Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: ControlMyCanon

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ControlMyCanon

A few years back I wrote about a tethering software for Nikon, called (funnily enough) ControlMyNikon, which the developer had only made available for certain Nikon bodies.

Now he's made a version of ControlMyNikon for Canon bodies too .. hence the name ControlMyCanon!

Anyhow, it's said to be the same program as ControlMyNikon, so the features are unbelievably long to mention in one post ... pretty awesome software if you want to automate a focus stack of a zillion images or whatever.

Anyhow ... look here: ControlMyCanon for a bit more info.

it seems he's bumped up his pricing since I got CMN a while back($9.95!) and now it's advertised for close to $30 .. but CMC is currently offered for US$20.

Note tho, I mentioned automated focus stacking, and to do this with ControlMy_ you will also need a focus stacking program. (I use the freeware CombineZP).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this Arthur. I can't use that particular software under linux/wine as it gives an error, but it DID lead my on a search, and I found Entangle http://entangle-photo.org/ .

Now I too can play with tethering (for free). I have a tiny eeePC netbook running linux that I could use, so it would allow me to use it like one of those more expensive pieces of dedicated hardware for tethering.
    80D, 600D, EFS 60mm Macro, Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Lens - Contemporary, Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II lens, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens, Yongnuo YN500EX flash, Velbon Sherpa 5370D tripod, PH-157Q head, Klika W1003 monopod, AF Macro Extension tubes, LED Ringflash Software: Darktable, Gimp, DigiKam

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Arthur – this looks like a very comprehensive, well designed and useful application.

Cheers

Dennis

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having got into more macro stuff a few years back, and then seeing some of the impressive results achieved with focus stacking .. I decided to look for simple tethering options other than what I'd already found.

The one main feature I preferred with this software was the unique manner it allows you to focus(AF lenses), as it has a 'focusing pad' as one of the controlling options for the camera/lens.
    This subsequently makes focusing so much easier when using liveview because you don't have to physically touch the camera/lens in any way.

Then I found the tute on how to setup the batching routine for automated focus stacking ... directing it to load the resultant stacked images into the preferred focus stacking software ...

.. I was making dinner one day whilst I had the camera setup doing a 50 exposure shoot and then stack.

Focus stacking made .. probably a bit too ... easy!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at the risk of asking a dumb question, how does this differ from the Canon supplied tethering software?

I note he doesnt do a mac version, Canon does.

Thx
    Jon

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies, but I have no answer for this, as I don't have any Canon equipment. Only a trial evaluation for those that can will enlighten other Canon users.

But(AFAIK) .. the Canon software probably doesn't allow the batching ability that ControlMy software does, nor will it (most likely) have the ability to connect to all manner of external peripherals and accessories for the purpose of greater flexibility(eg. sound triggering/light triggering/bar code scanner triggering! .. etc)

The developer has many online videos of how most of the features work, or what they can achieve .. I've downloaded all of them .. but they do eventually become tedious to watch in their entirety .. just the first 10mins or so are enough for a basic understanding of the potential for the software.

As for supported OS'es ...

a quick read of the FAQs on the site reveals:

Is there Mac version?
    Not yet, but there are plans for this in the future.
    So if this is important .. watch his space!

Unfortunately tho there's no plans for a Linux version due to manufacturer driver non existence.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventureoverland View Post
    at the risk of asking a dumb question, how does this differ from the Canon supplied tethering software?

I note he doesnt do a mac version, Canon does.

Thx
    Jon
    At face value, apart from any cosmetic User Interface differences, the CMC app offers triggering the shutter by using a Smartphone, Powerpoint device (I assume an IR pointer?), Speech, etc.

There is also Focus Stacking – if this is automated in the CMC app, I’m not sure if EOS Utility does this other than manually?

Cheers

Dennis

Former Username : Wetpixels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

Unfortunately tho there's no plans for a Linux version due to manufacturer driver non existence.
    But there is libgphoto2 for controlling a Canon (and many other cameras). This is what Entangle uses.
    It takes photos and sets controls ( http://www.gphoto.org/doc/remote/ ). Maybe it's not good enough yet,
    but at least stuff is happening.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this would be helpful but I have mentioned it a couple of times for other people.

I am hanging for the new version to be released.

https://triggertrap.com/