User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  25
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Purchased a Grey Market camera recently? Is it GENUINE?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have recommended my usual online supplier to others.

I had a member of my photo club ask me why the Canon 24-105L F4.0 lens ordered was supplied in a white box and not the Canon original L series box. I rang the supplier and asked them why a single lens order would be supplied in a plain white box. I was told that sometimes the lens provided could have been part of a new camera kit with lenses that have been split into separate components and sold individually. Forgot to ask if this applies to "kit ""L" series lenses too as the 24-105L is sometimes offered as a kit with 5D or 6D. It was said that even if supplied in a white box, the lens is guaranteed new and covered by the grey importer's own 12 month warranty.

The supplier I rang also said they had had not heard of the situation where camera serial numbers didn't match, so I enlightened them...

Has anyone ever bought a Canon DSLR with 24-105L lens combination kit deal and the lens has been in a plain white box or was it supplied in the Canon retail box...
    Last edited by flashc; 23-12-2012 at 7:47pm. Reason: spell add
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flashc View Post
    I have recommended my usual online supplier to others.

I had a member of my photo club ask me why the Canon 24-105L F4.0 lens ordered was supplied in a white box and not the Canon original L series box. I rang the supplier and asked them why a single lens order would be supplied in a plain white box. I was told that sometimes the lens provided could have been part of a new camera kit with lenses that have been split into separate components and sold individually. Forgot to ask if this applies to "kit ""L" series lenses too as the 24-105L is sometimes offered as a kit with 5D or 6D. It was said that even if supplied in a white box, the lens is guaranteed new and covered by the grey importer's own 12 month warranty.

The supplier I rang also said they had had not heard of the situation where camera serial numbers didn't match, so I enlightened them...

Has anyone ever bought a Canon DSLR with 24-105L lens combination kit deal and the lens has been in a plain white box or was it supplied in the Canon retail box...
    Different topic as this is not about altering serial numbers, but being supplied a lens in a white box is not new and it is how they often come when part of a 'kit' offer from the manufacturer. However, stores often split these kits up and thus sell the lens separately.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Received my replacement 5D iii body yesterday. It has matching numbers. Took a while, but the supplier looked after me. Happy boy now.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleprod View Post
    Received my replacement 5D iii body yesterday. It has matching numbers. Took a while, but the supplier looked after me. Happy boy now.
    Good to hear.
    When the dealer has a business address in Australia as in your case it makes them much much more open to further action from the Australian "authorities" when things aren't going the consumers way.
    Thanks for following up your original posts posts.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I'll name the supplier... I've now made quite a few purchases from them, including 2 Canon bodies, and I'm quite happy with the service and pricing. The serial number issue is the only problem I've had, and it wasn't caused by them anyway.
    It's topbuy.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading this thread I thought I check my Nikon D7000 as I brought it from a .com.au site on a recommendation from a friend.. My D7000 has a pen written serial on the box at the time i thought it was odd, and after looking at the EXIF data the serial number on the bottom of the camera does not match the EXIF data, I Purchased my camera back in March this year, Ive emailed the supplier as the stock was claimed to be from Nikon Australia if this is not the case Im going to have some serious issues if I require a repair in the future.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We now have two distinct issues...

1. Canon HK re-numbering SNs (the retailers are not at fault)

2. Something happening with Nikon grey stock SNs - causes unknown!!

Please keep these issues separate!
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eichkay View Post
    After reading this thread I thought I check my Nikon D7000 as I brought it from a .com.au site on a recommendation from a friend.. My D7000 has a pen written serial on the box at the time i thought it was odd, and after looking at the EXIF data the serial number on the bottom of the camera does not match the EXIF data, I Purchased my camera back in March this year, Ive emailed the supplier as the stock was claimed to be from Nikon Australia if this is not the case Im going to have some serious issues if I require a repair in the future.
    You need to go back to the company you purchased from and take it up with them directly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    You need to go back to the company you purchased from and take it up with them directly.
    Ive emailed them with my concerns this re-tagging of serial numbers is a real worry as you just dont know if the units were stollen or legit and just dodging there international selling arrangements.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleprod View Post
    Great result in the end. Pity it did take a while though and a bit of "prompting" from you.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    We have been talking about that in the mods area for a few days

Does pre-used by Kai increase your camera's value?

In some shops, staff members 'borrow' cameras overnight/weekends for evaluation reasons.

Also: http://www.petapixel.com/2013/01/17/...iii-from-dell/ floor tiles instead of a 5Diii
    Last edited by Kym; 12-02-2013 at 3:33pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    We have been talking about that in the mods area for a few days

Does pre-used by Kai increase your camera's value?

In some shops, staff members 'borrow' cameras overnight/weekends for evaluation reasons.

Also: http://www.petapixel.com/2013/01/17/...iii-from-dell/ floor tiles instead of a 5Diii
    The laminate flooring one took up 70pages on the POTN web site.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...highlight=Dell

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The laminate flooring one could actually be a rip-off of Dell.

From what I understand, Someone apparently ordered a heap of cameras from Dell. Then asked if they could return some. Dell obliged and took the excess stock back, restocking their warehouse. These excess returned stock were then subsequently shipped to new customers. It was then discovered that the original customer had taken the cameras out, put the laminate in and sent them back to Dell. Dell never opened the stock as it came back to check it, rather they just restocked their shelves with the returned items

Sadly, the result is what we have seen above.

I bet Dell implement a system to open and check every returned stock item from now on.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234