Hi all,

One of the most popular and widely shared images of the recent election in the USA was that of Michelle Obama giving her husband a hug.

I came across this article on Slate today that that gives a bit of background to the image, and the photographer as well.

What struck me about the story behind the photo was that the photo itself wasn't taken after the result of the election had been determined, but it was actually taken three months prior while Obama was on the campaign trail!

I can't recall the words that went with the photo when it was released to the public, but the implication was that this was a congratulatory hug to a president that had just realised that he was in for another four years.

I'm not criticising the image by any means, but to find out that this was an old image taken out of its original context and placed within a new (and perhaps just as relevant) context, actually took some of the gloss off the 'moment' for me. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's fraudulent, but as a piece of journalism it is definitely misrepresenting the events on the day of his re-election.

Perhaps you could argue that it isn't journalism at all, that it's just an image that suited the moment? But in 50 years time I would bet my bottom dollar that that image will be remembered as being Obama's victory hug.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/20...n_snapped.html

Thoughts?

Andrew.