Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: 'That' Obama photo...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'That' Obama photo...

Hi all,

One of the most popular and widely shared images of the recent election in the USA was that of Michelle Obama giving her husband a hug.

I came across this article on Slate today that that gives a bit of background to the image, and the photographer as well.

What struck me about the story behind the photo was that the photo itself wasn't taken after the result of the election had been determined, but it was actually taken three months prior while Obama was on the campaign trail!

I can't recall the words that went with the photo when it was released to the public, but the implication was that this was a congratulatory hug to a president that had just realised that he was in for another four years.

I'm not criticising the image by any means, but to find out that this was an old image taken out of its original context and placed within a new (and perhaps just as relevant) context, actually took some of the gloss off the 'moment' for me. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's fraudulent, but as a piece of journalism it is definitely misrepresenting the events on the day of his re-election.

Perhaps you could argue that it isn't journalism at all, that it's just an image that suited the moment? But in 50 years time I would bet my bottom dollar that that image will be remembered as being Obama's victory hug.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/20...n_snapped.html

Thoughts?

Andrew.
    https://forkandfoot.com

Nikon D7000
    Sigma 10-20mm ~ Nikon 18-55mm ~ Nikon 55-200mm ~ Manfrotto 190XProB ~ Manfrotto 488RC2
    ~ LowePro Top Load Zoom 1

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur 100%.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto !
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Journalistic integrity? What's that?

No different to the gossip mags getting a photo and then doing some creative writing to build a story around the photo. I recall the girls at work talking about some star recently who had been photographed cuddling and hugging some guy who was not her husband, and how she had been caught cheating. Turned out the guy in the photos was her brother.

Whilst I am a bit against the idea of having a media regulatory body which has been suggested in Australia, thus limiting the 'freedom of the press', the media needs to lift it's game cause things like the Obama photo are exactly why people are saying the media need a powerful authority watching over them. I had not seen this photo of the Obama's till now, shows how much notice I took of American politics..hehe
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography