Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 1dx or Canon 5dmark111

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 1dx or Canon 5dmark111

The time has come,which one do I buy.forget the company hype,who has one or the other and is using them .
    I do a lot of sport,also into wildlife, scenery.people...share your thoughts please..

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban El Pedro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the 1DX is in your budget then it's the obvious choice. Better in low light and loads faster FPS. Depends if you like the size of the 1D body or the smaller 5D I guess too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ?? Whats wrong with the Cameras you've been using , From the Exif on your posted shots you already have the 1D mkIII and have been using the 1DmkIV, To be honest I'd stick with what you have for a while , 1DX and the 5DmkIII are'nt going to improve your bird shots all that much if any
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a bit with William on this one
    What have you got now
    Why do you fell the need to upgrade ??
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question, Have been to lazy to trade my 1d3 and the 1d4.the 1dx has upgraded the af mode and is quicker than a parking inspector to an expired meter,which would help at sport, cricket, tennis, football etc.but do I need the high speed rate 12 frames the 5d has 6 frames and if I cannot have all the action I need in six frames the rest would go on the cutting room floor. Then we come to the matter of Size the two have bigger think they are called sensiors not a teck type...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bigger , faster, Better camera will not yield better shots if you cant drive them, Stick with what you already have , And learn to use them fully, They are both very capable cameras (Wish I had just one ) I been checking the data on your posted shots and I think you need to more a grip on the basics of the Triangle , Aperture, Shutter and ISO some of them are way off IMO , I might sound a bit blunt , But it looks like most everything is Auto except for AV , And most of your f stop settings are way off as well , Stick with it and what you have and Practice, Practice
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by William; 06-01-2013 at 2:08pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems popular opinion on this forum to use an old/budget camera if you're not a pro shooter. If you've got the cash to burn why not?

Everyone says a good camera won't help it's the user, well a great camera like either the 5DIII or the IDX certainly won't hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm ! Thats not true : Quote Pedro : It seems popular opinion on this forum to use an old/budget camera if you're not a pro shooter

BTW The 1D mkIV is no old/Budget camera If you have'nt got a grip on the basics , A better ( Note top of the range) will not make you take better images
    Last edited by William; 06-01-2013 at 2:39pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that's the great thing about forums it allows people to present different opinions. I'm a total noob to photography and after owning a 60D for 3 months ditched it in favour of a 6D. I can assure you the pictures coming out of the 6D are noticeably better.

The 1DX has a full frame sensor v the 1.3x of the 1D IV and has higher ISO capability. Whether you're a novice or a pro this is going to lead to better pictures in low light conditions and the ability to use a faster shutter speed to capture fast paced sports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK , Back on topic, To the OP , If I had the choice, I'd take the 1DX , I dont have the spare $7,300 to get one though
    Last edited by William; 06-01-2013 at 3:09pm. Reason: Changed price

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pedro, William uses a 50D and betters the results of most using more expensive gear. One of the best bird shooters on here uses a 40D. I use a 50D. That's only three of many. Check out the picture threads and see how they compare.

You're welcome to photograph the egg on my face if someone not very experienced in a particular field and very knowledgeable in the use of their equipment can gain better sports shot with a 1DX over a 1DM3 or 4 and any other combination. This thread may interest you. http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...y-with-results and this one http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ut-photography But as you say, if it's no skin off one's nose, spend the dollars if that's what's wanted.

C&A, rgw717 (Richard) http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...hp?3939-rwg717 uses both a 1DMark1V and a 1Dx and he's very experienced, so he'd be the bloke to speak to.
    Last edited by norwest; 06-01-2013 at 3:45pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just have to reply william,I am a well quilifyied former Press Photographer.and while I can not quote from the manuals verbatim as some technical types havingthe best gear on the market 1dx at DWI $5639 have a look at cheapest prices for Canon you may be surprised. is still a bit high but the quility of the images are better.even if I was to use it on auto .As I said in my first thread ,the best info comes from persons that have the gear.Yes over the years I have always strived to have the best.thats why Canon and Nikon improve their products. but if worst comes to worst I have a Look down 1920s Super D Graphlex 5x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great nor west but if I offered to trade you willy and bird man a 1DX or a 5D3 for your xxD's I bet all three would hand them over. The OP has listed his skill level as advanced so I would think that he has a basic understanding of exposure and using a DSLR. If you can get the same shot with a 50D why do professionals fork out for the top gear?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pedro View Post
    It seems popular opinion on this forum to use an old/budget camera if you're not a pro shooter. If you've got the cash to burn why not?

Everyone says a good camera won't help it's the user, well a great camera like either the 5DIII or the IDX certainly won't hurt.
    The camera is part of the equation yes, but if you do not have a good understanding of the exposure triangle and composition, etc, there is a huge limit to how much benefit a new camera will be. A good skilled photographer can take great photos with a phone camera, someone without good skills can take bad photos with a $5000.00 camera. We tell people not to upgrade just to 'take better photos' for a reason.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pedro View Post
    That's great nor west but if I offered to trade you willy and bird man a 1DX or a 5D3 for your xxD's I bet all three would hand them over. The OP has listed his skill level as advanced so I would think that he has a basic understanding of exposure and using a DSLR. If you can get the same shot with a 50D why do professionals fork out for the top gear?
    What Rick says, above.

My points have missed the target by a considerable margin so I'll stop shooting before I hit something unintentionally, again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to play devils advocate here. It sounds like the OP enjoys having top of the line gear. I have a couple of friends that fit into this category. It's possible/likely that the photo quality won't improve by buying an upgraded camera but there is a pleasure owning and using the latest and best available. Just like using top of the line fishing gear doesn't make the fish taste any better but the catching can be more pleasurable. So if the cost of the purchase isn't a concern then go for it. Ken Rockwell has a bit of a comparison here (I hope it's ok to post the link?). I haven't been lucky enough to even hold either of these two cameras and know very little about them but from what I've read the 1Dx will better suit your needs, particularly for sports. Good luck...

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dittography View Post
    Ken Rockwell has a bit of a comparison here (I hope it's ok to post the link?).
    Yep, perfectly OK to post the link to Mr. Rockwell, we like a bit of humour here and he is a first class provider of it in his attempt to enlighten the photographic community with his pearls of wisdom make money from gullible people.

I haven't been lucky enough to even hold either of these two cameras and know very little about them
    In all seriousness, I reckon Mr Rockwelll is in exactly the same boat as you.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm going to play devils advocate here. It sounds like the OP enjoys having top of the line gear. I have a couple of friends that fit into this category. It's possible/likely that the photo quality won't improve by buying an upgraded camera but there is a pleasure owning and using the latest and best available. Just like using top of the line fishing gear doesn't make the fish taste any better but the catching can be more pleasurable. So if the cost of the purchase isn't a concern then go for it. Ken Rockwell has a bit of a comparison here (I hope it's ok to post the link?). I haven't been lucky enough to even hold either of these two cameras and know very little about them but from what I've read the 1Dx will better suit your needs, particularly for sports. Good luck...
    I don't believe you are playing devil's advocate at all, as you appear to be agreeing with us on most aspects.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not as fast as Schumaker, but I'd certainly like a Ferrari. No offense intended to anyone.
    Last edited by Warbler; 06-01-2013 at 6:09pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    I'm not as fast as Schumaker, but I'd certainly like a Ferrari. No offense intended to anyone.
    Makes perfect sense to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast