Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo's for or against

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tattoo's for or against

Has the novelty of getting a tattoo now become the norm? Are you now considered to be an individual if you don’t have one? Am I the only one who thinks that young people should think a bit longer about getting one? Should you only be able to get a good one? Should a ten dollar tattoo only be done in Nikko pen? Should they be left for sailors and wharfies? Is it considered inappropriate for people to get cultural tattoos if they aren’t of that culture?
    Peter
    Canon s3is, 2 x 50Ds, Canon 18-55is, Canon 55-250is, ef 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon Nifty Fifty f/1.8,
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8 ex dg os hsm, Sigma APO 150-500 f5-6.3 dg os hsm
    tripod, monopod, 4 didgeridoo's.
    Two million years of evolution and I'm still a Homo ergaster.
    ttp://www.flickr.com/photos/mustymustang/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two. I got my first one 24 years ago when tattoo's were not the norm. I still love it ... but so many people are getting tattoos now, it is more unusual NOT to see someone with them...like my husband, who ironically doesn't like them! I met him with one and got my second one last year. I have friends who are covered in tattoos and friends who wouldn't be seen dead with one.

I think young people need to think twice about WHERE THEY PUT the tattoos and WHAT THE TATTOOS ARE OF, not about getting one. I saw one on a young lady's calf that basically told the world where to go! I wondered, after seeing that, what she would think about it in 20 or 30 years time.

Each tattoo, to many people, has a story. Something about them that they wish to express in ink. My two are of butterflies. It has a personal meaning. I am hopefully soon to have more, and yes, they too will have meaning to me.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have seen some amazing, beautiful work .... that cost a lot of money!! You pay for what you get, that's for sure! I have seen some ugly, ugly work. I can't stand tattoos that don't go with the bodies form. It needs to be artistic as well as appropriate.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think anything or anybody can make young people think longer about getting a tattoo, weren't you young once..
    Its human nature to go against the grain and if everyone is getting tattoos now it wont be long and they wont bother as they will want to be different.

I also think its more about where they are placed on the body and their meaning..

I have nothing against tattoos though have never wanted one, my hubby has three, and the three of my Daughters have five between them my Son does not like them. One of my Daughters wanted a special one for her 40th Birthday she said it was a milestone in her life, I don't think it made her feel any younger and she got a beautiful Butterfly near her right shoulder she is happy and isn't that what its all about.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is a sexist remark but on the blokes its ok but not real sure on my thoughts about the girls having them.I think they will regret them in time more then the blokes would.i have a couple myself done years ago before it was the trend and the only regret is i didnt get more.
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I chose, don't care, but what I do find amusing is this idea that by getting tattoos, body piercings etc that the person is expressing their individuality. How can thousands of people with celtic arm band or 'such is life' type tattoos be seen as being 'individual'? Individuality is created by your personality, not how you look, especially when everyone is copying everyone else.

A truly unique and well done tattoo is a work of art, but so many are just following along like sheep in the hope that somehow they will magically be seen as an individual for how they look. Who you are is what makes you unique.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder why the tattoo removal people are very busy these days.......hmmm.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've tats...had them done when I was sixteen...im now 47...all the young blokes that had them were considered rebels and looking for trouble...girls never had them unless they were punk rockers.....I hate tats on women..and young girls that get them and think it looks cute don't realise how rough they look on middle age women.

I think today's youth that get them are sheep..as we were...but there's more sheep now.....and tribal tats on white kids make me laugh.

yes kids that don't get one are bucking the trend
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    i've tats...had them done when I was sixteen...im now 47...all the young blokes that had them were considered rebels and looking for trouble...girls never had them unless they were punk rockers.....I hate tats on women..and young girls that get them and think it looks cute don't realise how rough they look on middle age women.

I think today's youth that get them are sheep..as we were...but there's more sheep now.....and tribal tats on white kids make me laugh.

yes kids that don't get one are bucking the trend
    I'm older than you, Steve and when in my late teens two of my close mates went to get tats on their upper arms and come back with Tweety Bird and Hot Stuff the devil which looks rather silly now at their age but seemed like a good idea at the time.

Agree re anglo Europeans with traditional Moari/Pacific Islander tats which is so common in many sports today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by norwest View Post
    I'm older than you, Steve and when in my late teens two of my close mates went to get tats on their upper arms and come back with Tweety Bird and Hot Stuff the devil which looks rather silly now at their age but seemed like a good idea at the time.

PMSL
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 09-12-2012 at 12:31pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have none, and will never even dream of getting one.
    So many people get them when young, silly and carefree, I think often without consideration for what it will look like or say about them in 20-30 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any. Never felt the need but not against them on principle. I just don't see the attraction.

What gets me is that the tats are permanent and I think people getting tats during a trendy period like now-a-days dont consider this properly. I think a minority of the current crop of youngsters getting tats would still be happy with tat design choice 20+ years later. Colours fade. Body shape changes. Skin stretches. Tastes change.

I guess everyone has to deal with consequences of their decisions. Happy or not later in life is their problem. Its part of life. If willing to pay $$$ and put up with pain they can be removed.
    Lauri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replied on the other thread, but I will do so again here.

I am a young woman who has 15+ tattoos and counting *gasp*.

I love GOOD tattoos, and I HATE bad tattoos. I think there is a big difference between the tattoos that sailors got 60 years ago to the ones that are done well today. The technique is different, as well as the ink. Today's tattoo's will last alot longer than those, because of that and because we know that sun can damage them, so I personally look after mine, I wear sunscreen everyday and cover them up when I can in summer.

