User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: VPN Modems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VPN Modems

I am looking at setting up my sister with an internet connection but she may need VPN access does the modem I purchase need to have VPN support or,
    (A) can you get a standard modem and use the windows VPN connection set up
    (B) Is it better to use a VPN modem
    (C) Could the organizations set up require specific Equipment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Champion,

As I see it there are references to VPN modems on the internet and if you want to set up a VPN termination point to your home these modems may be useful however if all you want to do is to connect to an ISP via DSL to get internet and then connect to an organisation such as a University or business they will generally have set up a VPN client you can simply download and then establish a secure VPN connection to that environment. That is you don't need a VPN router / Modem to achieve this. If you are trying to set up a connection from the internet to your servers at home you could look at a VPN router / Modem or simply a normal one in so much as the average netgear or belkin support port forwarding so as long as you can connect to an advertised IP address (in DNS) you can forward that connection to a server of your choice. For an average internet connection an average netgar, linksys, belkin wireless modem router will do. If there is no need for wireless then a $40.00 wired adsl modem will do.

Kind Regards
    Livio

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your input. Discussions with the IT guy at work was of the opinion that a VPN spesific modem wasn't necessary but had not had much to do with them and wasn't a 100% sure but thought you were able to use the Windows Netwok setup and create a tunnel using that system . I think I did have a connection to work @ one stage using a DSL- 302G modem which I don't think was VPN and worked fine and I may just buy a Billion 700n And go from there. But will see if there is ant more info forth coming.

Regards

Milton
    Last edited by ROA44; 08-11-2012 at 9:54pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livio View Post
    Hi Champion,

As I see it there are references to VPN modems on the internet and if you want to set up a VPN termination point to your home these modems may be useful however if all you want to do is to connect to an ISP via DSL to get internet and then connect to an organisation such as a University or business they will generally have set up a VPN client you can simply download and then establish a secure VPN connection to that environment. That is you don't need a VPN router / Modem to achieve this. If you are trying to set up a connection from the internet to your servers at home you could look at a VPN router / Modem or simply a normal one in so much as the average netgear or belkin support port forwarding so as long as you can connect to an advertised IP address (in DNS) you can forward that connection to a server of your choice. For an average internet connection an average netgar, linksys, belkin wireless modem router will do. If there is no need for wireless then a $40.00 wired adsl modem will do.

Kind Regards
    Livio
    As Livio said a client login works well

Kevin
    EOS 600D Body. Canon Lenses EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm, EF-S 50mm

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    than you guys will look at that. looks like the cheepest way to go.

Milton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need a specific modem type to use a VPN. A VPN is simply configured software that works with the right set up and credentials. Don't get sold on buying anything that is a "VPN Modem".

Your main concern should be what ISP your sister is going to use because they might only support specific modems. Check with the ISP.
    "I really need to spend more time experimenting with photography."
    Canon EOS 1000D with lens kit | EFS 18-55mm | EF 75-300mm |

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks crazy I need to do that anyway