Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a D7000, only "see" one problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting a D7000, only "see" one problem

After the D300 I had went to Nikon Heaven I looked at my wifes D7000 (tbh not ergonomic enough for me compared to a D700 which is out of my price range).

Looking at getting the D7000 via grey market as $ is always a problem, ANYWAY.. this is what I see on my wifes camera... when she (or I) have gone to focus in on say a bird sitting on the fence... the AF points tend to pick up other things moving.

I dont like that as I am used to the D300 & D300s I originally had being able to have the single focus point in the middle of the viewfinder for me to navigate around. The other focus points showing up on anything that moves tends to put me off the subject.
    I havent had a look at the better halves menu as yet to see if it has wrap around but I know of the D700 that dosent cause that even with ALL focus points selected.

IF anyone has an idea how I can turn those off and just have the center focus spot it would be much appreciated. My reason is I shoot sports.. they are NBL, Cricket & Darts (the latter I dont need to have a dart in the air in focus & the player out).
    Thanks for your time
    Cheers

Wazza
    ---------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D7000 gives you a number of options for focus, including single point which will let you move your focus point around the focus area and will let you turn on wrapping. There are a fair few other options, buit that is what I use.

I have the D7000 and love it, produces beautiful IQ and since I have got some good Nikon glass I have been extremly happy with the results.
    Last edited by simonrl; 03-12-2012 at 8:06pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Warren, sounds like your wife has the AF set on AF-C when it should be set on AF-S then you can move the focus point where you like. Do you still have the manual? If so, page 208 will show you how to change these selections.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Ackary View Post

ANYWAY.. this is what I see on my wifes camera... when she (or I) have gone to focus in on say a bird sitting on the fence... the AF points tend to pick up other things moving.

From what I can gather on this setup, it sounds like the AF system is set to AF-A, which is the setting for allowing the camera to automatically determine which focus points are the relevant ones for that particular scene.

On the D300, this is the same setting as the Auto3D focus tracking .. or whatever it was called.
    I tried that setting once or twice, but never really liked it much, using it only very rarely.

I think with the D7000, you press the AF settings button that's labelled A/M (where the CSM button is on the D300 .. front left hand side), and you rotate the sub command wheel to set it to any of the settings seen through the viewfinder(or rear LCD screen if info is displayed). The options may be something like S(single) d-<number>(where the number indicates the number of active points, 3D(subject lock and tracking) or Auto(literally where the camera chooses which points to use).

Apologies if this is not entirely accurate in description, but it's been about a month since I played with a D7000, and I adusted these AF settings trying to figure out why this particular D7000 had trouble focusing properly.

I'm not sure how well the D7000 tracks with auto AF and 3d tracking, or in auto mode, but the D300 was not reliable enough to warrant it's usage very often.
    So far that I've seen the D800's 3D tracking mode works a lot better, and I may end up using it more regularly.

I would set the D7000 to AF-C(or AF-S if you prefer) via the command wheel, and af point selection type to S via the sub command wheel.

Note: sub command wheel is the front dial, command wheel is the rear dial. Also, you don't need to look through the viewfinder to see all settings either, they also display on the top LCD screen as you scroll through the menu system, or as said earlier, if you pres the info button, this also displays via the rear LCD screen, possibly via a more graphic display indicating which AF points will be active.

Just be sure that you press the A/M button, not switch it from A to M!! It's different to the old style CSM switch that you may be used too on the D300.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Arthur, yes I know all well about ACM etc as well as the LCD reading but I like to view everything in my viewfinder when shooting.

The folcus points showing up when other things moved is what bothered me, Diana dosent seemed worried yet informed me she still as single spot in the center and I said but you should NOT have other points showing when something moves as its off putting. Thanks for all the info, will use it when I get the body, cant wait to try it with my Nikon 24-70 2.8 & Nikon 70-200VR

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CherylK View Post
    Hi Warren, sounds like your wife has the AF set on AF-C when it should be set on AF-S then you can move the focus point where you like. Do you still have the manual? If so, page 208 will show you how to change these selections.
    Hi Cheryl... Diana has her manual but took up my suggestion and got the easier to read "Magic Lantern" book, anyway when mine arrives and I sort it out Ill then show Diana and see if she changes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know how much I had to drink today ... you are abolutely right Arthur AF-A was what I meant

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Cheryl

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CherylK View Post
    Don't know how much I had to drink today ... .....
    Irrespective of the actual figures involved with respect to the quantities consumed, a new fact now becomes apparent, in that you are not distributing these beverages in an equitable and fair manner to all the relevant correspondents.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill drink to that

Seriously though as I want to stay on topic.. thanks for all help, expecting said body tomorrow

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, got the camera today.. driving me nuts even with the manual
    Go to focus on a subject, still get focus points picking up other things (even though there is the central focus point)

To make me want to rip my hair out (whats left of it), I look at the live review and it even shows what I saw in the viewfinder.. so I am seeing grid and a pile of red squares in there also (just hope when I upload this image I dont get them LOL

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warren, the depress the focus mode button ( lower part of the body under your left fingers when holding the camera ) and then rotate your command and sub command dials until you have af-s and single area focus mode showing on the info screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Warren, the depress the focus mode button ( lower part of the body under your left fingers when holding the camera ) and then rotate your command and sub command dials until you have af-s and single area focus mode showing on the info screen.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andrew
    I found that out watching a video of jared Polins, one of the only times I have resorted going back to him. All sorted and its setup the same as the D700 I had to part ways with

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also have it in single focus point continuous tracking. It's what I use for anything moving.
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoc View Post
    You can also have it in single focus point continuous tracking. It's what I use for anything moving.
    I like the sound of that Ian as I shoot alot of sports etc, just dial it off when doing portraits?
    Whats your thoughts on wrap around.. on or off etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have wrap on. Makes it a bit easier to get the focus point to the other side if need quickly. Yep, go AF-S for portraits or other non moving subjects. It's a great camera. Enjoy

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have wrap on. Makes it a bit easier to get the focus point to the other side if need quickly. Yep, go AF-S for portraits or other non moving subjects. It's a great camera. Enjoy

Thanks mate.. still wish I had have kept my D700 though. Then again I wanted the Nikon 24-70 2.8 so bad I traded it in on that.
    Now I need a battery grip & spare battery, cant find the D7000 in my hand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a D700 also (love it as well). Best of both worlds. Yes the 7000 is tiny, but that can be a plus sometimes. It's a great cam to put the 35mm 1.8G on and throw in the wife's bag when we go to a restaurant or similar with family or friends.

That's funny cause I'm madly saving for a 24-70 as well
    Last edited by Epoc; 06-12-2012 at 11:32pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a D700 also (love it as well). Best of both worlds. Yes the 7000 is tiny, but that can be a plus sometimes. It's a great cam to put the 35mm 1.8G on and throw in the wife's bag when we go to a restaurant or similar with family or friends.

That's funny cause I'm madly saving for a 24-70 as well
    Yes still brings a tear to my eye when I see a D700
    So I have the 24-70 & 70-200 both VERY weighty for the D7000... I think a battery grip & battery may help with the balance act.
    Do have a 50mm to put on there. $ Is a priority so will be spare battery 1st, grip 2nd and then think about 2 x 32GB class 10 cards ( dosent listen to me anymore though)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your interested, I have now purchased 4 Transcend 32GB class 10 cards of this eBay seller and can vouch 100% for their cards being genuine. I have run the H2test program on all 4 and they have passed with flying colours.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300603788...84.m1497.l2649

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought about a 2nd hand D700?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast