Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon Remote Control

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon Remote Control

Looking for a good remote that will suit my 50 D for taking multiple frames (as in star trails) for stacking.

I have a Hahnel that will allow off camera flash and remote shutter/blub and so forth, but not able to set it to take multiple exposure's.

Hakka has pointed me toward this but I feel this is overkill for what I'm looking for.

Any ideas or ones you're currently using?

Cheers,
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a cheaper version would suit?
    There appear to be plenty on the market after a quick search, even the genuine Canon unit is less expensive than some.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew, was looking at the first you've linked to, but want to know how long it will take shots for, some time out after an hour or so, need to read into it a bit more. The Canon one will, but again, looking at a cheaper model if i can find one, as my Hohnel will do all but multiple exposures. Hohnel also have the Giga T Pro 11, I could just upgrade I guess.

Cheers mate,

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    but want to know how long it will take shots for, some time out after an hour or so, need to read into it a bit more.
    I'm not familiar with that model (after all, Nikon bodies have them built in ) but according to the text in that eglobal page " The time can be preset from 1 second to 99 hours." and site advertiser fotogenic have a similar unit that apparently allows up to 99 hours as well.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to get the Yongnuo MC-36 of Fotogenic, looks the goods.

Cheers Andrew..
    Last edited by Roosta; 09-06-2013 at 3:05pm.

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Magic lantern firmware has timelapse intervalometer in it
    Canon 7D Mark II

Adam Brice

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outstar79 View Post
    Magic lantern firmware has timelapse intervalometer in it
    AB, Yeah I know, but it's everything else it does to the body in way of re-writing the software. I can also use the remote on the 1D, this is something I've been wanting to get into allot more. Will bring the 50 D up next swing and have a play.

Stay tuned, and thanks for your reply.

Going Cold Blooded
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've uploaded the software on my 60d and it has a separate menu system to run on, you can still utilize the camera the normal way too - on mine I press the trash bin button when in normal shooting mode and the magic lantern menu then appears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about one of these? http://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos/tc-80n3.htm

I'm interested in it but I'm not sure if its compatible with the 6D or not. Anybody know?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have recently bought a cheap (relative to Canon cost) Chinese intervalometer from DPD in North Sydney.

I needed mine quite quickly so it was easy for me to pop round the corner & pick it up, suspect the same things are cheaper on eBay if you're not time critical.

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/...%252d80N3.html

It's clearly a copy of the canon one, but les s than half the price.

Easy to use too. It will keep taking shots until the memory card is full unless you tell it how many to take.

Hth
    J

Sent using Forum Runner
    Last edited by Ventureoverland; 10-06-2013 at 8:16am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many options out there, but all you really need is a cable release that you can lock, so that each time the shutter is closed that sets it off again. This works fine if you are not going longer than 30 seconds at a time which in most cases will be enough for time lapse and taking into account the 600/your focal length calculation.
    You can also buy one of the Aputure Timer Remote Controllers quite cheaply that allow you set longer exposures as well as delays between frames for interval exposures like in time-lapse.
    Steve

Equipment: A couple of Canons with some lenses and a heap of enthusiasm

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrunx View Post
    How about one of these? http://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos/tc-80n3.htm
    I'm interested in it but I'm not sure if its compatible with the 6D or not. Anybody know?
    Cheers mrrunx for the link, but I've grabed the one I mentioned in earlier post. Have a look here, this has the full camera compatability list, give them a call, they're in Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventureoverland View Post
    I have recently bought a cheap (relative to Canon cost) Chinese intervalometer from DPD in North Sydney.

I needed mine quite quickly so it was easy for me to pop round the corner & pick it up, suspect the same things are cheaper on eBay if you're not time critical.

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/...%252d80N3.html

It's clearly a copy of the canon one, but les s than half the price.

Easy to use too. It will keep taking shots until the memory card is full unless you tell it how many to take.

Hth
    J

Sent using Forum Runner
    Yeap, the one I have grabbed is close enough to the Canon original, just 1/3 the price. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by in2fx View Post
    There are many options out there, but all you really need is a cable release that you can lock, so that each time the shutter is closed that sets it off again. This works fine if you are not going longer than 30 seconds at a time which in most cases will be enough for time lapse and taking into account the 600/your focal length calculation.
    You can also buy one of the Aputure Timer Remote Controllers quite cheaply that allow you set longer exposures as well as delays between frames for interval exposures like in time-lapse.
    Agree Steve, I picked the Yongnuo, as now I have a flash trigger and remote for both bodies, seemed worth the extra $20 -$30 over a shutter release only.

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by outstar79 View Post
    I've uploaded the software on my 60d and it has a separate menu system to run on, you can still utilize the camera the normal way too - on mine I press the trash bin button when in normal shooting mode and the magic lantern menu then appears.
    I wonder if this is the same on the 50 D, as I thought it over wrote the original software, and no way to recover to the original Canon software. May be different on the 60 D AB, as all I can find re ML on the 50 D is just that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So hows the Yongnuo MC-36 going Roosta? Worth it or would you buy a second hand (7 years old) Canon TC80N3 for $40?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still at work (FI - FO) I get home tonight, so I'll collect it tomorrow and hope to give it a try over the weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the Yongnou MC-36 and very happy with it. Got it for a bargain on ebay, much cheaper than the genuine unit and more features.

One thing I dont like is you cant switch it off.............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cant switch it off? that kinda sucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and now for something totally different....

http://www.kayellaustralia.com.au/io...c-199_341.html

Im in the market for some similar to you albeit for a nikon. I found this the other day and it took my interest.

cheers
    Danny

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danny View Post
    and now for something totally different....

http://www.kayellaustralia.com.au/io...c-199_341.html

Im in the market for some similar to you albeit for a nikon. I found this the other day and it took my interest.

cheers
    Danny
    Cheers Danny, but I don't have an iPhone.

There are plenty of free Aps for (i) devices that can control your camera, just depends on what features you want/need. I went for this particular remote to shoot star trails.

If I may suggest before you spend your hard earned, work out what it is you need the remote to do exactly, as it looks as though the link attached requires you to hook the camera up with your phone via a cable, and that could be a pain if doing longer exposure work, and then your phone rings at the crucial stages. Where do you leave the iPhone whilst hooked to your camera, and so on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently purchased a Yongnuo from Ebay for my 7D. Works fine, good value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any cheapie from Ebay. I think half the brands are the exact same item anyway. IMO the wireless ones are worth it for the extra flexibility, especially if you think you might ever want a self shot. Don't waste money on Canon branded gear for this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast