Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Rockhampton Trip - Ideal Locations for landscapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rockhampton Trip - Ideal Locations for landscapes

Hi All,

I've got a quick business trip coming up in the next fortnight whereby i'll be overnighting in Rockhampton.
    I'm staying in the CBD, and was considering taking my camera with me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good location to shoot from to pick up a sunrise/sunset landscape photo?
    Whilst I need to get out to Yeppoon as part of the trip, unfortunately I will be unable to get out there for either the sunrise or sunset.
    Ideally it would be within a 15min drive time radius of the CBD.

Mount Archer Lookouts maybe?

Further to that, if there are any locals up there that also want to join me in a sunrise/sunset shoot, let me know!

Thanks in advance.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have an active camera club there which might be worth contacting. Not sure where you are staying but we stayed at the Bridge Motel over Christmas which has a roof top terrace which would probably be good for getting a sunrise over Mt Archer. I shot some bridge light trails from it which I posted in Night section.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent. Mt Archer is probably your best bet, and will take your 15mins to get to the top. Sunset up there is nice, as are the city lights later on. Try to get to the zoo and wander through the gardens to the lagoon. The sun sets nicely across.
    Neil

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you're staying in the CBD, then their are plenty of wonderful old buildings on the riverfront in Quay Street. They have mostly been restored and look great with the sun setting behind and all lit up with their own lighting. Be a bit wary if out very late in that area. Rockhampton used to be a port city and all the gold from Mt Morgan used to go out from there. The waterfront was very busy and the buildings there that weren't demolished in the last century are all stone. Keep an eye on the river. You might see some rather large logs with teeth too. Apparently there are a couple of large crocs that have been photographed in the city reaches of the river recently. Someone skinned and gutted a 14 footer about 18 months ago.
    Last edited by Warbler; 09-01-2013 at 12:44pm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee I'm glad I don't get up to Rocky as much as I used to. Up here this morning at 8:30am it's 30 degrees and 62% humidity. Apparent temperature is 32 degrees. It will be hotter than the 37 forecast today I'm sure. Hard to believe that only 24 kilometres away it will only get to 31 degrees with a nice sea breeze.

How did you go with your visit?
    Last edited by Warbler; 13-01-2013 at 10:53am.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyone's replies!

I'm up there tomorrow night so fingers crossed it'll be a bit cooler than 37! By the looks of things it's 30 but with Thunderstorms and 95% chance of rain. That might put a stop to my idea of shooting from Mt Archer unfortunately

Will let you know how i go!