Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Heads Up for D600 owners on Hejnar Photo 'L' brackets

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heads Up for D600 owners on Hejnar Photo 'L' brackets

I've just received from Hejnar Photo an 'L' bracket for my D600.

First up, it is not a dedicated bracket for the D600 as it is imprinted 'D300'.

Secondly, when the bracket is positioned away from the camera to allow access to the ports, it is prone to twisting as the flange does not line up any more.

And lastly, even with the bracket at it's maximum off-set position, it doesn't allow clear access to the cable release port. That means I can't plug in my Nikon MC-DC2 cable release.

Not happy, Jan !! I'm returning it.

I'll now be patient and wait till RRS release their 'L' bracket for the MB-D14 grip.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bummer Kevin. Hope you sort it out and get the better option ASAP.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you had a look at Kirk L-Brackets? I have one for my D300, and a friend has just got one for his D600. I am very happy with mine.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/L-bracket_f...th_MB-D14.html
    Last edited by davidd; 28-11-2012 at 3:50pm.
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kev, email Kris and tell him of the problem ( wrong bracket supplied from the sounds of it ) as his communications are pretty prompt and positive. I bought a bracket, some lens plates and a clamp from him and they are all excellent bits of gear rivalling Kirk, RRS or Markins at a much lower price point.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew, unfortunately, in this instance, what I have said above is correct.

I had no problem with the quality of the product, and as alluded to in your review, it was quite good.

However, in this instance, a short-cut was taken, ie, trying to pass off the D300 bracket as compatible with the D600, and it just does not work.

I have emailed Kris, and he has agreed to issue me a refund.

Cheers

Kevin

I hope from our interaction on this forum that you appreciate that I don't set out to denigrate anybody, but this product just wasn't suitable.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kev, absolutely no problems with anything you said.
    I simply took it as though he had made a mistake in packing but if he is trying to say the 300 plate fits the 600 then it is something to growl about.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks for the clarification. Like Andrew, I thought you meant you had been sent a D300 version when you ordered a D600 one.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Heyjnar L bracket for my D300(which fits well on the D800 by the way), and recently I also got a Kirk L bracket for the D300 too.

Whilst the Heyjnar bracket certainly restricts access to the side ports, in that it barely allows any access at all, the Kirk bracket allows access, but not actually allowing real access!
    That is, the only way I can get the access rubber grommet door open with the Kirk mounted, is to prise it open with a fine screw driver, which is all well and good eventually, but then the problem comes back to haunt you when you try to close that access hatch again. It's nigh on impossible to seal properly without a screw driver again.
    As a long term prospect, the idea of gouging out chunks of rubber from this weather sealed hatch is not something I'd be doing .. ever!

The beauty of the Heyjnar L bracket is in that the side support is removable which leaves the base plate still on the camera

Of course this implies that an allen key or hex tool is required every time access to the hatch is needed, so that the side rail can be removed, but I barely ever use those side ports anyhow.

This is partly what I was referring too in other threads about the D600 and it's less appealing connectivity!

I'm a heavy user of accessories such as remotes and GPS addons, and the simplicity, durability and access of the these ports was a critical decision I had to make in my choice of camera.

Not good from Kris to palm off the D300 base as a D600 item tho .. and in saying that I've had nothing but praise for his ability and service in the times I've dealt with him too.
    I can't see how a D300 plate would fit a D600 in any way either .. they're completely different bodies.

Quite possibly a D7000 base bracket may have been a better fitment .. they are afterall similar body designs .. whereas the D300 and D700/800 share a similar body design.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur, when I received the bracket today and fitted it to my camera, I was disappointed that it didn't do what it was supposed to do.

When I saw 'D300' imprinted on it, I thought I'd been mistakenly sent the wrong plate.

However, when I went back to the website I saw that the D600 bracket in the ad was also imprinted 'D300'.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330815296...84.m1497.l2649

Check the top RH photo.

As I said above, the quality of the bracket is fine, it just doesn't do the job it was purported to do.

Cheers

Kevin
    Last edited by Cage; 29-11-2012 at 12:21am.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He does have a direct shop site too(where I purchase from instead).

I had a look at the difference for each model.

It does list the part numbers for each model bracket.
    D300(on of his first L products) is listed as ND300, and so is the D700(to be expected) and as is the D600 bracket.

Kris must seem to think that the D600 has a similar fit to the D300, which it sounds as tho it obviously doesn't!!

But he does also list a D800 specific bracket too(ND800) .. which is weird, as the ND300 fits the D800 quite well. Not perfect, but snug and secure at least.

Hopefully it all gets sorted for ya ASAP.