Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarification with upgrade options

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clarification with upgrade options

Hi all,
    I would love a bit of advice/clarifications on upgrade options. I currently have a 450D which I have been using for over 4 years. The time has come for me to upgrade. I have 2 main contenders: 7D & 5Dii. Firstly they are both well priced and in my budget (under 2000k).
    I shoot a range of things however my real love is landscape with some family photography (my own) thrown in too. From what I have read, the 5D is better for landscape while the 7D is perhaps better suited to people shots, particularly with its rapid fire and moving children?
    The 6D is an outside contender but I think it is too expensive at the moment for me and I would rather spend that money on an ultra wide lens for landscape, either the 10-22 or 17-40 depending on which camera I choose. I currently use my 18-55 kit lens for landscape so both will be a wonderful upgrade to my kit. My 100mm, 50mm & T28-75 will be interchangeable with both cameras and I'm happy to leave my kit lenses at this point as my skills have improved
    Any insights and personal experiences to help my decision making process would be gratefully received.
    Thanks, Bec.
    My gear: Canon 450D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Canon 430EX II. My Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't owned either, but from what I've heard/read/deduced the 5Dii has the IQ advantage over the 7D. The main advantages of the 7D are autofocus and burst speed - also size and weight and built-in flash, if that's important to you. The 5Dii is significantly more expensive than then 7D.

Unless you're chasing the kids around to get the photo, I think I'd rather the 5Dii for people shots. Besides IQ, the FF sensor results in a shorter DOF than a crop sensor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 5DII is also said to have better ISO noise performance in low light.
    The 7D has more focus points (19) and faster frames per second, however whether you'll actually need the 8fps depends on what you shoot...

The 5DII also does not have a built in flash, so if you don't already have one, you'll need to get an external one (I would highly recommend this anyway..)

Cheers,
    Cecu

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cecu, I have a 430EXii, I do not ever use my pop up flash on the 450D.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban El Pedro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6D is within your budget, I'd go for this if you wanted FF. If you can wait a few months the price will come down. Also Canon is set to release the 7DII early next year, this might be worth holding out for if you want to stick with a crop body.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between the two, I would buy the 5DMkII and I would keep the 450D and the two EF-S lenses you have UNLESS you can get a good price for that kit to put towards your UWA zoom lens.

The 5DMkII is plenty quick enough to capture kids playing around.

For Portraiture generally I would prefer the 5DMkII over the 7D, especially with the Prime lenses you have.

The 28 to 75/2.8 as a Standard Zoom Lens, is better suited on a 5DMkII than a 7D.

So in all apsects for the purposes you have outlined, a 5DMkII makes more sense, than a 7D.

WW

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As usual William W, you are a wealth of knowledge. I was hoping you would pop in. That is exactly the clarification I needed. I will definitely be keeping my little 450d. In fact, a while ago you recommended to me to get flash and it was one of the best things I have purchased and something I now recommend to those who ask. It helped me get a lot more use out of the 450d as they are not great at high ISO.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is a very good idea to keep the 450D, basically once a couple of years old, most DSLRs become more valuable to the most owners than as liquidation into cash for other purchases - it occurs to me that many don't ever see the practical value of having a second camera body, but rather are just simply too keen on 'upgrading'.

We have a 400D and the two kit lenses (18 to 55 and 55 to 250) and a 35/2, which is used almost exclusively as its own ‘kit’ – it has its own (small) bag and is great for many activities and I use it often for teaching. Whilst our uses might be more varied than a General Photographer’s uses – I think you will find that the 450D will integrate into a DUAL FORMAT KIT very well with a 5DMkII.

For example, if you’re at a soccer game, the best general solution for you will be the 450D and the 55~250 zoom: you might not like Soccer – but there are other similar situations where you wil want a telephoto.

If later you buy a fast telephoto or telephoto zoom, then the 450D will have that ‘extra reach’ with that lens, also.

Also using your 100macro, there is an immediate advantage of two different Working Distances.

Also (for me anyway) the 450D and the 18 to 55 would be a camera I would leave in the boot of the car on a regular basis, as I travel around (I do travel by car often), if this is you, then you could have a camera ‘at hand’ all the time.

If your passion is Landscape, then if you do not have already, you will need to investigate a Tripod and Head – gear which should last a lifetime and which one should not skimp on investing good money for quality.

WW

Thank you for your kind words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded from the 450D to a 7D. It took me a while to get use to the 7D, but I'm very happy with the camera. I've kept my 450D body, I'm the sort of bloke who always likes to have a spare . I think either the 5D or 7D would be great.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks WW, I do have a tripod but it was given to me as a gift and completely gets in my way each and every time. There must be easier contraptions out there! There is no way it would hold a 5D either. Any brand recommendations for me?

cinvala, what were the main things that took you a while to get used to with the 7D? I have heard a lot of people say this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote rbat : what were the main things that took you a while to get used to with the 7D?

