User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Canon FD lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon FD lenses

I have a Canon 600D with the 18-55 and 55-250 kit lenses and am not in a financial position to upgrade lenses at the moment. However what I did have was my lovely old Canon FD lenses that I hadn't been able to part with, so I bought an adaptor and started trying these out.

So far I have only taken a few shots in the backyard, and of course you have to focus manually and work in Manual or Aperture Priority modes. Also live view seems to work sometimes and not others, but I like the colours I have started to get. You also realise how heavy these lenses are compared to the very plasticy kit lenses and start to build muscles again.

I have attached a couple of photos taken using my old favourite 35-105 f3.5. Has anyone else tried this out with any success?

Honey-Gem.jpgHoney-Gem-2.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...

I've done the same as you with an adapter and a couple of FD lenses.

I have a Canon 50mm f1.4 (FD) and a Canon 100mm F4.0 Macro (FD).

I played with them for a while before I invested in EF lenses and the results were ok close up, but I eventually bought the Canon EF 100mm F2.8 IS L macro and I also use it as a low light normal lens as it can focus on infinity.

Luckily, years ago I bought a Tamron Adaptall II zoom lens, 80-210 F3.8-F4.0 that was unique because it had an interchangeable mount system. My original lens mount was for my Olympus OM2n but I changed it to a Canon mount quite easily. Because the mount on the Tamron is physically removed and replaced, there were no infinity focus issues.

I've since bought a Canon EF 70-200 f4 L IS, so I don't use the Tamron anymore...

As you probably know, focusing on infinity is a problem when using FD lenses with an basic EF mount adapter.

My FD to EF adapter does not have a correction lens inside the mount to correct the infinity focus problem. I didn't buy this type as I read the quality produced was not very good. My adapter also did not have an embedded computer chip to allow autofocus to operate as normal when mounted on an EF DLSR.

If anyone has any of these old lenses, the adapter is a cost effective way to get lenses that work on a EF mount DSLR, although in manual mode and maybe without infinity focus.

I used my lenses on a Canon 7D.

There's a article about Canon FD to EF here:
    http://www.canonrumors.com/tech-arti...-your-ef-body/
    Last edited by flashc; 03-12-2012 at 12:01am. Reason: addition
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II