User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  15

Thread: 3 hard drives now given away

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

3 hard drives now given away

With the announcement of the photo of the week #338 tonight, that wraps up our Western Digital 750GB portable hard drive prizes.

Congratulations to all three winners : MarkChap ktoopi and Gonk0

Thanks to all members for supporting our site advertisers and thus ensuring Ausphotography has enough funds to both remain online and purchase some prizes along the way, to give back to the members.

Next up will be our 2012 Photo of the Year, which starts voting on January 10th 2013, with the winner announced on Australia Day 26th January 2013.

We will also be running another www.filmstreet.com.au photo of the week in the near future, where you can win a print of your entry. Along with our www.estyles.com.au photo of the month, where you can win a $60.00 voucher to any of estyles services.

I am looking forward to 2013 and being able to give members a chance to win more. So stay active on Ausphotography and keep pressing that shutter button.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick, and all the AP staff, Site Sponsers and members for making AP such a great forum.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonk0 View Post
    Thanks Rick, and all the AP staff, Site Sponsers and members for making AP such a great forum.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone.
    Ditto!
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Fuji Fanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations all, at least I don't have to bother holding my breath over the comp of the year LOL. My idea of a terrific shot obviously just doesn't appeal here, I won't be entering again. I still enjoy the forum though.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Congratulations all, at least I don't have to bother holding my breath over the comp of the year LOL. My idea of a terrific shot obviously just doesn't appeal here, I won't be entering again. I still enjoy the forum though.
    I am not sure what you mean here Odille. You did not enter the advanced Prize comp?

Moderately Super Debra Faulkner's Avatar
    Marlo, a small coastal town in the far east of
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean, Odille? Entering competitions or putting photos in forums?
    Nikon F65, D50, D200, D700

Fuji Fanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra Faulkner View Post
    What do you mean, Odille? Entering competitions or putting photos in forums?
    Competitions, Debra. I've been a member for 4 yeqrs, entered many times, made the final cut once but no banana. I don't like pushing the processing past what I feel is natural and the images chosen tend to be the more adventurously processed ones. Beautiful images but not what i care to do.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Competitions, Debra. I've been a member for 4 yeqrs, entered many times, made the final cut once but no banana. I don't like pushing the processing past what I feel is natural and the images chosen tend to be the more adventurously processed ones. Beautiful images but not what i care to do.
    I would agree with that Odille. I quite often wonder how a particular entry won,. However, we can only go by the votes.

Moderately Super Debra Faulkner's Avatar
    Marlo, a small coastal town in the far east of
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Odille, I still wouldn't stop entering at all. There just may be a theme or a time during an open that you would like to enter so don't close the door on yourself. Entering comps is actually one way that can help us learn - some of the winning entries may seem overprocessed but there are other elements such as composition, angle and lighting that can be appreciated and believe it or not it could be some of those elements that encourage voting for these type of images. So, comparing elements of one's own entry with a winning entry might be helpful either way. Keeping to a particular way of 'doing' things in our photography, be it using an element in a particular way or a particular type of processing all the time, hinders open-mindedness and experimentation - this applies to everyone. To win or not to win - this shouldn't be the question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Analog6
    There is always the opportunity, if the image didn't make the cut, to place it in the CC section with a title "Where did I go wrong". I often think about it. But after submitting the image, and waiting up to 2 weeks for an end result, I have generally moved on. And like Rick, I sometimes think "What The".

But the competitions are just a small part of the forum. Some take it seriously, others like myself enter just for fun. I also like the member challenges "Caption this" "Photo painting" And like the Holiday logo challenge Kim put up earlier this year. (The logo on top is one of them)

This forum means a lot to me. I have got to know some wonderful people, and learnt a hell of a lot about photography. So if I can "Give" as much as I "Get" by participating in all the areas of the forum. I will galdly do so. (Even if what I submit doesn't do any good)
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I go along with what Geoff said.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    But the competitions are just a small part of the forum. Some take it seriously, others like myself enter just for fun. .....
    Originally entered just to participate, some of my early photos deserved the low ratings they got. Over time my scores seem to be slowly going up. That's good, but it's just a fun interest to me. If I finish in the top half, I'm really happy. If I enter expecting to do really well all the time, I'll obviously be disappointed.

Anyways, well done to AP for giving the winners a chance to win.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S, Sigma 120-400, a speedlite, a tripod, a monopod, a remote release and a padded bag to carry things in.

Fuji Fanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    @ Analog6
    There is always the opportunity, if the image didn't make the cut, to place it in the CC section with a title "Where did I go wrong". I often think about it. But after submitting the image, and waiting up to 2 weeks for an end result, I have generally moved on. And like Rick, I sometimes think "What The".

But the competitions are just a small part of the forum. Some take it seriously, others like myself enter just for fun. I also like the member challenges "Caption this" "Photo painting" And like the Holiday logo challenge Kim put up earlier this year. (The logo on top is one of them)

This forum means a lot to me. I have got to know some wonderful people, and learnt a hell of a lot about photography. So if I can "Give" as much as I "Get" by participating in all the areas of the forum. I will galdly do so. (Even if what I submit doesn't do any good)
    That's how I feel too, I'm still here after all, but it would be nice . . .

As for the CC thread, people always say I should push the saturation, contrast and colours more, but I like my images to look like they did when I took them, not to be processed to somewhere that, for me, is unacceptable. I won't push an image to the edges of (to me) unreality to win a prize.

I love the site, and I have learnt a lot here too, but this thread was about the comps and I just was making a comment from MY perspective.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To also put things in perspective, for 2012 (so far) we had just under 4000 entries into the photography competitions on the site. In that time we had 52 weekly competitions and 12 monthly competitions. Some of the weekly competitions would have had 3 winners due to our levels. Not all competitions had 3 winners, some only had 1.

12 monthly competition winners
    133 weekly competition winners (due to our levels)

145 WINNERS all up, out of just under 4000 entries

Winning an AP competition is not easy. And it is getting harder. Back in the earlier days of the site, we had less members, therefore, less entries, thus it was 'easier' to win a badge back then. As time goes on and we have an ever increasing member base trying to win a comp, and each competition gets more entries, it gets even harder to win one.
    Last edited by ricktas; 27-12-2012 at 6:41am.