Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clarification with upgrade options

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheaper here
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have solved the 5DII versus 7D dilemma for myself. I have two bags of gear at the moment, one with my 5DII and my landscape/macro lenses, the other with my 7D and 70-200 plus tele convertor. I have been fortunate enough to get lots of vouchers recently, so am splashing out for the 5DIII. This will give me one body that does everything I want.....

I am still kicking myself for buying the 7D, as I knew it was a compromise to have a body with faster frame rate (to accompany the 5DII that is my "go to" camera). I wish I hadn't purchased it now and just upgraded straight into the 5DIII, but I made a hasty decision. Now I will be getting rid of a lightly used 5DII and barely used 7D. I thought about keeping one of them as a spare body, but I know I will NEVER take both with me, so they will just sit in a closet gathering dust. Wish I had a crystal ball, as this would have been a much cheaper exercise. Getting the 5DIII is probably overkill, as the 5DII is the body I always grab (and even that not regularly enough), but I really have nothing else to spend the vouchers on, so may as well use them before they expire. I hope Canon does not bring out another body for a LONNNNNG time! At least my wife has given her blessing on this one, as she has no use for the vouchers either, so it is all systems go!
    Enthusiastic amateur..... Canon 5D Mark II Canon 7D Canon 17-40 L Canon 24-105L Canon 70-200L F4 IS Tamron SP 90 macro Kenko 1.4x Pro 300 DGX Teleconverter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roastman View Post
    I have solved the 5DII versus 7D dilemma for myself. I have two bags of gear at the moment, one with my 5DII and my landscape/macro lenses, the other with my 7D and 70-200 plus tele convertor. I have been fortunate enough to get lots of vouchers recently, so am splashing out for the 5DIII. This will give me one body that does everything I want.....

I am still kicking myself for buying the 7D, as I knew it was a compromise to have a body with faster frame rate (to accompany the 5DII that is my "go to" camera). I wish I hadn't purchased it now and just upgraded straight into the 5DIII, but I made a hasty decision. Now I will be getting rid of a lightly used 5DII and barely used 7D. I thought about keeping one of them as a spare body, but I know I will NEVER take both with me, so they will just sit in a closet gathering dust. Wish I had a crystal ball, as this would have been a much cheaper exercise. Getting the 5DIII is probably overkill, as the 5DII is the body I always grab (and even that not regularly enough), but I really have nothing else to spend the vouchers on, so may as well use them before they expire. I hope Canon does not bring out another body for a LONNNNNG time! At least my wife has given her blessing on this one, as she has no use for the vouchers either, so it is all systems go!
    I think we are all guilty of this, I have bought a few lenses on the spur of the moment, I rarely if ever use.

"Hindsight" is a wonderful thing (there is also few classic Muscle Cars I owned that I should have kept too )

The 5D III certainly has it all, and if I could bring myself to sell my 7D and some of my lenses it would be the perfect camera for me too...................... buy it, sell the other stuff and don't look back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to trying the 5DIII out on Saturday morning. I shot some pics last weekend with the 5DII that I need to re-shoot (looked OK on the LCD, but when I got back to home and viewed them full size realised I had no detail at all in the shadow areas). I don't expect to see a lot (if any) difference in my landscape shots, but it will be nice to have the higher frame rate when I need it. I rapidly got annoyed with carrying two bodies and then started leaving one at home, so it really defeated the purpose of having both. The 5DIII is a slight compromise on frame rate, but it certainly is not a compromise on image quality. Can't wait to play!

Hopefully I won't stuff up the exposures again on Saturday!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone and sorry about the delay in getting back to this thread. Christmas & being on holidays got in the way ! I'm actually leaning towards full frame now and will be looking at the 6D closely now it has been released. More thinking to do as this will be my first upgrade and I really want something that will enhance the skills I already have and help push me into the next level with more creative control.
    My gear: Canon 450D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Canon 430EX II. My Flickr

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban El Pedro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon are doing $300 cashback on 6D with 24-105 at the moment so good time to buy. Has to be from authorised Australian stockist, best I found was $2850 so I snapped it up. This was a Boxing day sale price so you might have to see if they're still in the festive spirit.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi El Pedro, who did you buy from? And how are you finding it? I'm really hanging to see some photos from this camera. Might have to stalk Flickr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12