All my tattoos have meaning to me, they have been specifically designed for me, they aren't generic, they are well done and I have had nothing but positive feedback from them. I also have piercings and have shaved half my hair off! I haven't really thought about whether im a sheep or not, because whether I have tattoos or not, has no bearing on anyone else other than myself.

I often laugh when people ask me if I'll regret my tattoo's, because when Im old and my health is failing, I'm sure my first thought will be "damn I regret these tattoos that remind me of the good days". I dont care that you aren't tattooed, so why do you care so much that I am?
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I chose, don't care, but what I do find amusing is this idea that by getting tattoos, body piercings etc that the person is expressing their individuality. How can thousands of people with celtic arm band or 'such is life' type tattoos be seen as being 'individual'? Individuality is created by your personality, not how you look, especially when everyone is copying everyone else.

A truly unique and well done tattoo is a work of art, but so many are just following along like sheep in the hope that somehow they will magically be seen as an individual for how they look. Who you are is what makes you unique.
    I'm with Rick on this.

But,

I do like the look of the 20/30 something women that have the Rocker styled Tattoos, but I always wonder what they'll look like at 60+, with Swallows and a broken hearts tattooed across there chest, or the tattooed lace to the hamstring areas.

So it's horses for courses.

Personally I have both arms tattooed, my right is above the elbow and has a Polynesian style (I'm a Anglo Saxon Local born product to OZ) but it will be finished with the Southern Cross below my elbow, my Regimental Army number tattooed in the elbow area and the Rising Sun and the lettering 'ANZAC' tattooed above and below, so it stands for the armed forces I served in for 14 years. Respect for service and people.

My Left arm is from Shoulder to wrist, It has a very large Celtic cross (I personally designed, not straight from a book), and below a never ending Triscol/Knott with the dragons chasing themselves. Then there is the family crest (O'Neill) and is surrounded by traditional Gaelic (tóg neart ó do mhuintir) It is all aimed to represent my family roots, and is very personal to me.

So I guess, yes I'm for them, but not for fashions sake, which seems to be the go at the moment. (What ever happened to yo-yo's and skate boards?)
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Formerly : Apollo62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by triptych View Post
    I replied on the other thread, but I will do so again here.

I am a young woman who has 15+ tattoos and counting *gasp*.

I love GOOD tattoos, and I HATE bad tattoos. I think there is a big difference between the tattoos that sailors got 60 years ago to the ones that are done well today. The technique is different, as well as the ink. Today's tattoo's will last a lot longer than those, because of that and because we know that sun can damage them, so I personally look after mine, I wear sunscreen everyday and cover them up when I can in summer.

All my tattoos have meaning to me, they have been specifically designed for me, they aren't generic, they are well done and I have had nothing but positive feedback from them. I also have piercings and have shaved half my hair off! I haven't really thought about whether I'm a sheep or not, because whether I have tattoos or not, has no bearing on anyone else other than myself.

I often laugh when people ask me if I'll regret my tattoo's, because when I'm old and my health is failing, I'm sure my first thought will be "damn I regret these tattoos that remind me of the good days". I don't care that you aren't tattooed, so why do you care so much that I am?
    I agree whole heartedly with everything you have said. Tattoos are a personal choice and I have 3 myself, all of which I got when I was younger. I used to be right into Punk during the 1980's and had my ears pierced which I did myself using a safety pin and a frozen fish (to numb the pain). Do I regret any of it? No because, at the time, it was part of who I am and will remain a part of me until the day I die.

Tattoos, like a lot of other things in life, are a matter of choice. Some choose wisely and have no regrets while others rush in without much thought and live to regret it later. To echo what triptych said, I don't mind that you don't have any tattoos as long as you don't mind that I do.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never liked them as there never seemed any reason for most other than commemorative reasons (military service, loved ones etc.) My son has a few which I never really liked. Then after we both retired from motor-sport he asked me to print out a few different sized images of our racing logo as he wanted to get one tattooed on his arm in recognition of our years together racing. He had it done and I mentioned to him that if I was ever to get a tattoo done that would be it. He gave it to me for a Christmas present.
    Cheers
    Keith.

This means a lot to both of us.
    KandTLogo3_tattoo.jpg
    Last edited by Speedway; 09-12-2012 at 5:27pm.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have four - they came with my job (Army or now ex Army ) Each to their own I guess but some who get them will regret them one day and it isn't something that will be easily removed.

Have been considring getting mine re-coloured as they have faded after 20 odd years but I don't think I could sit through the pain again

Karl
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Canon G12 in a Recsea housing with twin YS110 Alpha strobes
    Canon 7D with Sigma 18 - 250mm & 170 - 500mm lenses

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post

As I keep saying, the more people try to be different, the more they end up being the same.

Tattoos are really for life, so choose wisely. Personally, I don't want to be branded like cattle, but if others choose to have them, that is up to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 20 when I got my tattoo, I don't regret it at all. But I think I was lucky in what I chose to have. Its not a "tacky" tattoo. But I think young people should definitely think long and hard before getting a tattoo. Its with you for life and if you decide later you don't like the pain and expense of removing it, is just not worth it
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Cheers,
    Khia

~ Beginner ~ Canon EOS 300D ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people who call tattooing "branding" really have no idea about them.

Here is one of my tattoo's, its a portrait of my grandpa. I love it and it means alot to me, this photo was taken just after it was done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by triptych; 10-12-2012 at 2:38pm.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all have different tastes though I would rather look at my Grandfather in an Album or in a Frame

What about when you get too old to bend down there too look..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast