Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Sensor Cleaning your way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sensor Cleaning your way

Hi,
    I was having my first attempt at sensor cleaning and have read many reviews on products and the way different people approach it.
    I was hoping some of the members of this forum would like to share there techniques and any products they use. ie:sensor loupe,cleaning liquid brushes.
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off there are a few Threads here showing you how to use this one below that I bought.
    I use the Copperhills Kit Eclipse E2 Fluid and the Pec pads on a sensor swab..
    Not sure if its still available as a kit, or even if you can still get it in Australia.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Eclipse Fluid, with a pec pad (copper hill kit)
    Last edited by ricktas; 23-12-2012 at 7:38pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    First off there are a few Threads here showing you how to use this one below that I bought.
    I use the Copperhills Kit Eclipse E2 Fluid and the Pec pads on a sensor swab..
    Not sure if its still available as a kit, or even if you can still get it in Australia.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Eclipse Fluid, with a pec pad (copper hill kit)
    Ditto.

Sooner or later the inevitable occurs and you will have too many bodies to splash the cash for a $50.00 + per body clean, best learn to DIY before the credit card is knackered.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use the wet clean from Copperhill. Very easy but the first couple of times I must admit I was a little bit apprehensive. Now what I do is get a CD case, wipe it free of dust...place two drops just apart so that they mingle anyway....place the pec pad setup straight down vertically to soak up the liquid....leave it for 15-20 seconds and then do the sensor wipe as shown in all the demonstrations. This seems to work the best for me. Try it out.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it seems that the copperhill way is the best way to do it then ... here's my attempt
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't get the liquid with the copperhill product, so I went with this and am very happy.
    http://shop.cameracheckpoint.com.au/...clean-kit.html
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.
    Do any of you use a sensor loupe or sensor scope to help look at dust on sensor?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaison View Post
    Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.
    Do any of you use a sensor loupe or sensor scope to help look at dust on sensor?
    I have a sensor scope and have used it once. I got it for free. For me, while you are busy looking through the scope to see what dust remains after a clean, you are letting more dust into the chamber by having it open to the air and with the mirror up. Waste of money to buy it.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sensor checking is easy using the following process, no scope needed...

1. Get a uniform white or bright target (i.e. use the AP Extras menu item White or a clear sky)
      • Mode - Aperture Priority
      • Setting - Aperture to minimum eg. f/22
      • Lens - Manual Focus set to closest focus setting (if shooting the blue sky, then infinity)
      • Turn off SR/OS/VR/IS (stabilisation off, we want camera shake in this case)
      • Features - Turn "OFF" all special function like "sharpening" (or just shoot raw)
    2. Zoom until the white screen fully fills the viewfinder
    3. Take the shot!
      Shoot with the camera facing your monitor. Depending how bright your monitor is, your exposure may be a couple seconds. During this exposure, move your camera back and fourth being careful to not to point the lens outside of your white box. Moving the camera during the exposure insures that you are not taking a picture of dirt on your monitor. You can be as close as a few inches from the monitor.
    4. Download the image and check it

You now know where the dust is! (Remember looking in from the front means things are reversed)

Or use the dust alert feature.

Edit: It's now in the Library... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...re&redirect=no
    Last edited by Kym; 24-12-2012 at 9:06am.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff