Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Online retails - who is Ok to deal with

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Online retails - who is Ok to deal with

Hi all,

I am seeking guidance from your wealth of knowledge. I have been looking around for a new camera system (specifically I am investigating moving from my Pentax K20d & lens to a Nikon d800E). As it is a relatively new body prices in bricks and mortar shops tend to be close to RRP (especially after some of the glowing reviews). When I look online there are some vendors who seem to be marketing the body alone at $800 below rrp with equivalent 'discounts' for lens and other accessories.

My questions are
    1: which vendors are the real deal and trustworthy
    2: which ones should be avoided
    3: How 'grey' are the kit they sell
    4: how valid are the 'australian warranties' offered for additional money?

I am aware of the adage 'if it seems way to good, it is probably dodgy'.

My gut says buy from a shop where I can 'test' the kit. My wallet (and wife) says look at all options first.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are a few site sponsors that are good to deal with. I lucked upon a good special from B&H.
    Now if some thing needed fixing under warranty, they would send me a free postage parcel, then they would get it fixed in U.S.A.. Having to buy online (due to lack of local service and price) I found that some of the better priced online Aussie sellers required me to pay for return postage if a warranty issue happened!!
    FWIW, don't worry to much about the "4: how valid are the 'australian warranties' offered for additional money?" They are valid, but a money maker for the retailer and insurer. The camera will have a 12 month manufactures warranty, and that should be enough time for something to show up.
    2c worth.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just done a similar exercise moving from a K5 to a D600.

As the D600 has only been out a short time I ruled out the 'grey brigade' for peace of mind with a local Nikon warranty should I need it.

I found ryda.com the cheapest by a comfortable margin, although I seem to remember a thread where someone bettered it at a JB Hifi store.

There have been some issues with the D800, reported on this forum and elsewhere, so where you buy, and ease of access to warranty service, would be a consideration.

I've since bought two lens from Cameras Direct who told me that even though they are not an authorised Nikon dealer, they send any warranty work to Nikon at their expense.

I've also bought a lens from one of our site supporters, eglobal, and it was a quick and easy transaction.

Decisions, decisions huh?
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are going to buy grey, stick with the ones that have been around a while and have built up a reputation for good service. However, when I got my D800 I found the price difference to buying locally was not that much in the scheme of things, so did so. There are a myriad of online stores out there, so the best way would be that once you find a few that you might want to deal with, ask about those ones specifically.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a better deal at JB than what Kevin did. While it was more than grey, it was local and through an authorised re-seller so I get the extra years warranty.

Go haggle and dont be afraid to go in with a low number. Do your research first though. Ryda have it at $3600 so try $3K with the expectation of $3200. Tell them that you need lenses as well and get them thinking about future sales.

I was turned away at harveys as they could not go anywhere near the price the Ryda had.

Stick to local for the big ticket items. eGlobal are very good and get the stuff here quickly. You wont be disapointed by them at all, but you wont have local warranty (Nikon Aus).

Mick
    Mick

Nikon D600 & D80, 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 50mm f1.4 Sigma ,18-135 Nikkor, Kenko Extension Tubes, SB-700 and a few little bits and pieces

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. Your input is invaluable.

The online company I had seen was techrific. They are quoting $3089 for a body which is $720 better than the bricks & mortar I had seen.

Given Micks feedback I think I will be heading to JB in the morning to see what they can deal up.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can recommend TopBuy (Topbuy.com.au). They are an Aussie based company but supply their stock from Hong Kong. Their prices are very competitive and delivery quick. I know a few other people who have used them too, and all are very happy.
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro