Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Extension Rings for D600

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extension Rings for D600

I've just acquired a rather nice Sigma 150/2.8 Macro with a MFD of 38cm. At times I'd like to get a little closer, so was looking at some extension rings.

What genuine Nikon rings will and won't work with my D600. I've googled this query and must admit I got confused with the varying answers I found.

I'd like to stick with Nikon branded rings after having a moment with some Chinese knock-offs refusing to dismount from my Pentax K20.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Full manual operation is not a problem
    Last edited by Cage; 25-11-2012 at 11:20am.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kenko auto extension tubes, well regarded, and full electrical conversation with the Nikon body.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andrew.

Even though I do most of my macro in manual mode, it would be nice to have the EXIF data that the auto tubes provide.

Cheers

Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Kenko ext tubes Kevin.....allow auto and all. Your most welcome to try them out....
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Graeme.

I'm waiting on a 'L' bracket from the States for my camera as the generic plate I'm using allows the camera to twist.

Hopefully it will arrive next week and then I'm really keen to get over to the Botanic Gardens at Hetherbrae if your interested. I might give Was a yell and see if we can't get a group day happening.

Cheers

Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`m in on that Kevin.....let us know when and hopefully I can join in.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kevin,

Andrew's answer is most likely going to be the correct one!!
    (How so? ).

If your Sigma 150 Macro is the same one as the versions I'm thinking of .... that is, one of the current models, either with or without OS .. they don't have aperture control rings(to control aperture!)

If this is so, then Kenko is about your only option!

If you want Nikon extension tubes, then you will need to add a relay aperture prong into the tube to get them to work properly(plus a CPU contact block relay system .. I think)

Nikon 'G' lenses(including thirdparty lenses), don't have aperture control rings.
    This means that the lens will be stopped down fully, unless it has mechanical (and electrical ) contact to the camera body.

ie. there is no way to operate the diaphragm at all and the lens is going to be stuck at minimum aperture only.

Kenko!!! apparently they work brilliantly.

However! .. there is one(that I know of) extension tube with the Nikon name on it and that is the E2 of old.
    I don't think Nikon make extension tubes any more anyhow, but an E2 can help, but only in a limited manner.
    It has this plunger device that allows the operator to manually set the lens aperture, but it's not actually meant for that purpose.
    The purpose of this plunger on the E2 is to allow the operator to open the aperture, fully for a moment or two, to assist in focusing.

That was info for the sake of info rather than another option for extension tubes .... have I mentioned the Kenko brand of tubes?
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct Artie, No 'A' setting or OS. It's a 'G' type lens, pre OS.

It seems to be a 'no brainer' to go the Kenko route. Plus as I said above, it will be nice to have full EXIF data when reviewing shots.

It's on my wish list.

Thanks for the reply.

Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi...

I have the Kenko auto set for my Canon and am about to buy another set for my Nikon...

Genuine Canon was much dearer and I couldn't see that the Canon brand manufacturing quality could be worth the extra cost.

I have heard several complaints about the other brands, auto and manual, to suit Nikon and Canon, because they refuse to unlock from the camera body after attachment or they are badly machined...
    Last edited by flashc; 03-12-2012 at 4:18am.
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Kenko rings and a D600

Have not used them together yet, but they worked flawlessly on the D80 and my G lens for that so I do not have any doubts about their ability on the D600.

They are good for showing up how much dust is on the lens (can focus inside the lens)

Mick
    Mick

Nikon D600 & D80, 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 50mm f1.4 Sigma ,18-135 Nikkor, Kenko Extension Tubes, SB-700 and a few little bits and pieces