Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Possible Flash Problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible Flash Problems

Hi there,

I have just purchased a Canon EOS 650D and I am very happy with it. The only problem that I have encountered is with my Sigma EF-500DG Super EO- ETTL II. It occasional spits the dummy. Now looking around the net I noticed that some people reckon that this flash is not compatable with the Canon 650D. What are your thoughts?
    I know I need to play with it a bit more to get familiar are there any tips etc?
    Or is it time to look for another flash?
    Cheers
    Stephen
    Canon Fan from way back
    http://stephendeanphotography.wordpress.com/ My Photo Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/skdean60/ Some of My Photos

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    when you say it spits the dummy, what exactly does it do. We cannot assist if we do not know the actual facts surrounding what you are doing at the time, what the flash does, what error mesages etc.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't always adjust the zoom function to match the lens. It was okay with my 400d.
    Last edited by stephendean; 06-01-2013 at 2:06pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't help with a Canon/Sigma combo, however with Nikon body/strobe the strobe head will only zoom with the lens in iTTL/iTTL-FP(hi speed sync) mode. In manual, A, Gn etc it wont.Check the Sigma website to see if the specs recommend it is compatible with the 650D

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also check the contacts both on the flash and on the flash mounting on your camera, they might just need a clean, as dirty contacts can do all sorts of weird and wonderful things to the way our camera system interacts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have the same problem with two Sigma Flashes which i use with my Pentax K10D and most times its the contacts between camera and flash . Pain in the Kollou but one has to shove n move the flash back n forth the hotshoe fitting timll the acknowledges its there!!..
    We didnt inherit this land, we merely borrow it from our Children

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same issue with a Canon 580EXII on several Canon cameras. After a bit of research it turned out that the little diffuser that flips down over the flash bulb (or the little white card in the same spot) was not pushed all the way back when put away and this caused it to lock to a certain zoom - low end as I recall. So, all I did is make sure I pushed that all the way back and it now works fine.

Not sure if it will apply to your flash and I hope it makes sense lol.

ps, check out dpreview, there is some info in there about a firmware update.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    I had the same issue with a Canon 580EXII on several Canon cameras. After a bit of research it turned out that the little diffuser that flips down over the flash bulb (or the little white card in the same spot) was not pushed all the way back when put away and this caused it to lock to a certain zoom - low end as I recall. So, all I did is make sure I pushed that all the way back and it now works fine.

Not sure if it will apply to your flash and I hope it makes sense lol.

ps, check out dpreview, there is some info in there about a firmware update.
    That caught me the first time too. That extra diffuser is for wide shots and when deployed, it uses 17mm as the default zoom. Another one to watch is if you tilt the head of the 580 downwards. It does the same thing. It displays a warning on the LCD disply though.

Doesn't help the OP with his problem though. Sorry.