said buy the 1DX. Have always bought the best I could afford but this is an upgrade. I am slowly coming to understand that better glass is more of an improvement if you already have a good camera as a baseline. The 1DX is better than the 5d3. After I had all the good glass I needed and had the money I would upgrade to the 1DX no hesitation. Why drive a commodore if you can afford a Ferrari.
    PS Lovely lovely photo as always RH. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my 2c worth...

If you can drive and fully understand your current bodies and they are freqently restricting you AND you have spare cash, then perhaps look at swapping bodies. HOWEVER, I am generally with the others, I doubt very much the camera body will be the result of and photograph shortcomings.

I don't know what lenses you have, but if your competent and confident at driving your bodies then I'd suggest you look into changing / upgrading your lenses, upgrading to l series glad will improve your shots, simply moving from one excellent body to another excellent one will not. Your chosen topics demand excellent and very expensive glass to approach pro-level quality shots.

Food for thought.
    J

Sent using Forum Runner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 450D with 55-250mm kit lens can produce: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4204929...7624644852687/. I really think it is about technique. However, it is a bit like the iPhone 5, the iPhone 4 was pretty good - could do pretty much everything that the 5 can but it wasn't a 5. If you just like new technology, go for it. I can understand wanting the latest and greatest. I just don't think considering what you already own that it will be that big a difference to your quality of images as most DSLR's can produce outstanding images.
    My gear: Canon 450D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Canon 430EX II. My Flickr

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anything, you'll look the part!
    Ray
    60D 5Diii

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my take on the question and the themes which have popped up:
    I upgraded the 5dmk2 to the 5dmk3 because I found the limitations were : poor AF for doing compositions other than central compositions (focus and recompose doesn't work for a lot of stuff we were trying with kids, pets, even fast moving bits of weddings!). Improved ISO performance as I found that even with the 5dmk2, night shots at iso1600 looked great online, but try to print them large and it was a disaster!
    I am pleased to say that the 5dmk3 delivered on both of those counts spectacularly well and hence I thought it was worth the money. Don't talk to me about weather sealing though grrrrr...

If you were in a similar situation where you found the 1dsmk3 and 1dmk4 had limitations and frustrations which are fixed by the 1dx or mk3, it may be worth the upgrade. But I agree with everyone else - if you're going to use it exactly like the previous camera without utilising its extra benefits, then you might as well stick with those already excellent cameras.

If you had cash to burn and can afford it, then the upgrade question is really just if you want to do it. As a mk3 owner, I am now thinking about whether I should have forked out more for the 1dx as I have had repeated troubles with weather sealing on the 5d series and I hear that the high iso performance and DR is even better for night photography (something I do a fair bit of). 18mp vs 23 doesn't bother me as I rarely print larger than 40" long edge.

I hope that helps you answer your particular question.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For birds and wildlife, the very best camera money can buy is the 1D IV. Anything you change it for will be a downgrade.

For other tasks, there are good reasons to favour any of several different cameras. If you cannot find clear, compelling advantages in a new one, stay with what you have.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would pick the 1dx; however you may use the $ to upgrade your lenses; Im not sure what you currently have but some canon super tele's definately help with picture taking in dark conditions. I currently use old skool 1d3 with 400 2.8IS for taking pictures of birds. Id love to have the new 600 f/4 though as well lol
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently own: 50D, 5D2, 1DIV, 1DX

I use the 1DX 99% of the time now. I love it. Sure, people can get better images than I can with lesser kit but I don't care about that, I get tons of fun from my 1DX and that is why I bought it. I challenge anyone to hold the trigger button down on high speed and not giggle - it is insane. If I am going to try to make my living from photography I may come up with a reason as to why I need it but for now this is a hobby and it is simply fun to have. hobby = fun so go for it.

Now, in terms of the OP's question. I do not have the 5DIII so I cannot pass comment but the specs on paper are pretty close the the 1DX and the cost different is significant. It may pay to go 5DIII and another lens if we are looking for bang for buck. You have a 1D camera already so no doubt know that it is a pretty heavy bit of kit but it is worth mentioning that the 1DX is painful on the hands if you are having a long session in the field. My knuckles hurt a lot with this camera and a long lens, I am getting used to using tripod / monopod.

Being a hobby, if I had to choose again between the 5DIII and the 1DX - - - - hard to justify the 1DX, love it as I do, the price difference is huge and by all accounts the 5DIII operates well. However, as I said, it is a hobby and decisions are often made emotionally rather than rationally, if you have the $$ go get the 1DX and have a chuckle every time you pick it up - this is about fun and nothing else

ps, I also own a set of golf clubs that cetain pro golfers use - I don't care that I play golf like a 5 year old - I get fun out of it so all bets are off
    Last edited by fess67; 11-01-2013 at 11:11pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12