Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Sand in my focus ring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sand in my focus ring

Hi all,

Had a little incident yesterday where i had to choose between my 2yr and my camera, a bunch of idiots had there dogs running wild in the national park!
    So my 5D and the 24-105 ended up in the sand, I was very careful and didnt move anything until i had removed most of the sand that i could see but the focus now sounds and feels very gritty(still works) but for how long.

Does anyone have any experience with sand in the lens? Will it work its way out or am i looking for some $$ to have it cleaned.

thanks for any help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd pay the money and get it cleaned.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over here in Perth, I had my 70 - 200 mm L lens cleaned and tested/serviced for $99.00. That was a full pull apart, test the USM and so on. So well worth it.

I wouldn't be turning the focus or zoom rings nwhc. Not sure how old your 24-105 mm is, but they suffer from Ribbon Failure, so while apart, it might be worth looking at, if you have a older version. Just a thought, not meant to scare/frighten you.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the lens is maybe 6 months old, it really makes me angry thinking about it! i will make some calls and see what i can do the worst part is i only have my 100mm macro for xmas pics now.