If you can use one Camera (Especially same brand) You can use another , Just forget about all the Bells and Whistles of the new one for the time being , They all have a Shutter ,ISO settings and Aperture settings, Thats it, If you dont shoot manual they all have AV, TV and Auto

Re : Tripod, Depends on where you want to use it (Portibility) If your going treking , Light and sturdy, If you shoot out of the back of a car , And dont have to walk far , Get heavy and very sturdy , For the price I found

Vanguard to be very good ( even in Salt water and Sand) I got the Tracker 3 and SBH-100 ball head http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.p...4-227-618.html
    Last edited by William; 05-12-2012 at 4:44pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbat View Post
    There must be easier contraptions out there!

haha!

Quote Originally Posted by rbat View Post
    Any brand recommendations for me?

I use mostly Manfrotto. But that's because I mainly use Manfrotto. You kind of get what you pay for, in the top of the line brands.
    Best to understand all the 'features' when comparing and contrasting tripods and heads - and work out IF you need what features.
    As a matter of generalizations - I don't like Ball Heads, yet I have and use one (loose ball) on my Monopod, sometimes.

Incidentally I bought a very useful (sturdy) tripod from a money lender shop - very cheap: tripods are one item which are very easy to test.

WW

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks WW, I've made a note of those brands and will definitely look into them when the time comes. I'm not a trekker! I will be using it mainly for beach landscapes and macro work.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks William too, sorry I got my William's confused! I had a look at your website and I just love your landscape work. Beautiful stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id go for the 5d2. the 7D is nice but for what you are shooting i would go for the 5d2. If you shoot sports/wildlife etc. the 7D is a better choice due to frame rate and better autofocus. The 7D is still a nice camera and also takes efs lenses if you have any of those lenses
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    I think it is a very good idea to keep the 450D, basically once a couple of years old, most DSLRs become more valuable to the most owners than as liquidation into cash for other purchases - it occurs to me that many don't ever see the practical value of having a second camera body, but rather are just simply too keen on 'upgrading'.

We have a 400D and the two kit lenses (18 to 55 and 55 to 250) and a 35/2, which is used almost exclusively as its own ‘kit’ – it has its own (small) bag and is great for many activities and I use it often for teaching. Whilst our uses might be more varied than a General Photographer’s uses – I think you will find that the 450D will integrate into a DUAL FORMAT KIT very well with a 5DMkII.

For example, if you’re at a soccer game, the best general solution for you will be the 450D and the 55~250 zoom: you might not like Soccer – but there are other similar situations where you wil want a telephoto.

If later you buy a fast telephoto or telephoto zoom, then the 450D will have that ‘extra reach’ with that lens, also.

Also using your 100macro, there is an immediate advantage of two different Working Distances.

Also (for me anyway) the 450D and the 18 to 55 would be a camera I would leave in the boot of the car on a regular basis, as I travel around (I do travel by car often), if this is you, then you could have a camera ‘at hand’ all the time.

If your passion is Landscape, then if you do not have already, you will need to investigate a Tripod and Head – gear which should last a lifetime and which one should not skimp on investing good money for quality.

WW

Thank you for your kind words.

Yeap, as above + 1.

Solid advice as always WW..
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from the 450D to the 7D a couple of years back, kept the 450D (had to use it while the 7D was away for repair recently , felt like a toy and ended up packing it away and waiting for the 7D to come back) - I agree with the earlier post 6D as best option -5d Mkii is old technology - still will take great photos but from the reviews 6D will doing everything better easier.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Yeap, as above + 1.

Solid advice as always WW..
    I thought this too, and had the 450D in my work bag, after using it a couple of time, and knowing the 7D could have done it much better, it is the 7D that goes everywhere with me now - if you have good gear use it, other wise you will be disapointed in the results, knowing what you could have got using your better camera.
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davearnold View Post
    I thought this too, and had the 450D in my work bag, after using it a couple of time, and knowing the 7D could have done it much better, it is the 7D that goes everywhere with me now - if you have good gear use it, other wise you will be disapointed in the results, knowing what you could have got using your better camera.
    It's all relative Dave, you should get close enough results from a 450 to a 7D, just the 7D will out feature the older body. Obviously it depends on what you're shooting at the time.

But hay, If I had a older body and lens combo, I don't see the bad thing with leaving it in the boot as a secondary kit.

But the OP, is asking for our thoughts on the TWO bodies, and I happen to agree with William W, nothing more mate.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose my main photography subject is moving wildlife - and the focussing system of the 450D is way behind the 7D - and that is its main downside - about a year ago I did a photo a day with the 450D and 50mm F1.8 to improve my photography skills - but that was more scenic/stationary subjects and I got some great images.

From the OP question - I would go to 6D, followed by a 5d Mkii ( just looked and they are now selling used on ebay for around $1300, wow their value has dropped quickly since the release of the 6D )

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rbat,

You could try here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast