User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Used film cameras in Sydney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used film cameras in Sydney

ok, lets try again since I'd allowed to ask members where they get their equipment from, but can't name names.

Comments all on places in Sydney to buy used film cameras, specifically rangefinders. Hopefully someone replies on the specific place I'm asking about.

How would you rate their
    a - quality
    b - value for money
    c - service

I know about all the overseas sites however interested what I can see + feel in SYD

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will hazard a guess that outside of private equipment sales, the number of retail businesses in Sydney dealing in antique stuff can be counted on one hand.
    Maybe head down to your local newsagency and grab a copy of the "Photographic Trader" magazine which is published bi monthly or quarterly ( can't remember which ) as that has many ads for vintage technology gear.

There is of course site sponsor Camera Market who might have listings of gear near you to examine pre purchase.
    Last edited by I @ M; 11-11-2012 at 9:20am.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mainline and Fotoriesel comes to mind.
    B is hard to rate cos its based on each item. A lot of used items are on sale by consignment so the original owner sets the price (range) and the shop takes a cut.
    From my limited experience, I have only good things to say about the people at Mainline.
    At Fotoriesel it may depend on who you get. It's a bigger store and some salesmen have been more helpful than others.
    There's also ECS but don't think their second hand range are as big, but I could be wrong. Haven't checked in a while.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photographic Trader magazine's very last issue is on newstands now.
    They have decided to shut up shop unfortunately.

There is also a shop in Elizabeth St Sydney, between Liverpool and Park Sts that sell lots of old cameras, but mainly SLR's.
    Soory, I can't remember their name, but I've beeneyeing off an old Exacta they have in stock, as this was my first SLR so many years ago.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    Photographic Trader magazine's very last issue is on newstands now.
    They have decided to shut up shop unfortunately.

There is also a shop in Elizabeth St Sydney, between Liverpool and Park Sts that sell lots of old cameras, but mainly SLR's.
    Soory, I can't remember their name, but I've beeneyeing off an old Exacta they have in stock, as this was my first SLR so many years ago.
    Don't woory, Benny. It's Whilton's, - between Bathurst and Liverpool, in fact - and I was going to mention it. Now I'll play...

After you've been to Whilton's, and if you have - unbelievably! - not bought a camera there, go back north to Bathurst St. left into int, and right into Castlereagh.
    Cross the road to the western side and go north some way until you see a sign for camera repairs up on the 1st floor....

-A quick Google later...

This one is
    Camera Service Centre
    1st/203 Castlereagh Street, Sydney NSW 2000
    (02) 9264 7091 ‎ · cameraservicecentre.com.au

Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyone's feedback, some places I know (including the one where I spotted the piece I'm interested in), some which are new, very helpful...now, just have to convince the wife to let me shell out $ on a piece of obsolete technology, film camera.