Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D800 at Jb Hfi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D800 at Jb Hfi

D800 at Jbhif is 10% off this weekend {8-9/12/12} in WA at least..also they have a trade your old camera in deal for a further $300 off..the old camera can be anything..even a old phone with a camera...takes the price to $2850 for a Aussie version with a two year warranty...im sorely tempted to get one and move the D700 along...
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do splash the cash Steve, keep the D700 because --

#1 The D800 is not a D700 replacement!!

#2 You will end up kicking yourself later if you get rid of it.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL..I know andrew..but I cant have both mate...its either one or the other ...!

what do you feel is lacking in the D800 that the d700 does better ? ....I know that processing the files is about three time longer on my current desktop...using such plug-in such as Topaz denoise etc
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 09-12-2012 at 2:49pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, I reckon I could hold a 3 hour conversation about the 2 cameras and never identify things that are "lacking" in either because to me they are 2 completely different cameras built for different purposes.

Processing requirements are always going to be a learning curve when you go to a different camera so long as you keep using the prehistoric complicated and sloth like a$obe products, conversely I find the processing requirements for D800 files to be shorter if anything as they require less doing to them and what you do end up doing is done at a far more accurate level due to the higher resolution. Mind you, I am referring getting them ready for print not just for web usage where they are wasted in my opinion.

If you can only have the one body and from what I know of your shooting and the ultimate output I would stick with the D700 as it simply does a great job already.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Steve, I reckon I could hold a 3 hour conversation about the 2 cameras and never identify things that are "lacking" in either because to me they are 2 completely different cameras built for different purposes.

Processing requirements are always going to be a learning curve when you go to a different camera so long as you keep using the prehistoric complicated and sloth like a$obe products, conversely I find the processing requirements for D800 files to be shorter if anything as they require less doing to them and what you do end up doing is done at a far more accurate level due to the higher resolution. Mind you, I am referring getting them ready for print not just for web usage where they are wasted in my opinion.

If you can only have the one body and from what I know of your shooting and the ultimate output I would stick with the D700 as it simply does a great job already.
    LOL..too late mate.. she's gone { gumtree listed for 24hrs}...a new camera is in me future..as me old man used to say..moneys made round to go round ..and a new body will get me out clicking for a few weeks

I didn't buy a Jb hifi D800, as Ill give me local shop a chance to price one up for me....if no ill wait for a xmas sale ..bound to be a few more before the 25th

fair play on the differences between the two..pity you ain't down the road mate as it would be great to catch up and crap on about cameras for a while
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 09-12-2012 at 6:36pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are sooo lucky to be talking about this.. I had a D700 & a 70-200VR.. I desperately needed an all round lens so traded to D700 in for the Nikon 24-70, all I had left was enough to buy a nearly dead D300 (which took great images due to the top quality glass).

Im now sitting here with a 24-70/70-200 & a....... D7000 A big drop for me as means changed cards, got to get a battery grip & batteries... makes me think I should have kept the D700 & just got a 50mm lens.. I have been informed to hold my breath if I want a D700 ever again
    Cheers

Wazza
    ---------------------

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tough call warren..something im glad I didn't have to do..im slowly upgrading my gear, about 8 months back I went from a D300s to a D700..both bodies were bought used, I wanted a D800 when they first came out but opted for the D700 and later picked up a used 24-70...now with the Nikon trade in deal of $300 and the retailers having stock and keen to deal I find that I can now make that jump to a new D800....that should be it for the next couple of years I hope...but still had to sell the D700 to make the switch

the D7000 is a very capable camera and sometimes better than the D700 if reach is a issue..in good light there's no difference in image quality and you now have a great lens to bolt on the front..so don't be too sad mate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, well done mate, you won't regret a D800 buy.

I have prepared an advertisement for my D3s with the intention of getting the D4 now that they have dropped in price somewhat. I am amazed that within 12 months, D4 can be had new from the grey market for US$5100, but even more surprising is the huge drop in value of D800's being sold brand new by people who bought them but haven't used them, or who have only put a few hundred clicks on them, I am seeing them for US$2400 very regularly and even new from grey sellers for $2450!! (in stock). That is $1K less than many want for an AUS stock item..

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Wayne..yeah I was quite surprised with the online prices I saw today, @$2450 that's quite a saving over the cheapest local price of $2850...with $300 trade in deal..although the 2 year warranty might be worth it..plus there's the possible duty to pay if it gets caught at customs , any grey importers with local stock doing good deals?

If it does get pulled up at customs that would push the price up near the local price what with postage and all

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't used my D700 since getting my D800 and nor am I likely to. I see absolutely no circumstance where I would want the D700 over my D800 and for that reason my D700 is going up for sale.
    Last edited by Lance B; 10-12-2012 at 12:41am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    I haven't used my D700 since getting my D800 and nor am I likely to. I see absolutely no circumstance where I would want the D700 over my D800 and for that reason my D700 is going up for sale.
    So what are you doing with your D700 Lance, backup body?

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Ackary View Post
    So what are you doing with your D700 Lance, backup body?
    I am going to sell it off, only has 14,000 clicks and is in superb condition so I should get good money for it. I am getting a D800E to complement my D800.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    I am going to sell it off, only has 14,000 clicks and is in superb condition so I should get good money for it. I am getting a D800E to complement my D800.
    If only I had the $ I may oblige Lance... I fell in love with FF.. the D7000 as you said is good but due to the damage to my hand I need a grip or bigger body. If I had double lenses I would sell one.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a conclusion to my upgrade aspirations..I emailed all the shops around me the deal that Jbs were prepared to offer...only one said they would match it no problem..plus they had stock..so now I have a new D800 with a Aussie warranty and because I bought it in December from a camera house that's extended another year..so three years all up...all for $2850..im well chuffed and battery is on charge as I type.

blimey, i didn't see this coming on Friday night

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    just a conclusion to my upgrade aspirations..I emailed all the shops around me the deal that Jbs were prepared to offer...only one said they would match it no problem..plus they had stock..so now I have a new D800 with a Aussie warranty and because I bought it in December from a camera house that's extended another year..so three years all up...all for $2850..im well chuffed and battery is on charge as I type.

Congrats mate, well done!

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done. It's a superb camera!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Ackary View Post
    If only I had the $ I may oblige Lance... I fell in love with FF.. the D7000 as you said is good but due to the damage to my hand I need a grip or bigger body. If I had double lenses I would sell one.
    No Problems. I am sure I can get a buyer for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one Steve, that is a good local deal if it is genuine Aus stock.

I am going to pull the trigger tomorrow on the D4, just need to confirm stock with the offshore reseller. $5089AUD!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maaaate!

I saw it coming months ago!

Whoot! ... have fun with it.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guys..lmao Arthur, it was inevitable I guess..

So far so good..the difference between it and the d700 is enough to make it feel foreign to me, more so than the move from the d300s....one thing I can't suss out is how to set the af area to anything other than auto or single point...how do I get 9 and the 21 point areas to display in the top LCD ?..or the 3d tracking..its got me stumped ...I press the Af selector and turn the sub commander wheel but only single point or auto is displayed

the resolution is insane..and I'll need more ram in the desktop methinks..4GB ain't gonna cut it.

Ok just worked it out..seems the other points will only be selectable if afc is selected ..that's not as good as the d700 as I could select 9 or 21 in AFS as well
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 11-12-2012 at 12:54am.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    press the little button where your D700 has the CSM(Continuous/Single/Manual) focus switch.

It's been changed from a simple three way switch to a two way switch and button.

You press the button and hold it whilst rotating the Command and Sub Command wheels to alter the focus mode types.

Front dial will change number of points from S to d9, d21, d51, 3Dand to Auto.(you can see this on the top LCD.

Rear command wheel will change from AF-S to AF-C(single shot focus mode, or continuous)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast