Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photography at Events - Know your Rights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neil70 View Post
    So i went to the boundary and shit close ups when the play came to me.
    Well the flies wont be in your eyes
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh, dear. Thread hijacked.
    ... So i went to the boundary and shit close ups when the play came to me.
    Don't matter what length your lens is, they'll get you for indecent exposure!

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    If you're referring to Canon gear, those lenses are incompatible with the extenders.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Daniel Thompson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Canon 7D & 5D Mark II : 24-70mm f2.8L : 70-200mm f2.8L IS II : 17-40mm f4L : CANON EF 100MM F2.8 MACRO L IS USM: 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM : 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS : 50mm f1.8 : 430EX II & 580EX II External Speedlites : Manfrotto 190X PROB + 804RC2 head : Lee CPL, ND and GND filter system : Lee Big Stopper : CS6 Photoshop : PS Elements 11 : PS Lightroom 5 Tightly packed into a Lowepro Pro Runner 450

Follow me on FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/GreenOrchardPhotography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So i went to the boundary and shit close ups when the play came to me.
    Geezz! I hope those pics didn't turn out crappy!!!

Sorry, mate, but you've just given me the Laugh Of The Week!! Thank you!
    5D MkII Gripped | EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Extender 2x II | 580EX II & 430EX II Speedlites
    Wanted: The list is long.......so very long........(sighs)
    Oldies but still goodies: AE-1+Program | FD 28mm f/2.8 | FD 50mm f/1.4 | FD 70-210 f/4

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just a general note here for those reading this thread. Venues etc are NOT public spaces (owned by the people of Australia), like roads, beaches, footpaths are (generally). Once you enter a privately owned/operated 'space' you have to abide by the wishes (terms and conditions) of the owners of the 'space'. So whilst you might get away with shooting under such conditions, be very aware of not just what YOUR rights are perceived to be, but also what the rights of the location owner is as well. Cause you could end up in Court, and do you really want to spend your money fighting something in a legal setting?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Just a general note here for those reading this thread. Venues etc are NOT public spaces (owned by the people of Australia), like roads, beaches, footpaths are (generally).
    Note that in Sydney, Randwick council requires people to have a permit to photograph on streets and beaches within its jurisdiction.

That's right -- you cannot take photos on 'Bandi' (formally known as Bondi) beach without a permit.

Public places aren't public places.

As long as there's a nasty combination of paranoia and greed, permits, even for non-commercial photography, will be the unpleasant result.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note that in Sydney, Randwick council requires people to have a permit to photograph on streets and beaches within its jurisdiction.
    That's right -- you cannot take photos on 'Bandi' (formally known as Bondi) beach without a permit.
    As long as there's a nasty combination of paranoia and greed, permits, even for non-commercial photography, will be the unpleasant result.
    Yikes!
    http://www.randwick.nsw.gov.au/Place...phy/index.aspx

So all those smartphone and compact camera 'togs better be prosecuted for not having a permit.

When will this madness end!
    Last edited by Kym; 18-12-2012 at 5:22pm.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Yikes!
    Indeed. Sydney is the city of one of the world's most famous beaches, yet people aren't allowed to photograph it without going through pointless red tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    When will this madness end!
    Just as soon as paranoia and greed go out of fashion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is the line drawn I wonder? Can they really stop you photographing a sunset in a public place - it might be for personal consumption only (some of you ARE addicted to sunsets aren't you?.)
    If your family are scoffing fish & chips in the foreground, is that different to a model posing in the same location. How will they tell she is not your sister!
    It would be interesting to see how they enforce the rules.
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNQ View Post
    It would be interesting to see how they enforce the rules.
    My guess:

1. iPhone - turn a blind eye.
    2. DSLR - call the cops; it's obviously a pervert terrorist type.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Just a general note here for those reading this thread. Venues etc are NOT public spaces (owned by the people of Australia), like roads, beaches, footpaths are (generally). Once you enter a privately owned/operated 'space' you have to abide by the wishes (terms and conditions) of the owners of the 'space'. So whilst you might get away with shooting under such conditions, be very aware of not just what YOUR rights are perceived to be, but also what the rights of the location owner is as well. Cause you could end up in Court, and do you really want to spend your money fighting something in a legal setting?
    And if I may add to what Rick has said, at these events where you purchase a ticket you do not have a contract with them, it's a mere license to enter the premises... so if you're kicked out of the venue you can't jump up and down screaming breach of contract :P

Highly unlikely you'd end up in court though as the legal costs would far exceed any recoverable amount the aggrieved would be seeking. At worst it'd be arbitration, but even then, it comes down to how much the photo you 'illegally' took is worth to them, probably bugger all in reality. Might not be welcomed at another event run by the occupier though.

For the council regulation of photography, again you'd probably just cop a fine if you contested it with the ranger. I think for hobbyists playing dumb/innocent would get you off with a warning and if you were selling the images captured without a permit that'd be pushing it into fine territory (although proving you didn't have a permit after the image was taken would be a little harder and more involved for the council). Again, unlikely to end up in Court due to the exorbitant fees vis a vis recoverable amount.

I'll be in Sydney next month and will be doing some sunrises along the big beaches.. I'll be dammed if I am going to get a permit, I'll take my chances and let the ranger who is hiding behind the rocks at 3am fine me.
    Last edited by Sifor; 18-12-2012 at 5:58pm.
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A beachfront private property boundary is usually at the high water mark (can't remember if it is the median or highest astronomical tide mark ) Does a council's jurisdiction end at the high water mark as well I wonder??
    That question might bamboozle a ranger at 3am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not quite true about Bondi, it applies to images intended for commercial purposes. I have personally fought Waverley Council on this front on 2 occasions and the rangers tootled off and did something more constructive. They had no idea how to proceed when they asked me for a permit and I told them I didn't need one.
    Enclosed Lands Act is your friend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNQ View Post
    A beachfront private property boundary is usually at the high water mark (can't remember if it is the median or highest astronomical tide mark ) Does a council's jurisdiction end at the high water mark as well I wonder??
    That question might bamboozle a ranger at 3am
    The tidal boundary is taken to be the average high water mark defined in the s9 Land Act 1994 (Qld). Be mindful of any easements though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12