Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Strange behaviour with MC-DC2 corded remote on my D600

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange behaviour with MC-DC2 corded remote on my D600

When I plug the corded MC-DC2 remote (genuine Nikon article) into my D600, my rear screen won't work. No re-play, live view, info, menu, nothing, zip, nada.
    I also get a buffer message of 'r10'.

Unplug the remote, buffer message goes away, rear screen back to normal.

OK, I've probably missed a setting somewhere, but I can't find it.

Any thoughts?
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does sound rather weird Kevin, I can't think of any logical reason for the camera to be doing what it is doing.
    Your remote is listed as being compatible with the D600 so there should be no issues.

Maybe a call to Nikon on Monday?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is strange because it has been working fine till the other day.

I was shooting cockatoos in the back yard and needed to go to flash, and when I wanted to check my first flash shot, no replay.

I've just fitted the genuine MB-D14 grip and it started out a bit flukey, but seems to have settled down so I won't blame that. Anyway the problem is there without the grip fitted.

My bigpong account has been 'shaped' till tomorrow, so it is very painful to go looking for answers till it gets back to normal.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the buffer msg appears on the top LCD, this means that you have the shutter release half pressed.
    By inserting the remote and not doing anything else, then it appears as tho the shutter is either fully active or half active.

sounds like it's short circuited.

That is, even tho the release button isn't being depressed, internally the wires that make that connection are connected.

Unless you are confident with an internal inspection, some rapid pressing of the button may help to release the contacts and it may come good.

Otherwise it looks like a warranty job.

Do you have your camera setup with the default AF-exposure mode. That is, do you have the camera setup so that it will only shoot the exposure once AF is confirmed?
    If so, then what you can check, is to set the camera to manual focus, and then take a shot with the camera by hand(without the remote) to confirm that the camera can make a shot without focus confirmation.
    (which it should do)

If that works, then inset the remote, and if the camera instantly takes a shot then the remote switch is fully active. If it only shows this r10 buffer msg, then it's half active(similar to a half press of the shutter release).
    Also if you have continuous drive set on the camera, then it will take continuous shots too ... etc.

BUT!!!! .. also do note(and I'm assuming you already know this) that there is a release locking mechanism on the remote, where you can press the button and slide the lock into place, which hold the release in place.
    I think the lock action is to slide the lock 'forward'. I don't have an actual Nikon MC-DC2, but this is how it works on the MC-36. This lock is inscribed HOLD with an arrow facing in the direction that you slide it.

This feature is for long exposure hands free work.

The shutter will remain open for as long as this lock feature is locked into place, but only in Bulb mode as the shutter speed.
    If this lock feature is set on the remote, but a specific shutter speed is set on the camera, the shutter will only open for as long as how it's set on the camera(ie. 1.60s or 10sec .. etc) .. and you won't see any image on the review screen, as the camera thinks you are still pressing the shutter button.

.. hope this helps.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the very comprehensive reply Arthur.

I've opened the switch and all seems kosher and not part activated.

And I was aware of the sliding lock on the switch.

It is being a little inconsistent at present and exhibiting the dreaded 'intermittent' problem.

I've done a default reset but no change.

I'll talk to Nikon tomorrow.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon said 'try another remote' so I did.

Ordered a $3.24 Hong Kong special, plugged it in, and no more problems.

The 'el cheapo' remote seems more substantial, and the plug is certainly a more snug fit.

Go figure !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad it worked out ok kevin.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Graeme.

Now I'm all set to go, we'll have to do the Botanical Gardens when the weather is a bit more kindly.