Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D800 at Jb Hfi

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Nikon Australia stock is supplied by Nikon Asia which are based in Hong Kong.
    If the warranty card says Nikon Australia it is one that has been supplied to Nikon Australia from Nikon Hong Kong and then on to a local retailer.
    Stop panicking Steve.

Updated,
    just had a look at a box and it has D800 (HK) on the main sticker on the end of the box and HK on the accessory box.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers Arthur..

one strange thing is the accessory box has a HK sticker on it, but was bought from a big chain store and has the Nikon warranty card inside saying distributed by Nikon Australia ..I had a D300s that had a AU sticker on the warranty card indicating Australia I would have thought..seems strange ...you blokes that have bought locally...do you have a AU sticker on that BOX ?

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers Andrew..I didnt think a camera house store would stitch me up..but you never know in this sick sad world ...but thanks for clearing that up for me mate .
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just checked me lenses with the D800..af is spot on with all of them...left right and centre ...now to go and take some pictures

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was purchased over the counter at Vanbar.
    From my understanding, they're bona fide Nikon Au resellers .. warranty bizzo and all that stuff.

BUT!! mine has Nikon HK all over it.
    The sticker on the box is littered with small Asian 'hieroglyphics' .. barley a word of English. There is a listing of the contents, in 4 languages English and 3 other Asian dialects.

Warranty card is Nikon Au, says so, but the product(code) is definitely listed as Nikon HK!!

That is the distributor listed on this warranty card says Nikon Australia P/L, but the product model is listed as D800E HK SET.

All serial numbers check out, Vanbar have a pretty good reputation to maintain, so I think they're legit .. maybe the E doesn't sell in numbers and Nikon AU get them from Nikon HK or something.

Anyhow, I'm thinking all is good .. at least I have no issues with it, which was my main concern(and hence why I wanted it over the counter from a reputable source) ... none of this focus issues, and lockup problems and stuff like that.

If only I could get these damned CF cards to work properly, I'd be 100% happy.

Whilst on a bit of a chat about D800's ....

I'm having trouble with getting more than 15 frames before the buffer fills up and locks the camera down.
    Camera set to 100 frames in the shooting menu, card is now a fast Lexar card(800x UDMA7) .. has very good write speed(tested), good, not fantastic, but the camera refuses to allow more than 15 frames before the camera stops to a 1 frame every 2sec dawdle.

I suppose if there was a reason to prefer the D700(or even D300!!) over the D800, that'd be for faced paced continuous shooting.
    I'm about to set up some different image quality settings to see how fast and for how long this thing can shoot.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mines the same Arthur...about 19 frames before the crawl...I expect its the huge files the camera is trying to store...my card is a sandisk 16gb extreme rated at 60mbs

yep as Andrew said in his first post ..it ain't a D700..but I must admit im liking the files from this thing ..as for continuous bursts..i ain't never gonna do that unless I see a UFO or something

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm the same.
    I only do large burst if I'm shooting some sports type thing(gokarts have been the latest interest)... but I just want to know what it's capable of before I find myself doing it.

camera's r count says 12 .. that is r12 on the indicators, but I can't get it to shoot more than 15 at all before the slow down . then it shoots at 1 frame per two secs, sporadically, then the occasional 2fps and then 1f/2sec again.

I just got a 800x Lexar card, which are supposed to work fast .. that is faster than the Sandisks on an 800(Rob Galbraith!) .. but I can't even get it to write fast through it's partner USB3 reader!

Read speed on the other hand is unbelievable!

I also have a Sandisk Extreme SD card too.

.. anyhow, I'm about to post a quick summary of what I have:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont have mine at hand, but I'm almost certain you can select multiple AF point in single servo AF. I said almost
    It will feel foreign if you had a grip on the D700, because the D800 is a smaller body, and then sans grip it's tiny compared to the D700, which was bigger than my D3/s with the MB-D10 attached.
    I like a grip, big hands etc, but the pricing and no real benefit other than extra battery life have stopped me buying the MB-D12 for the D800....

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out DPR..it says on their review that that it will slow down at around 15 frames at full FX or 30 frames in DX mode..if you wanna shoot more its gonna have to be Jpegs

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d800-d800e/14

Wayne.....you can select different AF points in AFS .but only by using the multi selector, im afraid nine point/21/51 and 3d tracking are only selectable in AFC mode
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 12-12-2012 at 12:03am.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    but I can't get it to shoot more than 15 at all before the slow down .
    That is a build feature, not a fault.

By Nikons own figures ( page 436 in the bible ) you have

lossless compressed 12 bit = 21

lossless compressed 14 bit = 17

compressed 12 bit = 25

compressed 14 bit = 20

uncompressed 12 bit = 18

uncompressed 14 bit = 16

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok...so the auto ISO feature that recognizes the FL used is a fantastic feature and the 3d tracking works great too, after a bumpy start with the new way of adjusting the AF {AFC or AFS} im liking the new way ...im really enjoying getting to grips with this camera ...ive ordered two extra Nikon batteries from DWI for $114 the pair..also just bought a black glass ND filter {Hoya HMC 400}...this camera makes me wanna break out the old 17-35 and go shoot some surf in slow mo
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 12-12-2012 at 11:04pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12