Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photography at Events - Know your Rights

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photography at Events - Know your Rights

Yesterday, my wife, my son and I all formed part of an audience of close to 7000 people packed into Rod Laver to see The Wiggles perform live. Those of you who are parents of young toddlers, would probably know that this tour is The Wiggles last concert as a group together before the new performers step in.

As I normally do, I came equipped with my camera in hope to snap a few nice shots. But this was a plan floored right before it got up and running. Approximately 10 minutes into the show, seated close to the front of the stage, we were approached by 2 event security guards and asked to put my camera away as it is “too big”. To my shock I replied, “What? Are you serious?“ Security responded with… the Event copyright clause stipulates that there are “no big cameras allowed at the event.”

Now, here I am sitting next to a lady with a Nikon d5000 and next to her another man with some DSLR and every other person on the audience of 7000 with their point and shoot, mobile phones, DSLR’s and video cameras and I’m the one who’s been targeted… I said to the security… What makes me different to all the other people in the audience with a camera? Why is me taking a picture with my camera doing anything different to the lady sitting next to me?

The answer…. The event organisers have spotted you using the camera via video surveillance and have asked that you put it away because it is considered Pro…

I was shocked, I sat my camera in my lap, listened to all the comments from others around me (in my support) and decided that I was not going settle for the poor excuses I have been given, ‘it’s too big and considered Pro’ and started to shoot again. Ended up shooting 300 or so shots and taking 3 videos… Hoping to make a nice photo/video slideshow (for my kids, not for commercial use)

My point here is, if you’re approached by security at an event because they feel threatened by your gear!, as it stands, I did read the agreement before the event and it was not stipulated that particular makes and models of cameras are forbidden… Rather, there is a restriction on the size of the lens, which in this case is no more than 200mm… If I was to be approached again, I would have acted dumb, asked to sight the Copyright agreement, pretended I could not read and asked him to read out aloud the section on photographic equipment… That would have been so fulfilling!

My set up… Canon 7D, 24-70 f2.8L and an EX430II external Flash… Doesn’t say much for the event organisers knowledge of photographic equipment in order to regulate its use… Everyone knows the 200mm and greater Canon lenses are White!! (in the ‘Pro’ range)
    Daniel Thompson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Canon 7D & 5D Mark II : 24-70mm f2.8L : 70-200mm f2.8L IS II : 17-40mm f4L : CANON EF 100MM F2.8 MACRO L IS USM: 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM : 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS : 50mm f1.8 : 430EX II & 580EX II External Speedlites : Manfrotto 190X PROB + 804RC2 head : Lee CPL, ND and GND filter system : Lee Big Stopper : CS6 Photoshop : PS Elements 11 : PS Lightroom 5 Tightly packed into a Lowepro Pro Runner 450

Follow me on FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/GreenOrchardPhotography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From me, good on yer Daniel for your comprehensively consistent approach and congratulations on its outcome. The subject and the circumstances are touchy betimes, and require discretion, but this at least a good news story.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad you `flaunted` those stupid laws. It sure is a joke.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you weren't ejected from a Wiggles concert

Well done!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, they could have ejected you anyway. Fair? No. Within their power to do so? Absolutely. The fact that DSLRs now pretty much all take video (HD) will probably see some promoters banning them altogether at performances by entertainers. It's just easier to say "no" to everything, rather than try to spell out every possible piece of equipment that is or isn't allowed. Perhaps they saw you taking video whilst the others were just shooting stills?

Cheers,
    Tim

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the situation in a nutshell:

Firstly, event organisers and owners of private properties can ban photography in their properties.

Secondly, said people can also turn a blind eye to the five thousand iPhones snapping away, but target you because you have a professional-looking camera, and therefore must be a terrorist, or worse, a professional photographer who might make a dollar for a print of a middle-aged man in a skivvy.

It's completely illogical, but there's nothing you can do about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rent-a-cops with a chip on their shoulders because they're not allowed to carry a gun or physically touch you in any way.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now be careful where you put those photos you have. If you put them up on AP or any other 'public' place, The Wiggles could sue you!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time I went to a wiggle concert. Approx 12 months ago. They encouraged photography and recording. Anthony (Blue wiggle) would tell the crowd when something was going to happen "ok dad get your camera out, you are going to want to get a photo of this". I remember thinking how wonderful that was after going to places that frowned/restricted cameras.

Cheers
    Danny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think from past threads there has always been an issue with Rod Laver Arena irrespective of the event. But everywhere is tightening up, several years ago you could take a camera and long lens into the Sydney Intl Tennis tournament but not the Aust Open, but I note from the ticket conditions that all tennis tournaments leading up to the Open now have bans.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza999 View Post
    I think from past threads there has always been an issue with Rod Laver Arena irrespective of the event. But everywhere is tightening up, several years ago you could take a camera and long lens into the Sydney Intl Tennis tournament but not the Aust Open, but I note from the ticket conditions that all tennis tournaments leading up to the Open now have bans.
    At one point at the AO there was a focal length restriction of 200mm. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

I've no experience with that, but I suspect if you turned up with a 'professional-looking' 70-200mm f/2.8 lens which is big, white and, err, professional-looking, you'd be told to take a hike; but if you rocked up with a much less-imposing 55-200mm cheapie, you'd have no problem.

I wonder how the AO authorities handled the fact that some P&S cameras have camera capable of achieving framing the equivalent of 500mm in 135-format.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just look on facebook to see how many of those 7000 posted images. It's starting to get rediculous....
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just add a 2x extender on your 24-70 or 18-135, or a 24-105 if you have it. They wouldn't even realise.
    Flickr
    Call me Chris

Gear: Canon 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f4/L IS USM | Canon 430EX II Speedlite | Hoya Pro1 CPL | Velbon Tripod
    Canon EOS 500D | Canon 18-55mm IS (Kit Lens) | Canon 50-250mm IS (Kit Lens) | Marumi Super DHG CPL

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enVision View Post
    Just add a 2x extender on your 24-70 or 18-135, or a 24-105 if you have it. They wouldn't even realise.
    If you're referring to Canon gear, those lenses are incompatible with the extenders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the MCG also has a 200mm restriction. I was asked by a security guard what size my lens was and i told the truth (400mm) he told me to put it away and that i could shoot with a smaller lens if i wanted to, when i asked him if he could show me the terms he said look it up on the net. he didn't have access to a copy. So i went to the boundary and shit close ups when the play came to me.
    Canon 6d, 7d , 40d, 100-400L, 24-105Lmm, 50mm 1.8, 28-135 and a sigma 18-200
    Aquatech underwater housing
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilpoulton/

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neil70 View Post
    So i went to the boundary and shit close ups when the play came to me.
    It might have been better to head to the restrooms for that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photography at Events - Know your Rights

Quote Originally Posted by neil70 View Post
    Betcha that made security forget all about your 400mm lens
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take my D7000 to AAMI when Melbourne Storm and Melbourne Heart play at home, and have just been waiting for security to tell me the same thing. I did go to the website and searched on photography and found that you are not allowed to have "professional" cameras at the venue. Because my camera is not full frame I will argue (rightly or wrongly) it is not a professional camera, considering I am only taking the photos for my benefit not to be sold (although I would love to become a pro sports photoghapher)
    Last edited by ElizabethAtkinson; 04-12-2012 at 7:58pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil70
    Call Kym... He is good with I-O errors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast