Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSLR replacement with a lower priced DSLR or Compact

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DSLR replacement with a lower priced DSLR or Compact

Hi All,

I'm new to this site so I hope I've put this in the right thread....

Well, ive just dropped my EOS 300D and have broken the battery door.. .

I was thinking of replacing it shortly but might need to sooner. Or would it be possible to try to find a repalcement door and muddle along a bit longer....

Now I'm really a dork shooter. I had a close friend who worked at Ted's in Adelaide but he passed away a couple of years ago. He helped me with anything with photography. Including how to take a good picture.... So without his help, i'm really only a point and shoot person. But in the back of my mind, i might actually one day open the manual and do something more creative...

So, do I try to replace the 300D with say the 1100D? I'm assuming it'll be an improvement... Or do I look for something more of the compact range... I don't want to sacrifice any picture quality though by going compact...

Price would be an issue unfortunately...

JB have a trade in offer ATM.. Any old camera, working or not..... $100 off any new Canon DSLR.. I could even trade "me olde" EOS 1000F....

As with most "good deals" there will probably be a catch.... Not sure if I can just buy the 1100D body with the trade and perhaps get it for about $300..

But If I decide to move to a compact, I'll still have the lenses from the DSLR, just the standard basic EFS 18-55mm and I'll have a couple of older EF Ultrasonics...
    A 75-300mm and a 35-80mm. They worth anything at all if I try to sell them???

Could I have some suggestions if I go compact... I'd like to have some zoom capabilities.. I think nearly all camera's have some sort of movie function even SLRS?
    The thought of having something more compact, being able to just put it in a pocket, sounds great... Again I don't want to lessen any picture qulaity...

Something like the Canon S110 at over $500, would be beyond my price point ATM. I had thought about a SX260?? Or am I dumbing myself down??

Or is there anything anybody else can suggest?

The trade in offer by JB ends in a day or two so I'll have to be quick if I want to use it........

Hope someone can help me with my dilemma...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless which is the best camera take a look at the cameras that are in your budget and chose the one that you feel happy with.
    As per your comments it looks that you will be learning, and Canon 1100d might be in a good price range for you since it is at the entry level.
    Regards.
    J. Arguello.

Constructive Criticism (CC) is alsways welcome.
    Photography gear: Nikon D7000; Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8; Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6; Tamron A17 70-300mm f/4 - 5.6; Nikkor 50mm f/1.8; Yongnuo 35mm f/2; Neewer 85mm f/1.8; Nikon AW100 ;Canon EOS 300; Tamron 28-105mm; Canon 75-300mm.
    Photo Editing: Nikon Capture NX-D , GIMP ;

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arguelloflores/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was on a trip recently some people missed out on the best shot as the point and shoot was too slow to focus ,,,the dslr even cheaper ones were much quicker depends on what you really want it for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ebay has a lot of battery doors for sale - item 200835560014 @ $16.76USD + postage. A lot cheaper than a new camera.

I would keep the old camera if it were me (I dont get rid of technology though) and keep it as a spare or let the kids learn with it.

Can't help with upgrade path as I am not a Canon user.

Mick
    Mick

Nikon D600 & D80, 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 50mm f1.4 Sigma ,18-135 Nikkor, Kenko Extension Tubes, SB-700 and a few little bits and pieces

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for your replies...

i can trade my old film EOS 1000F and get a body 1100D for $300.

Cn anyone comment on the older ultrasonic lenses? Are they any good with the newer DSLRs?

thanks for the link for the door. I'll check that out.

I understand about technology... I still listen to vinyl records... However I can't resist a sale...
    got only until tomorrow to decide...

thanks

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you make up your mind check out site sponsor EGlobal here the 1100D is only $276.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Keith,

gee thanks for the link... That at least gives me breathing space regarding price....

Don't get me wrong with the next thought. I assume that because they are a sponsor, they are repitual company.... If so I'd consider them rather than a supposedly special deal....I'm always happy to support sponsors when I can....

Mike, regarding a replacement battery door for the 300D. That link wasn't for my model and a quick search hasn't found one....
    Last edited by kensell21; 30-10-2012 at 4:42pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kensell21 View Post
    Cn anyone comment on the older ultrasonic lenses? Are they any good with the newer DSLRs? ...
    I use an ultrasonic and another even older EF lens. Work fine.
    FWIW since you have some lens, it would be a petty not to use them on the best DSLR you can afford. Of cause replacing that battery door may be the cheapest option. Any camera repairers close to you?
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you feel that you'd like to get into it a bit further but are apprehensive about taking the leap, I'd say that the 1100D (or similar) is designed just for you. It can be used in much the same way as a point and shoot, using the lcd and having the camera make all the decisions, so you always have that to fall back on. Then, as you get more adventurous, you can read a bit of the manual and have a play with the various functions. If you keep going down the path, then (almost) anything you buy for the 1100D would work on a higher end body. At no point do you end up with a lemon.
    Try and find a photography night class at a local school. They'll help you get over that barrier of taking the camera off auto.

Steve.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a quick opportunity in my lunch break to visit two camera stores in Adelaide city. Not surprisingly neither of them wanted to sell me a 1100D. Both wanted me to get the 600D. As one said... "The 1100D, that's what K mart and Target sell"..

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Translated that means there's not enough profit in it.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And maybe they sell them for less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might not be always the case, but keep in mind that:
    Seller aims to sell and earn money.
    Buyer should get what he needs/wants and has the final decision.

Any camera will have some nice aspects over the other:
    Price, functionality, etc.

If I were you then I would go for the 1100d and reuse my old lenses. Save difference to buy a tripod, or to enlarge some photos.

But, again, buy something that makes you feel happy and start enjoying with taking photos.
    All the best.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Had a quick opportunity in my lunch break to visit two camera stores in Adelaide city. Not surprisingly neither of them wanted to sell me a 1100D. Both wanted me to get the 600D. As one said... "The 1100D, that's what K mart and Target sell"..
    I wonder if Canon knows that their authorised resellers are calling their entry level cameras 'cheap', with the meaning not related to $$. I would not be going to that salesperson again. If someone wants a 1100D, then that is what you sell them. If they come in not knowing which model they want, fair enough talk about the differences and give them the information they need to decide.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As one said... "The 1100D, that's what K mart and Target sell"..
    Doubt you'll find a body only at any of these types of stores. BigW want $548 (too much) for the 1100D + 18-55.
    Last edited by unistudent1962; 03-11-2012 at 10:05am.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.

ive actually dug deep and found I have a battery grip for the 300D. Took it off years ago. Found it added too much weight for any benefit it gave... So I can use the 300D. It works fine.. I'll still search for a replacement door...

now what I need to think through is what I think I'm going to be capable of doing with it.... Or with a possible purchase of a 1100D.. I've down loaded a full manual for it and will study it over time. I've no doubt that I might get some idea of handling it in manual at some point. My self doubt is my actually ability to pick "that" photo which would justify the effort in going manual... Sorry if that's a bad admission on a site dedicated to the photography... I don't have that knack..... Well not ATM. I'll read through the forums and will possibly put some questions forward... As you all know its not the camera that will end up taken that great shot..
    i need to learn about composing etc... Being a shift worker and having other interests il find it hard to hook up with any local club. So having a forum site to go to will be great...

one thought is I might still make a purchase but for a compact like the Canon S100. Maybe using a site sponser. This can be used by me and the wife as the point and shoot that will take a good picture.... Being small I might carry it more often and then use it more when I may come across a shot. Rather than not bothering taking all the "stuff". Then I can decide whether I'm gong to get the photography "bug".....

Ive taken my 300D overseas numerous times to the UK Africa etc. taking that bag with an extra lens and all the bits.. It'll be nice to work out if I could do with just one lens. Then using "crop" if needed when I put the photos onto the PC.

Ill need to investigate what software to use to edit photos. Just realised that I might have to check that the computer monitor is calibrated correctly... One step at a time I suppose....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you are still thinking about it and deciding if you want to go the DSLR or the P&S way instead why not have a look at the New to Photography part of the forum - some inspiring and educational stuff there that may help you as your friend did and also help with your decision. Anyway nothing lost by having a look - you may be more advanced than you think!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ill need to investigate what software to use to edit photos. ....
    Do you still have the CDs that came with your camera? If so, you have some basic editing tools available to learn with.
    To reduce my typing, check this thread ..... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-advice-please

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were given the option of a P&S and a DSLR I would choose the DSLR every time. I have purchased three P&S cameras over the last couple of years so I could have one handy for for good photos of grandchildren etc, but I am never happy with the results. The still photos are fine but any action photos are blurry 9 our of 10 photos. Re a DSLR, it depends how much photography and how passionate you are about photography. I see that you have been to the UK and Africa so you are well travelled. We have recently come back from a trip the South Africa where we visited Kruger and Pilanesberg and I took my Canon 50D, Canon 100-400 lens and a Canon 18-200 lens and I know I would never have been happy with a P&S. If you can still use the 300D as you say, I would save for another DSLR and I know from experience, that there is a big difference in quality from the lower end Canon to the upper range. I decided to go mid range with the 50D but after it decided to stop taking photos the day before we left South Africa (thank goodness it was not during the trip), I have now purchased a 7D. I have put my 50D into Canon today for servicing and depending on repair costs, I will keep it as a second camera especially if we travel to Africa again. I found that sometimes the 100-400 zoom was not appropriate, as the animals were too close and it would have been great to have another camera with my 18-200 ready for such occasions. You can also pick up good quality cameras new and used on Fleabay (not sure if you can advertise the real name LOL). I have bought a lot of my equipment on there without any trouble at almost half the price. I hope I am not sounding too pushy as I have trouble explaining what I mean in the right words. You can see some of my photos on Flickr if you wish.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8364607...7630565377456/
    Last edited by crafty1tutu; 09-11-2012 at 4:02pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is that now you have the 300 up and running. have a good play play for a while, and save a few $$$ up while your doing it. Throw it in Aperture mode (AV I think on canon) play with the ISO and the aperture. Then play with the shutter speed mode. It's digital, it wont cost you anything... Once you get the hang on them you might decide that the 1100D ain't going to cut it. And by then you may have a bit more in the kitty and be able to afford the 600D.

Put a few images up for constructive critique, and ask questions of other members. It wont be long and your confidence with be back in full swing. We like it when we are asked for advice. We are not like the salesmen, we are not in it for the money. We are here to learn, and to help others learn.
    Last edited by geoffsta; 09-11-2012 at 5:30pm.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast