User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: A Master's Vision - new Ansel Adams show in UK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Master's Vision - new Ansel Adams show in UK

The National Maritime Museum at Greenwich in London has put together a show of more than 100 of Adams' pictures and the Beeb has made a slideshow about it here. It's narrated by the curator, who offers some observations and analysis.

The images in the slideshow are largely concerned with water and I found it interesting that there is almost none of the long exposure misty look that is so common now, even though it would have been hard to freeze the water with the slow films and small apertures he used. Of the two blurry water pictures shown, one is quite atypical and exceptionally beautiful.

The curator talks about the humility of the work, which is not commonly said about Adams' pictures, but is true I think. They're bold and strong - he was a great darkroom manipulator and liked his prints to be punchy - but they don't demand your attention like a spoiled child. I think the guy was completely in love with the country he inhabited and very much wanted to share that.

The slideshow is well worth 5 minutes - or more - of your time if you have any sort of interest in the landscape or want a glimpse of a time when photographers exposed less frames in a day than most cameras will now do in a second.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting presentation of a photographer ahead of his time.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting - some images there I haven't seen before. Always interesting to hear what 'experts' think although I think sometimes they read too much into the 'masters' works (in all genres, not just photography). Thanks for the link.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A horizon is crooked.
    Constructive critique of my photos is welcome and appreciated.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Very interesting - some images there I haven't seen before. Always interesting to hear what 'experts' think although I think sometimes they read too much into the 'masters' works (in all genres, not just photography). Thanks for the link.
    Glad you enjoyed it. There were a few images that were new to me also. Did you think the curator was reading too much into the work here?

Quote Originally Posted by Ionica View Post
    A horizon is crooked.
    Haha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're ever planning a trip to Canberra, with some notice (not sure how much) you can ask the National Gallery of Australia to arrange a viewing of their Ansel Adams' museum set, one of only a small number of complete sets in the world. Our camera club was lucky enough to have a viewing where one of our members (who in a previous life as a National Gallery curator purchased the collection) explained where each image fitted into his body of work. Various images from the collection are on display in the gallery from time to time, but apparently there is a limit on the number of hours per decade that each image can be hung.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the link. Two weeks notice is required
    http://www.nga.gov.au/Research/CSR/index.html