User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Speedlite 600 EX-RT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speedlite 600 EX-RT

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie and still learning which way's up, so please forgive any goofs. I have a 550D and want to buy a Speedlite to use with it. Has anyone used the Speedlite 600 EX-RT? If so, I'd love to hear your comments about - pro and con.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 600 EX-RT is the current top of the range 'Pro' Canon speedlite. The only 'cons' would be cost, size/weight and complexity otherwise it will do everything you could want and more. You call yourself a 'newb' so the 600 EX may be a bit of overkill for you at this stage, also your 550D will not take full advantage of all the features of this speedlite. If you haven't used a speedlite before you shouldn't underestimate the size & weight of this unit. I believe a 430 EXII would be more suitable, it would be much better balanced (physically & technically) with the 550D and about half the cost. If you progress with photography the 430 could become an excellent 2nd/slave for off-camera flash etc.

Cheers
    John

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John, that's very helpful. I had wondered about the merits of the430 EXII but all the reviews raved about the 600 EX-RT. I haven't used a Speedlite before and appreciate the advice. Sounds like Plan B is the way to go. Just to clarify, I'm new to the AP forum, but have been into photography for some time. Definitely not 'advanced' though, more like 'intermediate' - lots to learn. This forum seems to be a great place to share and learn heaps of good stuff.

Cheers
    Marnie

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree about the 430EX11 I have 430EX and its works great on my 40D.
    You should also have a look at the Yongnuo flashes half the price of Canon and less, Members here use them.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads-up Mary Anne, I don't know the Yongnuo flashes at all but will check it out. Thanks too for the reinforcement of John's view of Speedlite 430 EXII, much appreciated.