User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Smart phones killing compacts...interesting article

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smart phones killing compacts...interesting article

Thought this was interesting reading. Personally, i have an iPhone 4s. I use it for random pics of the kids or whacky signs etc. but it hasn't replaced my camera as my primary source for image capture. I nearly always have either my G1X or 650D with me.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...122-29r6l.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - I too have an iPhone 4s and I use it quite often to take images - it is 8mp. My compact is an 8mp as well, but the clarity and image quality of the compact far outshines the iPhone. Saying that, I don't use the compact much anymore. It's either the iPhone or the 60D! My kids use my compact more than me now.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The writing has been on the wall for quite a while.

The good outcome for the enthusiast is that manufacturers are going to be forced to offer more features with their entry level DSLR's to widen the gap between them and the smart-phones.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was my initial thought too Kevin. I have noticed that ALOT of people here in Bangkok have DSLRs. Most use them as a P&S which supports your theory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a dslr 12 mnths ago because I was no longer happy with my P&S & my iPhone is very limited unless you are in something/one's face. I think it will be a while before the P&S disappears & there maybe an almost disposable one for holidays etc (give aways by travel agents?)
    gb From GB
    C&C is more than welcome, it's encouraged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing mostly landsape type stuff, a Camera (even the sammy galaxy s3) phone just doesn't have the required dynamic range avaiable to it.

Which sucks ass, because I commute on a motorbike, and the only camera I have avaiable when riding off into the sunset is the phone! Dammit!!!
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to go along with this. My compact got squeezed out between the SLR and the phone around 4 years ago.

It's not that compact cameras aren't still a little better than phones, but your phone you have with you everywhere, and for casual snaps it's good enough.

If you're serious you still usually need something better than a compact.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in the middle of the ~50 year transition from the industrial age to the information age.
    The rate of change in the underlying technology is accelerating for now.

For camera's that is totally happening. Will EVIL cameras take over from DSLRs?
    Compacts merging with phones and personal organisers and network devices makes complete sense.

However, Physics comes into play ... i.e. the bigger the bit of glass on the front the more photons are captured.
    So for happy snaps and most simple photo applications the smart phone camera will be sufficient.
    For other applications (sports, wildlife, low light etc.) big glass will rule.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff