Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  36
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pets can kill too.. Not just dangerous breeds

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    every dog has the potential to be a threat... its what they do. even small dogs can be dangerous! you could choke on them!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pet ownership is a big deal, no matter what the pet. I am sorry for your loss also and agree we need stricter rules regarding pet ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    every dog has the potential to be a threat....
    so can cats be. Look at all the native wildlife that is constantly under threat from domestic cats. Feral cats would not exist if pet owners took their responsibility seriously. I have lost count of the number of cats I have shot, growing up on a farm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The local Rangers called today and told me they have one of the dogs in "custody" and 2 still on the loose!! Sounds like the one they have is the dog that killed Cleo.. They picked it up near my home this morning!! I do not understand why pet ownership is treated so lightly here, when we have had so many tragic incidents in the past? I do not know where to go with this issue, but I feel as if I cannot stop until some positive changes have been made! Any suggestions on how I can get this the attention it needs will be truly appreciated..

We are the most destructive creatures on this planet.. Dangerous & feral animals are just a by-product of our ongoing stupidity.
    D5000 Nikkor AF-S 28-300mm VR, Tamron 70-300mm, Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm VR, Marumi/Hoya Filters
    "There are times when words fall out of my mouth at the very same time they entered my head.. Apologies in advance for those times"
    "I don't get mad, I get better"

Sheree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry for your loss and the obvious heartache it brings to you.
    Always devastating to lose a friend, X10 when it is senseless and avoidable.
    Glad you have some photos to cherish of your pet family including Cleo.
    Last edited by la lumiere; 22-11-2012 at 9:17pm.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroharm View Post
    The local Rangers called today and told me they have one of the dogs in "custody" and 2 still on the loose!! Sounds like the one they have is the dog that killed Cleo.. They picked it up near my home this morning!! I do not understand why pet ownership is treated so lightly here, when we have had so many tragic incidents in the past? I do not know where to go with this issue, but I feel as if I cannot stop until some positive changes have been made! Any suggestions on how I can get this the attention it needs will be truly appreciated..

We are the most destructive creatures on this planet.. Dangerous & feral animals are just a by-product of our ongoing stupidity.

Hard one to answer.

We have to remember that dogs are domesticated wild animals, and that wildness is always inherent. Training and control will keep that natural aggression in check, but that all goes out the window when irresponsible people allow their animals to roam free, particularly in company, when 'the pack' mentality comes into play.

It's not the dog's fault that it was being a 'dog', the fault lies with the dipstick owner who failed to keep it under control.

I think you should follow this up with the ranger, and make sure the owner is castigated to the maximum extent of the law. The dogs have now killed, and may in some way have reverted to the wild mode.

Unfortunately the sad by product of this action will be the probable demise of the dogs, but a community can't allow dogs that have killed to roam around. A child may be next.

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroharm View Post
    .... I do not understand why pet ownership is treated so lightly here, when we have had so many tragic incidents in the past? I do not know where to go with this issue, but I feel as if I cannot stop until some positive changes have been made!......
    Unfortunately, I suspect you will never stop then! Jeez, some people don't seem to be able to grasp the importance of being a good parent, let along worrying about their pets.
    We don't have dogs or cats, and a lot of that has to do with the responsibility that you have with them. Have a few birds, we love them and they love us (one thinks I'm it's mate!).
    Anyway, all the best Sheree.
    Last edited by Mark L; 22-11-2012 at 9:57pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear about you puppy.

You are so right about "dangerous" breeds. ALL dogs, from the smallest to the largest, have the potential to cause damage. It's purely genetics. I have a field spaniel, who has retired to my parents house while we are living OS, and she is the sweetest dog ever. But I would never leave my small children unsupervised with her. Ditto for letting her roam free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never leave my small children unsupervised with her
    I trust my Staffy implicitly. Without hesitation, I'd let her babysit for me.

4 years ago, I would have though twice about it, but now, no heistation. (She's 6 now)
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    I trust my Staffy implicitly. Without hesitation, I'd let her babysit for me.

4 years ago, I would have though twice about it, but now, no heistation. (She's 6 now)
    My Ridgeback has been taught to lay down as soon as my niece comes up to him (she is 3) He knows she is the boss.. He sleeps by her bed, lays at her feet when she goes to the toilet and suffers the indignity of bright pink scarves around his neck and back and lovely hair ties up his tail.. I ensure he does not forget who's boss when she is here and take him for a very long walk before they can play.. It isn't hard to do, and the rewards are incredible

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and very kind words.. Apparently all dogs have been caught now, and funnily enough the owners have not contacted the pound for their animals!! They will be destroyed at the end of next week (I believe).. I did not have any say in that matter, they can not be rehomed because of aggression..

As a side note to Gregs' post above... It is not my dog I do not trust, but children can unknowingly be cruel, and a dogs first warning to the child is to growl.. Which in most cases results in destruction of the dog!! If people understood a dogs body language they can go a long way to preventing attacks..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to read about your dogs zeroharm. I can understand your anguish. Love dogs and have a fondness for Blues myself. Want to get another one but won't untill i get a place with a fence and plenty of room for him to run around in.

There is a saying Guns don't kill people, people do.
    It is so appropriate when related to dogs. Dogs aren't born agressive, they are raised that way.

Dogs shouldn't be registered, people should be registered to have them.

A dog will always be a mans best friend if you treat them right. Plenty of attention and participation.

Again condolences.

Kevin
    EOS 600D Body. Canon Lenses EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm, EF-S 50mm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12