Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Canon 18-200mm recall???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 18-200mm recall???

Hi Guys/Gals

as the title eludes to, has canon ever put out a recall on these lenses?

the reason why i ask is, my lens has decided it doesnt want to retract all the way back to 18mm, sometimes 25 or 30mm.
    it sounds like and obviously looks like something is preventing it from operating properly.
    i did a bit of hunting around and came across a site that suggested canon put out a recall on these lenses for this issue relating to a screw or screws coming loose and causing the issue...

now, i know that if they havent i'll have to pay for it to be looked at/repaired but if they have, it saves me some coin...

Cheers in advance guys

Ashley

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ashbox View Post
    as the title eludes to, has canon ever put out a recall on these lenses?

the reason why i ask is, my lens has decided it doesnt want to retract all the way back to 18mm, sometimes 25 or 30mm.
    it sounds like and obviously looks like something is preventing it from operating properly.
    i did a bit of hunting around and came across a site that suggested canon put out a recall on these lenses for this issue relating to a screw or screws coming loose and causing the issue...
    I found the following on the Canon USA Web site:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...01e02480296b8f

We have discovered that some EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens products may have screws that come loose inside the lens and which may interfere with zoom operation of the lens. We would like to convey the details and our service policy.

We offer our sincerest apologies to customers who have been inconvenienced by this phenomenon. Canon always strives to provide the highest quality products to our customers and we spare no effort in our quality management to make sure our customers can use our products with confidence. We hope our efforts will earn your understanding.

Affected Product:

Digital SLR camera interchangeable lens “EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS”
    Serial Numbers 450xxxxxxx to 631xxxxxxx

Phenomenon:
    There are cases in which the zoom barrel gets stuck and stops moving during zoom operation.

Support
    The products with this phenomenon will be inspected and repaired free-of-charge.
    There is no mention (that I have been able to find) on the Canon Australia Web site.

I suggest you contact Canon Australia on 13 13 83.

Canon's head office is in North Ryde (Sydney), so a repair job may mean shipping your lens inter-state.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 18-200mm recall???

Excellent, I shall do that tomorrow

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a bit of an update, I rang Canon but to no avail, they pretty much turned around and said theres nothing in their notes about any issues with the particular lens...

But the interesting thing is that i've looked at the serial number on mine and it falls in amongst the group of numbers listed on the article previously mentioned by Xenedis.

I cant justify paying $50 just for an assesment fee plus whatever else it is to fix it atm with bubs coming along and all that other fun stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another update..

i found my purchase receipt, i did purchase the 2 year extended warranty and it runs out 24 feb next year

i'm now waiting for digicam to send me out some stuff so i can send it back to them