Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grey Market lens Question ??

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Market lens Question ??

So after reading through this on the Canon HK camera ordeals, I'm looking at finally buying my new lens (Canon 400 mm L F5.6 USM or the Canon 100 - 400 mm F4.5 - 5.6 IS USM) and this troubles me somewhat.

Overcome one major concern of two, as the Ministry for Finance and Home Affairs gave it the green light. But, The above worries me, as I'm looking at buying the lens off one of the two major grey (Aussie) companies. D-D or DWI, unless a AP Sponsor can help (Will look at that after this post.) The cost saving just make sense, and as far as I can tell/read, the warranty is a 12 month given on all L lenses. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Has anyone had any major issues with either of these companies in regards to not getting what you've paid for?

Can anyone recommend an AP Sponsor?

AP sponsors, here's your chance to get some money off me.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been no issues that I am aware of regarding the serial numbers on lenses. They are or course stamped into the lens and cannot be changed easily and unlike the cameras in question they dont report a serial number in the exif that could be checked against the serial number on the body of the camera. And I hope you do understand the there was no question that the cameras were fake, just the serial number plate on the bottom of the camera had been changed with a new serial number. I have bought all of my gear which includes the 400 mm L from grey importers and so far no issues at all. I just looked for the most convenient deal at the best price and service and hoped that in the unlikely event that I had some warranty issue that they did the right thing. All good so far.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    I hope you do understand the there was no question that the cameras were fake, just the serial number plate on the bottom of the camera had been changed with a new serial number.
    Graham - agb, It's more that they could be re-manufactured, not that they're fake. Advertised as new - but no Canon warranty card and the like. Just a first time buyer in the Grey world, looking for all the facts mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try B&H in NYC, site sponsor and ultra reputable. Shipping will cost more and they will declare it at true value, so GST will apply upon import.

I was going to recommend another of the grey market site sponsors, but having dealt with them this week on the D4, an $5000 purchase, I can't recommend them highly at all.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Graham - agb, It's more that they could be re-manufactured, not that they're fake. Advertised as new - but no Canon warranty card and the like. Just a first time buyer in the Grey world, looking for all the facts mate.
    All the lenses I have purchased with the exception of the 15-85 ef-s which came out of a kit, have been in Canon boxes with apparently original packaging and Canon warranty cards which of course are useless in this country as I understand Canon will not honour them. I seriously doubt they were re-manufactured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Roosta

cant help with the lens question...but I can recommend DWI.. i've bought a few items from them in the last couple of weeks and shipping was fast..took 4 days to get from Hong Kong to Mundaring..not bad I reckon..they also have a ebay store that's a tickle cheaper, but with the same fast shipping and warranty's etc
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Try B&H in NYC, site sponsor and ultra reputable. Shipping will cost more and they will declare it at true value, so GST will apply upon import.

I was going to recommend another of the grey market site sponsors, but having dealt with them this week on the D4, an $5000 purchase, I can't recommend them highly at all.
    Did look at B&H mate, but same as what agb mentions re warranty. Canon used to have a world wide warranty for L lenses, but not any more. Canon's T&C's regarding warranty are very clear as to the product must be purchased from an Aussie or Kiwi authorized retailer. So it leaves me with the same situation. Where as DD Photographics are in Sydney, and I have only (If needed) return to them.

I don't see an L giving any issues, but you/I never know. B&H, I'm guessing I'd have to send back to them for warranty, that's more worldwide shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    Hi Roosta

cant help with the lens question...but I can recommend DWI.. i've bought a few items from them in the last couple of weeks and shipping was fast..took 4 days to get from Hong Kong to Mundaring..not bad I reckon..they also have a ebay store that's a tickle cheaper, but with the same fast shipping and warranty's etc
    Cheers Steve, nice to hear more positives about DWI.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a Canon 300mm F4L from Discount Digital Photographics when they had their office in Brisbane and discovered that it was front focusing on my Canon 40D which has no micro adjust. I returned the lens to DDP within the required 7 day period and once they confirmed the problem, they provided a replacement.

This was hopefully (?) a very rare case, although I was relieved that all I had to do was drive a few kms to DDP rather than package the lens and send it back overseas.

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought from DWI and DigitalRev and no issues with either and super quick delivery. Never had to use the warranty though so can't advise on that side of things.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    I purchased a Canon 300mm F4L from Discount Digital Photographics when they had their office in Brisbane and discovered that it was front focusing on my Canon 40D which has no micro adjust. I returned the lens to DDP within the required 7 day period and once they confirmed the problem, they provided a replacement.

This was hopefully (?) a very rare case, although I was relieved that all I had to do was drive a few kms to DDP rather than package the lens and send it back overseas.

Cheers

Dennis
    Cheers Dennis - I would think that rare, but as mentioned, not impossible. The OZ factor is also a consideration of mine, nice to have a local shop so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
    I've bought from DWI and DigitalRev and no issues with either and super quick delivery. Never had to use the warranty though so can't advise on that side of things.
    Thanks again Russell, hadn't looked at DigitalRev yet, but will do.

Thanks again to you both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also bought from DWI...A Sigma 10-20 lens. No problems with them or the lens at all. Shipping was swift. The lens arrived in 5 days. I would have liked to bought local, but the savings by buying from HK (approx $150) made all the difference. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
    Maybe I am a bit naive , but the way I look at is that the chances of anything going wrong with a lens in the warranty period (assuming it is in perfect working condition in the first place and that you look after it properly is pretty remote. So when it comes to a lens I don't particularly worry about the warranty being honoured in AU (a camera body would probably be a different story though).
    I admit to never having thought about it being fake/remanufactured or whatever, but I would imagine that if you stick to a reputable seller your chances would be slim of getting one like that.
    Canon 550D/7D - Canon 24mm IS USM - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 15-85 IS USM - Sigma 28-300mm | RS60E3 cable remote | B&W ND110, Hoya CPL, ND2, ND8, Cokin P series H250A GND 'kit' | An embarrassingly cheap SLIK tripod.
    Software: PS CS5

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderer51 View Post
    I have also bought from DWI...A Sigma 10-20 lens. No problems with them or the lens at all. Shipping was swift. The lens arrived in 5 days. I would have liked to bought local, but the savings by buying from HK (approx $150) made all the difference. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.
    Maybe I am a bit naive , but the way I look at is that the chances of anything going wrong with a lens in the warranty period (assuming it is in perfect working condition in the first place and that you look after it properly is pretty remote. So when it comes to a lens I don't particularly worry about the warranty being honoured in AU (a camera body would probably be a different story though).
    I admit to never having thought about it being fake/remanufactured or whatever, but I would imagine that if you stick to a reputable seller your chances would be slim of getting one like that.
    Hay wanderer51 - Two things, If you go to CRKennedy.com.au and in the search box, type 'Price Match' you'll find that they'll match the HK sellers prices. CR's are the Aussie importers for various camera/digital products, well worth a look. All my Sigma stuff was purchased this way via Camera Electric in Perth with CR Kennedy's price matching. The product will have the usual 2 year full manufactures warranty. Local repairer as well.

If you read Rick's post, really, who would have thought that there would be a rote like Canon HK going on, I'm just being a little over cautious I guess. First real big dollar O/S purchase, from a grey importer.

I have heard of re-manufactured goods being passed on before. That's all, Cheers.

Thanks for your input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Roosta. The lens was bought over 12 months ago and I (unfortunately, otherwise I would have bought locally) didn't know about CRKennedy then, although I found out after I had bought it! I wouldn't buy a grey market body, preferring it to a be local purchase. The lens is the only thing I have bought grey market, both cameras have been purchased from DCW here in Melbourne, while the Sigma 28-300 was bought S/H from a well respected member of this forum. The rest of my bits and pieces, except for the ND110 (purchased in Sydney) have come from various AU based sponsors of this site.
    I agree that not many people would think that Canon HK would be involved in such a sort, but as this rort (so far) appears to be confined to camera bodies I don't know how you tell if a lens is new or not. As one poster in Rick's thread pointed out, the serial number on a lens is etched somewhere inside it.
    As for being 'overly cautious' about sending big $ overseas...so was I...especially sending a CC number to HK!!!!
    Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have had lenses fixed during warranty from DWI and eGlobal - all fixed locally in Sydney by contracted companies.

In the past my friends and I have had to send stuff back to the US from B&H, pain in the butt.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderer51 View Post
    Hi Roosta. The lens was bought over 12 months ago and I (unfortunately, otherwise I would have bought locally) didn't know about CRKennedy then, although I found out after I had bought it! I wouldn't buy a grey market body, preferring it to a be local purchase. The lens is the only thing I have bought grey market, both cameras have been purchased from DCW here in Melbourne, while the Sigma 28-300 was bought S/H from a well respected member of this forum. The rest of my bits and pieces, except for the ND110 (purchased in Sydney) have come from various AU based sponsors of this site.
    I agree that not many people would think that Canon HK would be involved in such a sort, but as this rort (so far) appears to be confined to camera bodies I don't know how you tell if a lens is new or not. As one poster in Rick's thread pointed out, the serial number on a lens is etched somewhere inside it.
    As for being 'overly cautious' about sending big $ overseas...so was I...especially sending a CC number to HK!!!!
    Cheers
    Thanks mate. With you on camera bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    Have had lenses fixed during warranty from DWI and eGlobal - all fixed locally in Sydney by contracted companies.

In the past my friends and I have had to send stuff back to the US from B&H, pain in the butt.
    Nice to know mate. Thanks for the input. BTW, have you had a go of the Sigma 35 mm yet? Interested to hear/read your thoughts if you've shot with it, and a link to pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Thanks mate. With you on camera bodies.

Nice to know mate. Thanks for the input. BTW, have you had a go of the Sigma 35 mm yet? Interested to hear/read your thoughts if you've shot with it, and a link to pics.
    Not yet man, as I am in love with my Canon 35L.

But if I had to buy one again, I'd get the Sigma and save a bit of money

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    Not yet man, as I am in love with my Canon 35L.

But if I had to buy one again, I'd get the Sigma and save a bit of money
    Cheers mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have purchased a few times from Camera Paradise now. Warranty seems to be good, generally an 18 month, door to door warranty.

I will be testing the warranty out soon as the CF drive in my mkiii doesn't seem to work, but I don't want to be without the camera over the holiday period. Not a major bummer as I am using the ad slot, but I have a couple of lovely 16gb cf cards raring to go!
    Epicaricacy
    Canon 5Dmkiii and a variety of lenses and other bits and pieces

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicaricacy View Post
    I have purchased a few times from Camera Paradise now. Warranty seems to be good, generally an 18 month, door to door warranty.

I will be testing the warranty out soon as the CF drive in my mkiii doesn't seem to work, but I don't want to be without the camera over the holiday period. Not a major bummer as I am using the ad slot, but I have a couple of lovely 16gb cf cards raring to go!
    Thanks for the heads up. Hope you have a positive with the warranty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought all my lenses from a site sponser eGlobal and can not fault them in any way at all.

I have had no issues with regard to warrany either as all my lenes have and are still working perfectly.

I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast