User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  21
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solo lady togs be aware! Creepy experience.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not certain that Odille said she couldn't get SOS. You can get SOS on mobiles irrespective of the network you are on as it will use other networks as well. It's worth checking as it will often work, and it is a better option than an epirb. My mobile rarely works near home, but I can usually get SOS - not that I've dialled it, it just says I can. I wonder if there's a way of testing it without annoying the operators?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very handy to know Steve - my house in the hills was almost a complete dead spot due to a concealed valley location which is the only reason I had Telstra and a landline and even that was iffy most of the time - but in an emergency anything is worth a try - hopefully none of us ever have the need to find out how well this works.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very spooky indeed. and as rick stated a timely reminder. be careful out there peeps!

Moderately Super
    Marlo, a small coastal town in the far east of
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for interest, the emergency number is actually 112 (not 121).
    Nikon F65, D50, D200, D700

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bear in mind that there is a safety/security app you can get for your smart phone that you keep running in your hand if you are feeling nervous, and if you are approached by anyone you don't want approaching you, you can point it at the person to activate it instantly and it sends their photo to any number of contacts you wish to specify, and it also sounds an alarm and then starts to record audio (and I think video) and won't stop till you tell it to.
    It may not stop you being attacked, but it makes the attacker aware that a photo of them has now been sent out to everyone, and everything they have said and done has also been sent, so it might put them off doing anything that they'd not want to be identified for, and if the worst does happen, at least the authorities have everything they could need to help find the person.
    It won't send however if there's no reception but will probably keep trying till there is and will probably still store the information.
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 29-12-2012 at 8:28pm.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra Faulkner View Post
    Just for interest, the emergency number is actually 112 (not 121).
    Debra is right, and it should work if you have no mobile phone coverage. I believe it somehow uses satellites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/112_%28...hone_number%29
    End of first paragraph, "...., or Australia where emergency calls are redirected to 000."
    A well thought of option Steve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This incident is extremely concerning. Didnt you say you pulled in next to the other man on his phone stopped by the side of the road?? Maybe he could have been a witness to this man pulling in behind you. When you look at this situation, it makes you think of what his intentions may have been and what he could have done. What if you had returned to you car to find that you had a flat tyre - let down by him perhaps?? this would have left you in a very dangerous position with no escape. In some areas, you may not have mobile phone reception, so will not be able to call anyone for help either. I generally do NOT go out by myself to take photos. I did once up round the dirt roads behind McLaren Vale, but I just did not feel right about it. I kept thinking about what would happen if a group of lads stopped, or someone else started hanging around. And because we usually only have weekends to go for a drive, and hubby just likes to drive, I often see stuff I would like to take a photo of, but it just sails on into the distance as we drive by. Oh well, maybe next time.

As for creeps out there, many many years ago, my cousin lost her best friend to a murderer. She was driving home after doing a pottery party plan show. He had started following her and had rammed his car into the back of hers so that she had to stop and pull over. He grabbed her and forced her into his car and sadly she was murdered. This creep just happened to work in the same factory as my husband, and he had been heard telling people at work about how he had run into the back of a woman when she stopped suddenly, which was his alibi if anyone asked about the damage to his car.
    There are some nutters out there so be careful and dont take risks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phones with zero coverage cannot use satellites to make SOS calls. If they could we'd not need satellite phones for emergencies out in the outback. No coverage means just that.
    The only time SOS calls work is if you have coverage from a company other than your own, it will still go through the other company's network. This will also work when you have no credit, or even no sim card in the phone, but it will not work if there are no companies providing coverage there. Do not rely on being able to call from a phone that is out of range. Standard mobile phones do not have the electronics to make a satellite call. It requires a satellite phone to do that.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    I believe this man was stalking me, despite the fact that I am an overweight lady of nearly 60.
    You did the right thing alright, and I agree with all the serious comments here, but I must correct you on one small point. We overweight people in our 60's are extremely desirable - I tell myself that all the time! I also tell my wife that she is equally attractive (which she is) and it also helps me earn brownie points towards my next camera. 60 is the new 35 isn't it ? OK .... 55 then .....

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    Phones with zero coverage cannot use satellites to make SOS calls. If they could we'd not need satellite phones for emergencies out in the outback. No coverage means just that.
    The only time SOS calls work is if you have coverage from a company other than your own, it will still go through the other company's network. This will also work when you have no credit, or even no sim card in the phone, but it will not work if there are no companies providing coverage there. Do not rely on being able to call from a phone that is out of range. Standard mobile phones do not have the electronics to make a satellite call. It requires a satellite phone to do that.
    Just did some w.w.w. research, and Ez is right.
    If you dial 000, it will only be carried by your home network – that is to say if you have no coverage from your home network, 000 won't work but 112 will if another company is providing coverage.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    You did the right thing alright, and I agree with all the serious comments here, but I must correct you on one small point. We overweight people in our 60's are extremely desirable - I tell myself that all the time! I also tell my wife that she is equally attractive (which she is) and it also helps me earn brownie points towards my next camera. 60 is the new 35 isn't it ? OK .... 55 then .....
    Thanls Bob, my other half and I concur too . I think I was just unlucky and struck a creep. Hopefully he is not local but a blow down from 'up thar' (he had Qld plates, but so do a lot of locals).
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123