User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  21
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo lady togs be aware! Creepy experience.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odille, it is always good to be vigilant in circumstances like these, so I am glad you were so aware of your surroundings and thank you for providing a warning to others to be more observant. Sounds as if he was quite obvious so, most likely, he wouldn't be a very effective criminal especially as this continued after you took the photo. Other than time constraints and, of course, not all circumstances would warrant this, I still don't see why police could not do an obvious drive-by of the registered place of residence when a report like this is made (no contact necessary) if only to make such a person aware that his actions have been noted.

As an aside, interestingly I do have a German Shepherd Dog and my greatest concern if our house was ever burgled is the safety of my dog rather than anything else.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    Good to see someone is in touch with their in built sense of danger and intuition.
    I saw a TV article a little while back that showed how humans are one of the only animals that consistently ignore their own sixth sense that something is wrong and march right into disaster.
    It gave multiple examples of people who ended up in disastrous situations because they ignored the alarm bells going off in their head - the woman who got home and her garbage bin had been placed where it blocked her entire driveway, despite all her inner alarm bells saying something was wrong and to drive on and come back with friends or come back later, she ignored it and got out of her car to move it, where she was promptly attacked by her ex-husband who had placed it there to make her get out of her car where he could get to her. It had heaps of other examples - the person who got a real creepy feeling from the person already in the elevator when the doors opened, and instead of pretending they forgot something in their room and walking away to get a different elevator, they ignored that sense and got into the elevator with that person - moments later the person stopped the lift between floors and assaulted them. Example after example of people who said that every part of them had tried to warn them at the time, and they had dismissed all those inner warnings and alarm bells, and pushed on into disaster.

So people, please pay attention to your intuition! Both males and females, If you have inner alarm bells telling you something isn't right, then LISTEN TO THEM!!! Trust your intuition and instinct. You'll be surprised how accurate it can be, and even if it turned out your intuition was wrong, the result is generally harmless - you went an extra lap of the block, you caught a different lift, or in the case above, you delayed going straight home and did a few U-Turns to check that your senses were right - but ignoring it when it is right might well be disastrous.
    It's interesting you should say this because I had what I can best describe as a heavy and unsettled feeling from the moment I turned on to Tweed Valley Way on my way into Murwillumbah to meet Warwick. It was so strong I checked the weather site from Warwick's computer as I thought a storm might have been moving in. I did stop to get diesel in Murwillumbah on my way back and there was another vehicle there, but it didn't register on me at the time, it was whitethough. I wonder if he followed me from there?

I never ignore my intuitions, I'd rather feel a bit silly than have a mishap.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very unsettling for you Odille. I am not far behind you in age and I certainly don't feel that I would have the strength to fight off an attacker.
    I often feel vulnerable when I go out for a photog outing by myself - especially if I go looking for birds in the bush or a sunrise shoot at a beach when on holidays. I refuse to go on the sensible side and just not get myself in isolated situations - I enjoy my own company and treasure the time I have to myself. It's very sad that, in today's society, we can't feel safe because of other people's greed/lust, etc.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    ...glad tonight is the end of the world...
    Alas! Nowadays we can't even get that right.
    Am(ope).
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you were okay and take care out there.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I have been hesitant to go out on my own for some time now since being 'creeped out' by a loathesome stranger. It's a pity because I used to like going out on 'photo drives' and exploring new ground.

re Ezookiel .... I had a nasty lift incident but I was already in the lift.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done on trusting your instincts and everything turned out OK. NOW WARNING CALL 000 and report it as it is happening. Do not wait. Police don't mind attending calls where someone is in possilble danger. Don't feel embarrassed if it turns out to be harmless(I doubt it in this situation and even if they can't take any action then, he has had a scare himself) It is not as if you are calling the police every 5 minutes. I'm glad you are ok cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricat View Post
    Well done on trusting your instincts and everything turned out OK. NOW WARNING CALL 000 and report it as it is happening. Do not wait. Police don't mind attending calls where someone is in possilble danger. Don't feel embarrassed if it turns out to be harmless(I doubt it in this situation and even if they can't take any action then, he has had a scare himself) It is not as if you are calling the police every 5 minutes. I'm glad you are ok cheers Brian
    I thought about it Brian but twice when I checked the phone I had no coverage. I had the Vodafone with me not the telstra mobile, silly me.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    I thought about it Brian but twice when I checked the phone I had no coverage. I had the Vodafone with me not the telstra mobile, silly me.
    Which is also a timely reminder that if you (anyone) are going somewhere without mobile phone coverage, consider investing in an EPIRB. It could come in handy for a whole range of reasons, snake bite, fall, medical condition. I cart one with me now when I go out taking photos cause you never know when you might experience an issue, and your mobile phone doesn't have coverage.
    Last edited by ricktas; 24-12-2012 at 10:57am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I go out by myself, which can be a spur of the moment decision, I take my Spot GPS messenger and open the web page that shows my location so my wife knows where I am. It plots my location every 10 minutes If something does go wrong there are a few options to send an I'm ok message, I need help but it's not urgent message or the full blown Epirb emergency signal.
    A few weeks ago I had two flat tyres coming home from taking some photos in the evening but luckily I was in mobile range and was able to call home to get help (which reminds me I must put the air compressor back into the 4wd).
    If it had have happened a little earlier when I was out of mobile coverage I could have called for help with the Spot and the map would have shown where to find me. It's good peace of mind or me and for my wife.
    Last edited by Dittography; 24-12-2012 at 11:29am.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Which is also a timely reminder that if you (anyone) are going somewhere without mobile phone coverage, consider investing in an EPIRB. It could come in handy for a whole range of reasons, snake bite, fall, medical condition. I cart one with me now when I go out taking photos cause you never know when you might experience an issue, and your mobile phone doesn't have coverage.
    I had never thought of that, but it would be a great idea to invest in one. Thanks for the tip, Rick.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dittography View Post
    When I go out by myself, which can be a spur of the moment decision, I take my Spot GPS messenger and open the web page that shows my location so my wife knows where I am. It plots my location every 10 minutes If something does go wrong there are a few options to send an I'm ok message, I need help but it's not urgent message or the full blown Epirb emergency signal.
    A few weeks ago I had two flat tyres coming home from taking some photos in the evening but luckily I was in mobile range and was able to call home to get help (which reminds me I must put the air compressor back into the 4wd).
    If it had have happened a little earlier when I was out of mobile coverage I could have called for help with the Spot and the map would have shown where to find me. It's good peace of mind or me and for my wife.
    How does this work? Can you post some links?

The EPIRB is a good idea too.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://www.findmespot.net.au/SPOT-GPS-Messenger.html

Note there is an annual 'subscription' that needs to be paid to use some of the features.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to the Aus website http://www.findmespot.net.au There's a good bit of info there that explains it better than I could. But basically you can log onto your account before heading off and set up pre-programmed messages and recipients (via sms and/or email). I've set up messages along the lines of:
    "I'm ok but running late so don't worry" This one goes to my wife.
    "I'm ok but need some help" This one goes to my wife and friends that are willing/capable of helping

and then there's the things have gone bad and I need emergency help message that also goes to the emergency services as per an epirb alert.

The real time tracking is an additional annual service cost but worth it for me. I like it because if I do need help they can see where I've been to work out how to get to me and also if I'm unable to activate the spot it will sit there and keep sending my location and when my wife realises it's late and she hasn't heard from me she can raise the alarm. Like I mentioned earlier if I get up early and head off for a couple of hours my wife can see where i am and also tell if I'm on my way home. It's handy for fishing trips in the boat too..

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks chaps. I've put that on my wishlist. Once I sell the Blad that wiuill definitely be in my glovebox with a year's subs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry you had to endure this, but thanks for sharing, it can help to make us all a bit more aware.
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Which is also a timely reminder that if you (anyone) are going somewhere without mobile phone coverage, consider investing in an EPIRB. ....
    They may not be in instant solution, though my experience with the Rural Fire Service and related aviation tells me that someone will definitely be on the job and responding the relevant people if you activate an EPIRB.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wiould have to be pretty serious for me to activate an EPIRB, I must admit. I've worled with Emergency Services people too, no way would I scramble a response team unless there was a real danger. But the GPS thingy does appeal.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure an Epirb is the answer to this sort of thing. Usually you can get emergency service on your mobile (SOS only) by dialling 121. EPIRBS are really for being lost in the bush or at sea and allow the emergency services to locate you, but do not allow conversations. There's nothing like a mobile phone to put of a stalker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    I'm not sure an Epirb is the answer to this sort of thing. Usually you can get emergency service on your mobile (SOS only) by dialling 121. EPIRBS are really for being lost in the bush or at sea and allow the emergency services to locate you, but do not allow conversations. There's nothing like a mobile phone to put of a stalker.
    You may be right regarding the EPIRB value in this situation but the value as mentioned by Rick is that a signal would be available in locations where a mobile was not and Odille stated that she had no mobile reception so dialling 121 and speaking to an ES operator was not an option. A mobile with a camera and a GPS is certainly of use in many situations including this if reception is present.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast