User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Any G1X users here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any G1X users here?

So I've browsed reviews, checked out flickr photos, and seen neat stuff on adding the 250d and/or 500d close-up filters to do close up / macro photography, with the G1X. It sounds quite interesting to me. Are there any G1X users on here, and if so, do they have any thoughts on the camera, the quality of its photos, etc? I'm quite intrigued by the idea of such a big sensor in a format smaller and lighter than a full-on lens-changing DSLR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Within its focal range, my G1 X is great. I've played with the close-up filter, 500D, but it only lets you get close enough for a big flower. Forget about bugs. The G1 X is no good for macro, period. It looks like a point and shoot (which it is) so people aren't intimidated. The noise is definitely more like a DSLR than a typical P&S, but it's software is typical for a Canon P&S. A major annoyance for me is that in M mode, you don't get ETTL with external speedlites, unlike with DSLRs. There is no reason for this than product differentiation capriciousness. I don't at all regret the purchase, but be aware of the limitations.
    Gear monkey and proud. Brisbane.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I was thinking it would be more like a mini DSLR that didn't require interchangeable lenses, if I got the filter for it as well. I guess I'll do a bit more research on some of the other options around. Was hoping to avoid interchangeable lenses, but still have good image quality and manual controls. If only they had given it a macro capable zoom lens with that big sensor...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strictfunctor View Post
    A major annoyance for me is that in M mode, you don't get ETTL with external speedlites, unlike with DSLRs.
    That's the main reason I sold my G12 along with the 270EXII. Was hoping they'd change it with the G1x cos manual ambient exposure and ttl flash is usually how I shoot with flash on-camera but unfortunately it seems they haven't made that change.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I spoke too soon about going for something else. After doing some more image comparing around the net with G1X's rivals, I keep coming back to how I really like the visual look of the G1X photos I'm finding around the net. I also came on some more photos using the 250d 'close up' filter, and while it doesn't beat the zoom on a dedicated DSLR macro lens, it does an okay job for a smaller camera.
    Another guy was saying you can actually attach a 250d filter, and then also attach a 500d onto the end of that as well, for even more macro'd zooming. I think since as far as small objects go, most of the things I'm photographing are at least 25mm tall, so using a filter should be plenty of extra zoom for that sort of thing, and the rest of my photos are landscapes / seascapes, so I think I will go with the G1X for the next camera after all.

[edit] (removed the links to some of the G1X HDR and macro photos other people have taken. Sorry! I forgot the forum rule, not to post to other photo sites)
    Last edited by tsmpaul; 20-11-2012 at 7:43pm. Reason: (Sorry! I forgot the forum rule, not to post to other photo sites)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a G1-X and find it to give excellent results.
    Very close to my 5D3, especially when using RAW.
    The lens is really very good indeed and the Digic 5 processor handles high ISO's very well with little noise at high ISO's.
    The video is also very good, and I have used it professionally for some video work with excellent results.

While it won't reproduce a small bug at 100%, you can still get pretty close to flowers etc and get good results.
    The focussing could be faster, and it certainly isn't as fast as a DSLR, but it's not yawningly slow, but does take about half a second to focus in good light.

I doubt that as far as IQ is concerned, that you could find a small camera that takes better quality photos.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.