User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Buyers help: 5d mk ii (USED) + eventual lens upgrades OR 5d mk iii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buyers help: 5d mk ii (USED) + eventual lens upgrades OR 5d mk iii

Hey all just want to your thoughts on the state of the land right now.

my setup is currently a

Body
    40D
    Also currently out with fiancee and brother my: 30D & 350D

EF-S Lenses
    Canon 10 - 22
    Sigma 30 1.4 (can be mounted full frame with vignetting)

EF Lenses
    50 1.4
    135L
    Sigma 24 - 70 f/2.8

Looking at the market at used bodies (haven't bought a new body since the 350D) and the 5D mk II's seem like they are going for a steal (relatively speaking).
    The lure of going full frame and getting that extra ISO oomph is getting stronger.

So what are your thoughts.

5D mk ii + a nice new lens - potentially a wide zoom to replace the 10 - 22

or

5d mk iii [no new lens as the fiancee would hurt me if i spent all that in one hit]

or

WAIT and get a 6D

Strange feeling I could get the first option below the cost of the second quite substantially.

What I shoot? Bit of everything, dabble in portraits, events, some sports. Be no means a pro - but i'd put myself in the advanced amateur category.

Love to get everyone's two cents on this .
    Last edited by tannyboy; 07-11-2012 at 11:57am.
    My Current Kit
    Canon 40D + Grip | Canon 10-22 | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 135mm f/2L | 430EX speedlite | Bibble Pro | Building my stable of primes...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    we have not seen any photos from you since 2009. So HOW do you think an upgrade is going to improve your photography? No use spending money unless you know what the benefits of doing so will be.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    we have not seen any photos from you since 2009. So HOW do you think an upgrade is going to improve your photography? No use spending money unless you know what the benefits of doing so will be.
    Yes its true, i've been fairly quiet on the forum posting front due to various factors and am aware that an upgrade doesn't instantaneously going to improve my photography. I just wanted to see what the Ausphotography collective had to say about the upgrade path.

I've been busy in the background and desire to get a rig with a bit more ISO.
    Realised this after a shoot for Inside Sport at the AFL (it's a bit dark in the commentary boxes) & at a few concert gigs. see - https://www.facebook.com/ChrisTanPhotography

I was looking originally at a used 1D mk iii to get the 10fps when i was working at the NBL to up the captures my sport shoots, but I seldom shoot fast action now (except for my nephew and pets), but have been asked to shoot a few local sport things by colleagues and friends. I've also used for a day the 1d mk ii and they are solid!!

Also when I was travelling I was close to getting a 5D mk ii in Hong Kong, but settled for a 30 1.4 as it was at the end of my trip and funds were drying up. After using a friends 5d mk ii, Just felt that the pixels and the DR on the full frames just gave me more than the APS-C cameras.

Hope this justifies my reasoning.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, your bodies are getting a bit older now and the newer tech would give you some scope. I reckon a 5D III or a 6D. As you have been shooting for Inside Sport etc, you should be able to justify the cost against future income predictons from your work.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick,

I may wait to see what the 6d will bring, but the 5D mk ii used deals are very tempting as of late hahah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 6D is sounding very appealing and sounds like it is in the right price bracket. Second hand gear could be good but generally there are no guarantees and thus should be priced accordingly. I think the 5D mark II's are getting pushed out the door at close to cost - an easy get at $1,500 or so. So in that case a used one should be much less than that. Just a note regarding posting - I must admit I have not been a prolific "poster" either - largely because I do children and private parties. Trying to describe that you are posting on a legitimate site with exceptionally high standards and security often still gets a "rather not" thanks. Anyway if you can make us all happy and post something! I have tried to take a portraint of the dog and the cat but I can't pan the cameral fast enough!
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 6D officially went off my list as its max shutter speed is only 1/4000th, compared to 1/8000th of a 5D2 or 5D3 or other higher end bodies. Its x-sync speed for flash is only at 1/160th compared 1/200th for a 5D2, 5D3.

These 2 factors alone can dramatically impact the way you shoot at wide apertures outdoors in bright sunlight etc, among other reasons.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need high ISO, then the 5D3 is the go.
    No good spening a lot of cash if the camera isn't going to do what you want.
    The 5D3 has a faster FPs than the 6D or 5D2 as well.

You'll see an instant improvement in IQ with a 5D3.
    I can't believe how much nicer my photos are now, and how high I can push the ISO with the 5D3 compared to my 60D.

Where I wouldn't want to go above 800 ISO on my 60D, 6400 is still almost noiseless on the 5D3, even for large prints.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.